The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread さんじゅうなな

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel a useful guideline is whether google provides an immediate, obvious, intuitive result.
This is not the case here. (It was for the Greek numerals in earlier installments.)
So that's burdensome.
Conversely: Anglospherians compulsively complain and demand rule enforcement whenever there's an well known quote, line from literature, etc. just in the original language, and google would have immediatly told them as much.
That's also burdensome.
As I said, that's not the point. We should not need Google. Common courtesy would be to provide a translation here.

The point is that non-arabic or non-Roman numerals confuse the hell out of everyone but a handful of people who know the language in question, and not providing a translation is basically a jerk move. "Don't be a jerk" is one of OT's rules.

I don't think I'm asking for anything unreasonable. If people want to use non-English alphabets for the numbers of serial threads, they should have to provide a translation of them in the OP. At the very least it will help the person who gets post #1000 to figure out what the number of the next one should be.

If knowledge of the number provided any benefit, I might be bothered to care.
The old one is closed and there is only one open (except at the crossover)
I didn't open this thread because of the number, but because of the title.
And most of us are just marking time here anyway so does it matter if it takes 2 extra seconds to check the spoiler and quickly see what the number is.

A question about astronomy...
Anyone know which star of the Cygnus Constellation Lovecraft would refer to (just) as Cygnus?
Only clue is that it isn't Deneb (Cygnus A), cause he refers to that by name. In the passage he says that the Colour out of Space apparently went to the point between Cygnus and Deneb... :)

The story was written in the early 1930s, iirc.

There are times to be a rules Nazi, but this is not one of them. One only has to click on the link in the first post to see the previous one and do the complicated math of adding 1 if knowing that number is critical one's peace of mind. The use of non English numbers create a learning opportunity for those of us who are stupid about such things. Praise to our resident citrus seller.

I would have written ignorant rather than stupid there, Birdjaguar.

As for myself, I can promise that I shall not make use of hiragana numerals when I reclaim this thread.

You could promise, but you won't. Right? :p

Do you want me to quote from TVTropes on the subject of will and shall, cardgame?

A question about astronomy...
Anyone know which star of the Cygnus Constellation Lovecraft would refer to (just) as Cygnus?
Only clue is that it isn't Deneb (Cygnus A), cause he refers to that by name. In the passage he says that the Colour out of Space apparently went to the point between Cygnus and Deneb... :)

The story was written in the early 1930s, iirc.
There's an interesting astronomy book called Star Names: Their Lore and Meaning, by Richard Hinckley Allen. A lot of the information in there is focused on Greek and Arabic names for the same stars and groups of stars. Consulting a good quality star atlas would also be helpful. Since I have a copy of the Allen book (just took it off the shelf in one of my library rooms), I'll have a look after I'm done my NaNoWriMo stuff. Not guaranteeing the answer will be there, but it won't hurt to try.

There are times to be a rules Nazi, but this is not one of them. One only has to click on the link in the first post to see the previous one and do the complicated math of adding 1 if knowing that number is critical one's peace of mind. The use of non English numbers create a learning opportunity for those of us who are stupid about such things. Praise to our resident citrus seller.
:rolleyes:

So wanting a translation rule that's not very different from the one pertaining to sigs and posts is being a "rules Nazi"? :hmm:

Give me a break, Birdjaguar. :huh:There are times to be rude and times not to be rude. This is one of the times not to be rude. If everyone does non-Arabic/Roman numerals, it's going to take adding a lot more than just 1 to the previous post.

EDIT: @Kyriakos: Sorry, but my vision isn't good enough to read books yet. Everything's still a blur. :( But if you can find a copy of this book, the entry for Cygnus starts on page 192. My only other suggestion would be to consult an atlas.

Last edited:
But if the OP of the thread includes the arabic numeral of the last thread within the text post there's no issue.

But if the OP of the thread includes the arabic numeral of the last thread within the text post there's no issue.
Why are you assuming the previous thread is even going to have an arabic numeral?

Honestly it doesn't matter in the slightest, the number of serial threads is purely decorative. If you want to go back to the old one(s) just navigate there with the OP links because it's not like the site's search is particularly good anyway.

Saturday, working, reviewing hundreds of CV that waiting on the line (in some recruitment web). However I encounter with one CV that's really caught my attention. The owner of the CV have a defect in one of his eye, he is partially blind, but he upload his picture both in his profile and in his attached CV, clearly showing the condition of his eye (he is applies to be finance officer). Objectively speaking his academic prestige is really below of what I consider to be good (equal or above 3 out of 4, while he has 2.7) however he has a decent working experience, and the confidence that he did on uploading his picture I cannot help but to respect that. I also imagine the suffering and the struggle that he has in life, but it seems it just making him harder, he seems hard as a nail. So I let him pass, which normally I don't let such qualification pass, now I stare at my laptop and thinking, am I being fair to other applicant?

It is also good to have people with different back grounds as the different experience produces a more robust organisation

this perspective is gold, thank you, unless society give them equal treatment, I feel tipping the scale for them is the right thing to do.

Saturday, working, reviewing hundreds of CV that waiting on the line (in some recruitment web). However I encounter with one CV that's really caught my attention. The owner of the CV have a defect in one of his eye, he is partially blind, but he upload his picture both in his profile and in his attached CV, clearly showing the condition of his eye (he is applies to be finance officer). Objectively speaking his academic prestige is really below of what I consider to be good (equal or above 3 out of 4, while he has 2.7) however he has a decent working experience, and the confidence that he did on uploading his picture I cannot help but to respect that. I also imagine the suffering and the struggle that he has in life, but it seems it just making him harder, he seems hard as a nail. So I let him pass, which normally I don't let such qualification pass, now I stare at my laptop and thinking, am I being fair to other applicant?

Then he shows up in the interview, thinking "my trick of using make-up to present my eye as not working did it for me once again!" ^_^

Joking - my sense of humour is morbid. At any rate, as Silurian said, you will know when you interview him.

Then he shows up in the interview, thinking "my trick of using make-up to present my eye as not working did it for me once again!" ^_^

Joking - my sense of humour is morbid. At any rate, as Silurian said, you will know when you interview him.

Now I'm tainted for two things, first you makes me laugh at your morbid joke, second you also makes me realized that there is this split second when I examined his resume that I assumed he maybe used this as a trick to draws the recruiter's sympathy, which I dismiss it for a millisecond and buried deep in the back of my mind. It seems like (you and) I have lost trust on people in general.

The European/Asian convention of having selfies and grades on CVs is strange.

I don't really understand how this person's "2.7 is another person's 3.2" unless we're assuming someone with partial blindness is comparatively an idiot to a "normal" person. The pity is honestly weird. He's just a dude trying to get a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom