The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XLI

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cardgame, Oct 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Full Metal Jacket comes to mind, but all i remember from that movie is the drill Sargent and that fat recruit.
    And the boot camp.

haroon and warpus like this.
  2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Historical drama (that war was long enough ago to be considered historical, and I say this even though it started during my lifetime) should not just be whatever the director thinks is "cool." Especially when there are still people alive who were there and remember how it really was.

Or even if it's not strictly historical drama... The Handmaid's Tale is a dystopian near-future history (to use the generally accepted SF genre terms) that partially takes place in Canada, and it drives me up the wall how the producers just make <censored> up. It's insane that the show is based on a bestselling, never-out-of-print Canadian novel, it's filmed in Canada, there are many Canadians working on it both in front of and behind the camera, yet the writers don't seem to know the first thing about Canada and they don't appear to have any advisors to explain how our political system and immigration policies work. Seriously, if you don't understand it and it's critical to the plot, learn about it. FFS, Margaret Atwood herself is one of the executive producers - bring her in and let her explain that what the writers have written in some scenes is pure garbage that's going to make every Canadian viewer have an immediate "WTF???" reaction.

Not to mention that the capital is Ottawa, not Toronto.

3. r16

r16 not deity

we were Soldiers is as accurate it can get , and with the coming hate of Asiatics or whatever to America it may take a while an equivalent to be filmed . Or something . In it you will see Americans brimming with full confidence advancing in every direction , because the "smart" thing for the NVN would be ... to run . Americans must capture prisoners . So , when the "flank attack" happens , they are cut off or pushed back . And every flank attack becomes head to head combat at the point of contact . And the random firing as the helicopters land makes full sense . Keeping enemy heads down , because you can bring down an helicopter with a single hit , despite the engineering bunch's readiness to object . There was even some little artillery preparation as ı remember .

mel Gibson's character wrote the book , advised during the making of the movie and was fully cordial with the Vietnamese some 30 or so years after they fought . Platoon or this Full Metal thing are kinda marred with a certain amount of stress on Vietnam was wrong , as in everything was wrong , beyond any grace . Apolo something was carried to Vietnam as there was no American war in Africa at the time .

Farm Boy likes this.
  4. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

The combat sections of We Were Soldiers are much better than most war movies. They even did a reasonably good job with the Vietnamese side of things. The man with the picture of his gal back home was poignant.

The only really dumb parts were the women pretending they didn't know how racism worked during segregation.

However, the devastation at home as their boys fall was better again.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Maybe you just invented a new type of pasta that hipsters will like. Call it muddetti or something and sell out

I have a thing against out of control authority figures, and boot camps seem to be full of sargeants who abuse everybody around them. I did not enjoy watching this movie really, but it was a while too so I could be misremembering. Just having someone yell at people for half a movie isn't my idea of fun tho

6. r16

r16 not deity

superior American firepower in real life makes it somewhat hard to decide to which category a movie belongs . Average Hollywood BS or accurate ? ı tend to give the benefit of doubt and mark everything BS .Getting old jades one over time and ı will give up in some many cases to watch a thing from the beginning to the end ; though the DVD channel format ensures you will be encountering a bootleg or whatever thing so many times . We were Soldiers encountered at least 5 or 6 times . Americans destroying Vietnamese human waves , napalm , artillery ; and am not even a movie critic (to challenge a remake of the 3 feathers thing in which the guy loves the girl , resigns before the campaign to avenge Chinese Gordon and the girl declares the guy a coward . That movie ends with the real life massacre of Omdurman and the critics just call that a Western PR effort during the War on Terror !)

then one night , ı recognize Julieanne Moore . Seems to be a thriller , she is hiding from a taxi driver . Gotta understand that ı surf a lot , "watching" 10 channels most of the time ... Surprising turn of events that will turn out to be ... Horrible , terrible , superb . That kind of pain is rare in war movies , at least in the ones ı have seen yet . Made me watch the entire movie , next time ı encountered it .

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I was excited about We were soldiers because the movie description was something like: "The first American units to engage the Vietnamese are surprised by the level of resistence"

But then when the fighting starts the Vietnamese soldiers run at the Americans like morons, and every once in a while you see a shot of Mel Gibson standing up and firing his gun randomly in slo mo. Yeah, okay, I'm pretty sure the guerrila warfare thing the Vietnamese were good at did not work like that BUT I AM NOT AN EXPERT SO I COULD HAVE THIS BACKWARDS

8. r16

r16 not deity

american firepower reigned supreme in those days . Hanoi wanted a showdown . Americans were flying South Vietnamese into action in helicopters and supporting them with planes and stuff . Quite a few advisers had been killed . Fighting to a successful end seemed possible . Defeating a sizeable American force would create a political result , reminding Washington of the French paratroopers in Dien Bien Phu ... But and this is really a BUT , the Airborne turned out to be a different thing . Non-stop reinforcement , full American fire support because those dying in the field were American troops and not "worthless" South Vietnamese . There would have been tactical nuclear strikes if it was what it would take .

and human wave thing can work . Or could , in those days . It requires a certain amount of frenzy . And if you see yours friends crouching and taking careful aim , say to shoot some American colonel , you too might crouch and take careful aim . Soon , you will find yourself fully on the ground , busy digging a fox hole ... And not crazily charging ...

9. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

R16 is correct. That is how that battle went down. Confirmed by surviving vets on both sides. The movie is pretty damn accurate regarding the history. Minus American women not knowing how thier country worked. That was pretty much the only stupid thing in the telling.

Well, they wouldn't have and didn't tac nuke when units were overrun. It happened. No nukes.

I do remember being humbled when I realized the old WW2 fighters would definitely have been doing strafing runs as depicted though.

10. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

New questions-not-(originally)-worth-their-own-thread:

How hot do electric car engines get?
    How noisy are car engines powered by hydrogen or biogas?
    Also, how easy can a hydrogen engine be converted to biogas?

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

No idea

No idea

No idea

I probably shouldn't have responded

still it's still better than HEY I KNOW it's actually exactly 12.7 car power units

12. haroon

haroon Deity

That's the best part of the movie, the movie can end there or focus entirely there, it would become even more legendary in my view.

13. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

A friend of mine has a gas-powered KIA. I don't remember anything specific about the car, besides that fueling it makes a weird gurgling sound. So I guess it's not more noisy, at least.

14. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

So, who would be the fattest internet celebrity/youtuber/streamer?
    I am not aware of anyone incredibly fat (Wings is fat, but nowhere near record-breaking territory; going by his own claims he should be around 400 lbs at 5.10 height).

15. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

AFAIK fuel cells dont have significant moving parts, so a hydrogen cell should not be any noisier than any other electric car.

16. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

The only decent Mel Gibson movie I've ever seen is Hamlet.

Body-shaming is not cool. :nono:

I heard the exact voices in my head as I read this.

I lived on it for awhile, when money was really tight. The grocery store would have 10/10 sales (10 cans for $10) and a can provided 2 meals/day.

Back in those days, as now, the cats' food came first. I'm just glad to have more options now (though I do have a couple of cans of ravioli in the pantry). There's a container of restaurant takeout in the fridge, which I'll have for supper tonight.

warpus likes this.
  17. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

@warpus War movie: Saving Private Ryan.

warpus likes this.
  18. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

19. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I really liked this one (watched it a while ago tho)

20. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

This question has wandered off to a strange new thread...

Really? All the taxis round here are hybrids, so when they are on residential streets they are running electric. There is a slight electric whine and some wheel noise, but basically almost silent. I think some all electrics have to make "fake" noise so people can hear them coming.

Batteries get hot, so presumably the batteries get hot. I know some electric cars have heaters to stop the batteries getting too cold. They cant get very hot since (even with the air-con off) range is reduced in very cold weather.

Dunno :shrug: