The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XLI

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cardgame, Oct 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

So I'm bringing it back here.
    :think:

What about milk floats?
    I'll need to do further research, it seems.

Pity that MaryKB is away from the forums these days. She has/had a hybrid car and could've enlightened us with her personal experience.

2. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

Electric engines get hot and need cooled. They're less heat wasteful than combustion(maybe 10 to 15 percent thermal waste instead of like 50), but tend to have less robust cooling mechanisms. The batteries work poorly in the cold. They also generate some heat charging.

3. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Actually, if i remember correctly, some city tried going to all electric buses but had problems in winter 'cause the cold cut the battery life down to like one third.

4. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The long wait

Yeah, it's a pretty fundamental problem with the tech thus far.

5. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Funny 'cause they used to advise you to store your batteries in the fridge.

6. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Not hot enough to need a radiator or other than air cooling. Too hot to touch with your bare hand after it's been running a while.

Essentially the same as any other internal combustion engine.

It's more or less the same thing already.

7. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Not sure thats accurate. Hydrogen runs a fuel cell to make electricity. It is, to all intents, an electric car with a different battery. No combustion, no moving parts.

8. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Send her a PM. She might answer.

9. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

This. I'm familiar with natural-gas engines that simply burn hydrocarbons, but I'm underinformed regarding fuel-cell engines.
    Maybe I will.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  10. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Quite probably it was Minneapolis or Duluth.
    https://minnesotareformer.com/2021/...ransit-agencies-transition-to-electric-buses/
    (The Star Tribune articles - the paper of record in the Twin Cities - is paywalled, so I had to go here. )

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Is ANTIFA an organization for ants?

edit: That was clearly a joke, as ANTIFA obviously stands for the Ant International Football Association.. here's several questions I've had on my mind recently, something more serious.

If I was interested in purchasing some property in Germany, what websites would I use to look through what's on the market? According to my research there aren't any restrictions on foreigners buying property in Germany. But where do I find them? So far the only websites I've found look like they were made in the 1980s. Are there different websites and/or regulatory bodies for each province?

I'm not actually interested in purchasing German property (right now), but I do want to look around and see what's available. Here in Canada I can jump on realtor.ca or a number of other websites and get solid listings of everything available - with lots of photos and other details.

Is there something like that for Ostfriesland? It's the part of Germany right by Holland & and the North Sea. I used to live there and I want to poke around the state of their real estate market and see what it's like, to get a sense of prices, etc. Not that many people live in this part of Germany, but it is close to lots of beaches and other vacation-like destinations.. It seems to me that eventually nostalgia might win over and I might be able to join forces with relatives I have in Germany (and Poland) who are younger and are starting out careers, etc. If we could one day purchase a house near the sea in Ostfriesland, that would be a fun little place to be able to visit, as a sort of headquarters from where I explore the rest of Ostfriesland, for nostalgic reasons. Plus we could potentially rent it out to other vacationers.

I am looking at towns like Norden, Esens, Wittmund, Aurich, Westerholt.. These are towns from my childhood. Anything in this area would really qualify. I also would be open to checking out what's available on the islands (Ostfriesische inseln).. or really anywhere in Ostfriesland. Wilhelmshaven is a larger city, but I have memories from there too. It's really too bad there is no google map street view in Germany, it would allow me to tap into that nostalgia a lot more easily. But ah well, I accepted that a while ago. Ideally I would love to just be able to click around different parts of Germany (Berlin, Muenchen, etc.) and see what they've got.

Having said all that... what website do you use to look at real estate in your country or part of the world? I have looked up random real estate options in Poland, but there it also seems like all you get are websites that look like they were built in the 1980s.. or maybe I just didn't look hard enough? Prices in Poland are cheaper than in Germany, and in theory I could team up with relatives to buy something for the family, at some point in the future. I have looked near Zakopane (near the mountains), in my home town, in Warsaw, and by the sea (Gdansk/Gdynia/Sopot), but.. again, the only websites that seem to pop up are crappy ones.

I am also sort of getting addicted to occasionally looking at real estate prices in different places. The other day I was checking out how much you'd have to shell out to buy a house in Manhattan. (It's pretty much what you imagine). If you know of a good website for South America, or Japan, or anywhere in the world really. Send me the link!! This is now a hobby of mine it seems. I'd be interested in any link like that. I can look up foreign ownership regulations/laws on my own, that's easy enough.

Are real estate websites in North America just that much better than in Europe? Or have I been unlucky in the websites I've found so far? How do you buy a house where you live, what's the process? Where do you search?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  12. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

This won't apply to houses (I don't think so, at least), but every apartment building I've lived in has been the result of finding a listing on Kijiji. I'm not referring to my present address, of course. This is the third apartment I've had in this building. The plumbing in this building hates me, and throws everything at me from leaking pipes to the upstairs neighbor having a flood that created a waterfall inside my walls, a lake in my hallway, and rain in the bathroom. And the manager wondered why I wanted to move. :rolleyes:

It's gotten to the point that if I hear any unusual noise here, or anything that sounds in the least bit like a drip when none of the taps are on, I tend to get a bit panicky.

13. Synsensa

Synsensa Especially the lies. Retired Moderator

If you're purchasing internationally, go through a firm that specializes in facilitating that. It's more expensive, but they step you through the process and can help make things work if you don't feel like physically flying over to look at places.

Also: https://www.immobilienscout24.de/

tjs282 likes this.
  14. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Do you know of Fermant, the famous mathematiciant?

15. Sofista

Sofista Deity

Here you can try casa.it and immobiliare.it. The latter even lets you choose other languages!

warpus likes this.
  16. Samson

Samson Deity

In the UK everyone uses https://www.rightmove.co.uk/

My question, how bad can a car advertised as "Interior need some attention, soil seat" be? For reference, the webuyanycar.com price is ~£2000, I can certainly tell how much it sells for, I may buy it.

warpus likes this.
  17. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

No joy fixing up the convertible then?

18. Samson

Samson Deity

Actually the 206cc is going well, this buying a car for my dad. I have been looking for months as he has been recovering from an op, and now he is nearly at the point where he can be driving again.

I did not get it, it went for £710 and my limit was £620. I wonder how bad it was.

19. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Couldn't Andy Milonakis bother to lose some weight? I mean most people, if they had a hormone condition that allowed them to look like a teen when they are 40, would put some minor work in :)
    Then again, maybe he has other conditions that make weight loss far more difficult.

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Fermat? Of course, but what does that have to do with housing?

Question for anyone: I noticed that in Europe real estate is often referred to as "this-thing-does-not-move" i.e. immobile or the Polish nieruchomosc. Is that just a language thing or is it a cultural thing? We just call it real estate here in North America as far as we know. When I first heard the Polish term, I was confused what they were advertising, since only humans, animals, and some plants move. Any idea where this way of referring to real estate originates? (the linguistic origins - Latin?, or historic)

I used to think that's a silly Polish thing, but now I've seen it in other European countries too.