1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread さんじゅうなな

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Samson, Apr 17, 2019.

1. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Kingmaker isn't flagged by my spellchecker. Odd.

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I recently went back to using Opera, which means I have to re-add some words.

3. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Was the Steam controller discontinued or something? Why is it going online for $170 Canadian? That's more than double what I anticipated.

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was discontinued

5. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Question: Several years ago, I had a microwave-safe plate break in the microwave. (It pretty much just split in half.) Why would this happen?

6. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Moisture is the most probable cause. Maybe it wasn't sealed as well as it should have been. Unless a crack was caused by being dropped and moisture seeped into the crack.

7. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Possibly wet goop on the tray? If you have a bag of microwave popcorn and food leftover (grease spatter whatever) on your tray, it can create too good a heat transference between the popping film and the tray, instead of the popcorn which is the goal. You can definitely blast the microwave tray itself doing that. Personally tested. Microwave safe is a tolerance, not an absolute.

8. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

It was probably damaged in a small way that you didn't see before going into the microwave. And then the rapid heating finished what was already started.

9. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I can't remember what I was cooking but those answers make sense.

10. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

Why do people watch professional gaming?

11. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

While I don't get the fascination myself (why would I watch someone else playing if I can play myself?), I compare it to any type of sports (soccer, basketball, whatever), and there it's the same: People watch a competition, but they could be playing themself.
    But it wouldn't be as good.
    ...and I don't know. Not watching any team sports myself, so that fascination is a bit lost on me at all :dunno: :D.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Hmmmm, some games can be fun to watch. But I'd honestly rather spend 40 minutes actually playing the game rather than watching a stream.

13. haroon

haroon Chieftain

I like it, the game is more like a platform for the character that you watch playing the game. Watching videogamedunkey playthrough is fun and entertaining for me, it's more about his commentary and perspective to the game than simply watching someone playing the game.

14. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Well… that depends on the game. Some games (or some camapigns within a game) are really interactive stories so you can watch while the story unfolds and the one person plays.

But watching MOBA replays, hmmm, no, I don't think so. There's no plot to those.

15. haroon

haroon Chieftain

I understand why you are confuse, there were time when I play this moba game call mobile legend, I use to see a pro replay of a particular character to give me the idea of the correct use of skill, farming pattern, equipment set and the general strategy. It actually save me lot of game hour and improve my playthrough a lot. Thats how you learn it raw from copying the pro playing pattern, but there's also a pro player that makes a break down detail of a character with commentary, like Hororo Chan, she specialized her content just for that.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  16. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

How would a mobile and/or intelligent autotroph exist? Suppose you could tailor the environment to your liking. How far could you negate the issues that Earth autotrophs have with movement (e.g. adding higher intensity light, less gravity)? What would make it a viable evolutionary path?

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  17. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

I think it would have to be some sort of wind medusa, harvesting solar flares with its nebula wings while the tentacles drain water from the clouds.
    Of course, you'd need some sort of spectrum reduction in the light frequencies to offset reflexion and avoid the wings get burnt. The fritillary wings are known to be extremely fragile.
    Inverting the gravitational force would arguably help the wind medusa dwell closer to the planet's ceiling where the clouds are formed but I don't see that as a necessity. Wind medusas are supposed to have a wingspan over 60 metres, and they're not supposed to have any problems ascending to great heights.
    It's actually conceivable that sticking magnetic fields above the sky dome would allow the wind medusa to crawl on the bottom of the sky lol then of course there's the cooling system I think autrotoph sea nebusas will dry in under 20 minutes if the water temperature goes above 90°F... maybe add in some venting, I don't know. Also the chrysalis is a concern but I think it could just be attached flapping up there.

^ work in progress

18. Samson

Samson Chieftain

There are mobile autotrophs on earth, for example the are Euglenids that have flagella and chloroplasts. There are also things like tumbleweed. The problem is problem is moving takes energy, and photosynthesis does not lend itself to high power to weight ratios. The reason it is not more common is there is rarely much need for it.
    For intelligence, this is much the same argument but more so. Thinking takes lots of energy, and plants have even less need of it than moving.
    To make either a viable evolutionary path you need to provide the reason, and have that reason not be able to do it better than the plant. If that reason was "predation" by heterotrophs I think it will generally favour the heterotroph, as they have access to more energy dense input (the autotroph). I wonder if irregularly moving ocean vents could be that reason. The long lived creature lives off the chemicals from the black smokers, building up energy stores. When one vent finishes it lives off it reserves while it hunts for another, using its knowledge and intelligence to find it.

Euglenids:

19. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Warlord

Ask your friends.

Lohrenswald likes this.
  20. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁

chemtrails