1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread さんじゅうなな

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Samson, Apr 17, 2019.

1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Haha forest bugs are no flipping joke in Missouri. Once I went hiking with a friend and I commented on the weird ankle bracelet he had on. He had a solid ring of big black ticks biting all around his ankle. That happened not once but twice on that hike. Probably 30 ticks each time, no exaggeration.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

If he was in Australia he would be dead now.

3. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Blue ticks are the worst.

tjs282, Cutlass and Kyriakos like this.
  4. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

When you lie or sit in the grass the traditional picnic blanket.
    A good hot shower and a mirror or a friend to check your back, your neck, your buttock groove.

What I understand is that it takes a while before you get infected from tick parasites.
    The tick will be sucking blood for 24-72 hours from that same spot on your skin, growing bigger and bigger. And in the first phase the likelyhood on parasites going from the tick to your blood is small.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Maybe there were some nazi experiments on this. Like for other matters, including how soon you will bleed out if amputated, or die from cold naked in the snow.

6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

You're right and I forgot there is about a 12 hour delay between bite and disease transmission for some reason.

7. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

I'm glad ticks are a rarity around here, they sometimes hitch a ride north on wild animals, but rarely make it through the winter. They sound really unpleasant. But with rising temperatures they'll eventually be able to survive our winters too.

8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

We don't see many in NM either. too dry.

9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

They aren't a huge deal outside of areas with Lyme disease. Chiggers though...oh my god never again. They don't bite you so much as they digest you. The thing with my friend's ankle was extreme and I've never seen anything like that before or since. Usually it's just one or two on you at most.

Snerk likes this.
  10. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

What weather apps do you guys use on your phones? I've used the Weather Channel app for years but lately its gotten bloated, slow, and autoplays video which eats into my limited data package. Getting a bit fed up with it to be honest. (FWIW I have an iPhone SE.)

11. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

"transparent clock and weather" widget

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

I use Weather Channel. Avoid anything from AccuWeather if you can. The CEO of that company (Barry Myers) has a track record of suing NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - the national weather service) to prevent the government from giving out weather forecasts. NOAA makes all of the weather data available free of charge to private companies like AccuWeather to use to make their own forecasts. This free data (easily worth billions) isn't enough, this guy wants the government to cease using the data it collects to provide forecasts.

Anyways, Trump has put forward this guy to run NOAA and the Senate has balked. He refused to divest of AccuWeather which is an obvious and blatant conflict of interest and the rest of the GOP won't have it. He's been stalled for years at this point and recently made moves to put his assets in blind trusts but everyone knows that's not enough.

The_J and Ajidica like this.
  13. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Well, of course not. Everyone can see how well that is going on along Pennsylvania Avenue.

I use the BBC Weather app. It's generally very accurate for my purposes.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  14. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Weather Channel on my laptop. If it's too slow to update, I do what we did before the computer age: I look out the window.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. Samson

Samson Chieftain

It is not an app, but I use http://www.wetterzentrale.de/. No other site allows you to see the uncertainty in the forecast.

It is in German, I select "Diagrams" from the top menu, then GFS (or GEM, not sure what the difference is). I enter a relevant city in the "Select City" box, and choose "Temp 850hPa & Precipitation". Ths shows a graph, every line is a model, along the bottom precipitation and in the middle temperature. Where they mostly agree you can be pretty sure of the forecast, when they diverge there is a lot of uncertainty.

Spoiler Example Weather Chart :
    So this is the forecast for London:

It will change, but currently there is a high confidence rain on the 19th, and a high confidence drop in temperature on the 20th. There is less confidence about whether it will rain that day. After about the 23rd anything may happen.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Birdjaguar and Hrothbern like this.
  16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Well US weather forecasting could potentially turn to trash so maybe it doesn't matter which one you go with. :(

The FCC is trying to auction off rights to specific radio frequencies for use by mobile phone carriers. Scientist are fighting the FCC and trying to point out that this spectrum is used to measure water vapor in the atmosphere which is kind of important for weather models. Unfortunately, Verizon told Ajit Pai there's no problem with this so he's pushing ahead with the auction. He's even gone so far as to say there's not been a study which shows negative effects of the auction on weather observation. He's simultaneously arguing that a study done by a 'federal partner' (NASA or NOAA) was 'fatally flawed' and I'm sure that he was definitely not fed that line by Verizon.

You gotta ask, why is that acceptable, Mr Pai? Don't you think it's important to have these kinds of studies resolved before you make potentially catastrophic policy changes?

NOAA and NASA are fighting the FCC on this but it's Pai's baby to drag into the bathtub and drown while praying to the ghost of Reagan.

He's one of the clowns that most deserves to go to prison from this administration but will almost certainly end up with a cushy job at Verizon when the dust settles. He was actually an Obama appointee but Trump promoted him to chair and gave him a mandate to increase profit margins for Verizon et al and he's certainly run with it.

https://spacenews.com/fcc-dismisses...rference-with-satellite-weather-observations/

This is what Resistbot is for folks. Text your peeps in congress and tell them to stop this madness!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Hrothbern and Cutlass like this.
  17. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Oh please, the only dancing duo including a pretty girl I've been able to put up with is Kuzmina-Russo (if you don't know who they are then ask Sofista or watch RAI). And that's mostly because of Angelo's great charisma.
    Good Lord, people have combined ice-skating with boleros?

18. Valka D'Ur

Ravel's "Bolero."

It's tolerable for about a minute. But like the Energizer Bunny, it keeps going and going and going... it's just all the same - no different movements to separate the various parts of the piece. I'm talking about the music, not the ice dancing; Torvill and Dean did some really original choreography in some of their programs. And later on, they did choreography for a French-Canadian ice dancing pair who skated for France (dual citizenship allowed this). Christopher Dean ended up marrying the female half of that pair (brother/sister Paul & Isabelle Duschenay, who brought the house down at the '88 Olympics but were nowhere near the medals since the judges didn't know what to make of their programs).

Anyway, here is "Bolero" (this is the 1994 tribute performance to the original done at the 1984 Olympics; they reprised it 10 years later at the Lillehammer Olympics):

Like I said, I consider it tedious; there's only so much repetitious stuff I can take, and these two were never among my favorite teams although they did a lot of creative choreography.

19. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

I've composed a song. The lyrics are solid, because that's something I'm good at. But I'm not terribly musical. Took guitar lessons in junior high.

Anyway, I plinked it out note by note on lmms (Garageband for Windows). It's all on the white keys of a piano (nary a sharp or flat in the entire composition) and all within about an octave-and-a-half range, in (I assume) the key of C.

Here's my question to those of you who are more musical (@Hygro, maybe): Is that to be expected for a naive songwriter, that he would use just the white keys? Are those the "simple," go-to notes to which one would tend to go if one had little actual musical knowledge or experience composing?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  20. Valka D'Ur

Basically, yes. The key of C is the first one most people learn, and the one they tend to "think" in.

But just because C has no black keys, don't assume all melodies are necessarily going to be simple ones. It's amazing how you can dress up "Chopsticks", particularly on an organ. I did an arrangement that makes decent music if you want to dance a waltz.