1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread さんじゅうなな

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Samson, Apr 17, 2019.

1. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

If it is the same steam account, that might be possible. Are you sure the data usage has counted the game download? Also, the download files will be compressed compared to the install space; it might only download 13gb for a 20gb-on-hard-drive title.

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

That might happen in some countries with a lot of fringe parties and enough people willing to vote for them.

This is the excuse Justin Trudeau used to wiggle out of his promise that 2015 would be the last election Canada ever had using the FPTP system. When the parliamentary committee didn't come back with the system he favored (ranked ballots, which basically assured that the Liberals would never be lower than 2nd and therefore if they didn't win the election they would at least be the Official Opposition), he made the cabinet minister in charge give a speech about how no consensus was reached. The fact is, the non-Liberals and non-Conservatives would have preferred proportional representation.

Trudeau trotted out the "but this might mean electing a western separatist or neo-Nazi to Parliament" nonsense. He knows full well that nobody takes western separatists seriously, and due to the hate speech laws, no neo-Nazi would ever have any chance of being elected (at least not those calling themselves by that term; we've had others not so honest being elected). Trudeau just doesn't want the NDP to get anywhere near Opposition status like they did in 2011, and doesn't want the Greens to have more than they do now (a whopping 2 seats; the second was won in a recent byelection).

Canada's Senate is comprised of people who were appointed. The only definite qualifications include being a Canadian citizen who owns at least $4000 worth of property in their province of residence ("property" being defined as a home). If not for that pesky detail, I could be appointed to the Senate tomorrow, and the job would be guaranteed until I turned 75 or irredeemably disgraced my office, whichever comes first. There's a senator they're currently trying to toss out for that reason - Lynne Beyak, who insists that the native residential schools were really good and benign places, run by "kindly teachers" (who beat and raped many of the kids, sometimes for incredibly trivial reasons or no reason at all), and posted a slew of racist letters on her official website supporting her contention. It's taking a really long time to get rid of her, but some progress has been made.

We will not have official senate elections any time soon, as that would mean renegotiating the Constitution, which nobody wants to do because it's such a headache and would probably take years.

Kyriakos likes this.
  3. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

That is cool to know. Thank you! Sounds like fresh hell to me, but generally I'd say that probably means it's working. ;)

4. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Well, it's not so much the cars themselves that I'm attached to, that only makes sense when you literally run out of space. It's the sheer density that makes almost every single thing some form of "get off my lawn or I'll f you up" and it stretches so far it's actually difficult/impossible to escape. Literally claustrophobia inducing.

5. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Poked about for a bit, and went to ground-view google maps to poke around some more. The green-map bits of Devon seem beautiful.

Silurian likes this.
  6. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

@Truronian please confirm this statement

7. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

In the US there are a lot of homes which are isolated, but for a reason, individual farms, or people live there that work the land in some other way or a business that needs to be in that location. Towns and cities are fairly tight, but not tight like Europe is. But you also get a substantial number of people who just move as far from other people as they can afford to do. And sometimes that's really far.

From a large American city it can easily take an hour.

8. Samson

Samson Chieftain

In London those 15 miles can easily take more than an hour.

Silurian likes this.
  9. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Very pretty.

Geography varies pretty significantly. That seems to make a lot of sense with the rolling hills, streams, and forested areas. There are clusters of non-incorporated houses scattered about around here, generally along a rail line or significant county road(a good first glance indicator of when they sprung up), but a lot of it just isn't. I am pretty easy to make claustrophobic though, I gotta admit. I am simply not used to tripping all over other people's bespoke stuff. When/where there is a park, it generally has hours. If you really gotta go, you can make a pretense of being behind the car door. Here's an aerial that purports to be somewhere in Lyndon Township, situated between the earlier mentioned Moline and Rockford. They have better lines than I'm used to. There are more towers and huge amounts of nighttime light pollution as you drift closer to the greater Chicagoland suburban area.

Spoiler :

Edit: I don't think the picture translates well. I remember loving the weather in England for the short time I managed to get there. Nice soft rain, and sun, then rain, then sun: very alive. So in the spirit of trying to find some of what makes the scenery actually nice, I fiddled about until I settled on a video. Made me feel a little bit better about the godawful spring we're having. :lol:

Spoiler :

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    tjs282 and Silurian like this.
  10. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Double post, I know, but I'm restless and may have been drinking. Thank you for humoring me, Silurian. Talk about anything at all with a farm kid during the spring* and they're going to turn it, somehow, into a conversation about the weather.

I really do love it though. There is this feel to everything right when a storm rolls in, particularly if just before dusk. The smell of everything changes, fecund dirt and the sickly sweet decay of unsuccessful pinfeathered beings mixed with an explosion of leaves and a cacophony of pollen. Lives and deaths pregnant on the breeze, distinct yet fundamentally exchangeable, gradations of each other. Color saturation deepens, grass greener than midday, never softer nor more tender, still pristine and unshorn by tooth or blade. Day flares from the western horizon even as it begins to fall, spent, unto Virgo's traverse. Animals stop, anticipating the wrath to come, the creatures of day and darkness together. All available worlds are held in an ephemeral abeyance, even the wind falls silent before giving into cold wrath.

I'm not sure if that counts as a sort of scenery, but I haven't found quite the like elsewhere. Gotta love home for somewhy, I suppose!

The praise for English weather wasn't empty or manners. I really did enjoy it. Spent a week in Sacramento California once, the vaunted sunshine, 80 degrees, no wind, no change, almost forever perfect. It felt dead, somehow, even though I know I'm wrong. I just hadn't trained my senses to appreciate it, they were not attuned. Probably should have visited the ocean, the sight lines and motion would probably have done me good.

*especially if it's wet

11. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

The parking lot is pretty cool looking. Is there ever high water so high that becomes an issue with strips of land like that?

12. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Question, does anyone know about any medieval-style recipes that can be made with modern ingredients? I'm working on a friends birthday party and he is a huge fan of medieval fantasy rpgs and the rest of us were thinking about doing a sort of medieval feast.

haroon likes this.
  13. haroon

haroon Chieftain

Have you seen this? I watched this a while ago

From a quick search I found this interesting video:

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  14. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

I like the peasant food episode better. :)

haroon likes this.
  15. haroon

haroon Chieftain

Me too I chose Salmon over chicken, any time any day I don't know why :lol:

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Me2. Total yum!

haroon likes this.
  17. cardgame

the eternal pot can certainly be done @Ajidica

for something probably more tasty, pheasant has been around for a long time.

haroon likes this.
  18. haroon

haroon Chieftain

For me it's come with the fact that the peasantry food actually our contemporary luxury food (at least from my view Salmon is a luxury), otoh the noble dishes pretty much using our common daily food. Such irony

19. cardgame

Kind of like how we used to feed prisoners lobster in the 19th century

hobbsyoyo and haroon like this.
  20. haroon

haroon Chieftain

hahaha TIL! really?

hobbsyoyo likes this.