The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap why the hell is it seemingly impossible to see what I listened to yesterday on spotify? The "recently played" list they have is useless, it lists 30 tracks.

I fell in love with a song yesterday and listened to it like 100 times. I basically had it on loop the whole damn day. Yet it seems impossible to easily figure out what it is.

I swear the "view play history" thing used to be a lot more comprehensive, but now it just seems replaced with a useless list of 30 tracks. If they keep making the UI more and more annoying and less user friendly I am going to have to eventually cancel this service and go with apple music or something

Holy crap why the hell is it seemingly impossible to see what I listened to yesterday on spotify? The "recently played" list they have is useless, it lists 30 tracks.

I fell in love with a song yesterday and listened to it like 100 times. I basically had it on loop the whole damn day. Yet it seems impossible to easily figure out what it is.

I swear the "view play history" thing used to be a lot more comprehensive, but now it just seems replaced with a useless list of 30 tracks. If they keep making the UI more and more annoying and less user friendly I am going to have to eventually cancel this service and go with apple music or something
Is it under Recently Played on your home screen? That lists searches/albums instead of a song list like the history queue.

I am looking at my desktop spotify client, and I found it hidden on the "Play Queue" page, under the "Recently Played" tab. This is a list of songs on my end, but it stops after about 30 and doesn't allow me to see further back in history.

I don't see anything on my home screen like that (edit: It's there, update in the next paragraph). I looked at screenshots that came up when I googled this, and they insist that there is an icon I can click to see this list, but I don't see this icon anywhere. These pages claim this icon is somewhere in the "top right", but it's just not anywhere in the top right or in the top or right or anywhere else that I can see. I could just be blind though, so I'm willing to keep looking for it, assuming it would take me to a proper historical list and not just the last 30 songs I listened to.

I do see a "Recently Played" thing but it is indeed also useless, like you say

I tried looking on my phone, but my spotify client on my phone keeps giving me an error message today, so I gave up on it.

What makes for a good gin for a gin and tonic? Any specific recommendations for next time I order one?

warpus said:
(from other Very Many Questions thread, about chairs)

Looks like you've got yourself set up. But my suggestion was going to be a used, high-quality office chair. At least in this part of the woods, it's often possible to find used Herman Miller chairs from offices that have closed available second-hand. I knew from experience at the office that they cooperated well with my back, so I got one for home. It's a night-and-day difference from my previous office chair, which was a cheap one and wearing out at just 10 years old. It's less of a difference from my mom's $200-odd office chair, but the beauty of it is that if you buy a used one, it's not that much more than a new one of an unknown brand. Or you can go all-out like someone I know and spend $1800 on an Embody, and I don't know, maybe it's even better, but I didn't go that far.

The $1000 your director quoted is enough for the midrange Herman Miller chairs new. If they have a chair that works great for you in the office and is available, fantastic, go with it. What works well for one person isn't necessarily the right choice for another; a different office I worked at had Steelcase chairs that are also not cheap, but were not great for me (they also had concrete floors without carpet, a decision I wouldn't have made for both ergonomics and sound reasons). But I agree with Birdjaguar, don't be cheap for appearances sake if the ones in-office aren't a good fit. You've only got one body, and maybe you've got better health care up north, but whether it's coming from your pocket or tax dollars, at some point the cost of treatment will exceed the cost of even an expensive chair.

Do you get more than the DJ Wang chair? That's a good question, I'm not entirely sure. I'm a bit skeptical of the colorful gaming chairs; there's also a difference between "comfortable for an hour or two" and "comfortable all day"; my dad has an office chair that's amazing for an hour, super soft, cushy, but it's been relegated to secondary duty because if he's going to be doing things for a few hours, it stops being comfortable after awhile. I'm sure there is a brand premium, but there's also a difference in durability; how much will vary by the quality of the lesser-known brand. Finally, the most expensive options are usually made in North America, where the cost of labor is higher; my office chair was made in Michigan. That doesn't necessarily mean the end product is better quality, but if they were trying to compete on price, they'd have outsourced their manufacturing decades ago, so at least you know cost cutting isn't their primary focus.

What makes for a good gin for a gin and tonic? Any specific recommendations for next time I order one?
Good gin. I like Plymouth gin, it is really strongly flavoured. Good tonic water, fever tree is quite acceptable. Something to go in it. I like a squeeze of lemon or lime rather than just a slice, some like cucumber but I think that is mad. Then it is the proportions, but that depends more on you than anything.

Is it under Recently Played on your home screen? That lists searches/albums instead of a song list like the history queue.
I am looking at my desktop spotify client, and I found it hidden on the "Play Queue" page, under the "Recently Played" tab. This is a list of songs on my end, but it stops after about 30 and doesn't allow me to see further back in history.

I don't see anything on my home screen like that (edit: It's there, update in the next paragraph). I looked at screenshots that came up when I googled this, and they insist that there is an icon I can click to see this list, but I don't see this icon anywhere. These pages claim this icon is somewhere in the "top right", but it's just not anywhere in the top right or in the top or right or anywhere else that I can see. I could just be blind though, so I'm willing to keep looking for it, assuming it would take me to a proper historical list and not just the last 30 songs I listened to.

I do see a "Recently Played" thing but it is indeed also useless, like you say

I tried looking on my phone, but my spotify client on my phone keeps giving me an error message today, so I gave up on it.
I just looked on my phone, and Recently Played seems pretty comprehensive. I was curious to see how far back 'recently' was, and I got back through a whole month before I got bored of scrolling down. But this does raise the question of why the desktop PC app is so different from the phone app. On the desktop PC app, for example, I can't see which of the podcasts I subscribe to has a new episode. I can see a list of "new episodes" on my phone, but not on my desktop PC.

I just looked on my phone, and Recently Played seems pretty comprehensive. I was curious to see how far back 'recently' was, and I got back through a whole month before I got bored of scrolling down. But this does raise the question of why the desktop PC app is so different from the phone app. On the desktop PC app, for example, I can't see which of the podcasts I subscribe to has a new episode. I can see a list of "new episodes" on my phone, but not on my desktop PC.

For whatever reason the mobile app doesn't let me load the home page at all, claiming I don't have an internet connection. However, other pages work fine and I am able to search for artists, play songs, etc. So, it seems broken. I haven't really cared to use it in the last two years either, as it seems clunky and I'm around my computer all the time anyway. Where are you going to see recently played in the app? I'm on the iphone and as far as I remember the spotify app was updated recently. I might try uninstalling it and installing it again, if that's the only place where I can access a comprehensive previously played list. Are you seeing this on the main/home page?

They won't find that amusing. While I'm guessing most people take advantage of doing it online now (it is safe; you get a unique secure access code that nobody else can use and a limited amount of time, so you can't start it, wander off for an hour and someone else will read your information), there are still live people checking for any omissions or irregularities.

I remember back in the '80s when someone in the SCA, who was also into SF, listed his religion as "Jedi." He got contacted by an irate StatsCan person who tried to persuade him to change it, but he refused. So eventually they let it stand, since they couldn't prove he doesn't sincerely believe in the Force.

I definitely do not expect paper-pushing bureaucrats to have a sense of humour, so I'll take the appropriate measures and not push them over the line.

For whatever reason the mobile app doesn't let me load the home page at all, claiming I don't have an internet connection. However, other pages work fine and I am able to search for artists, play songs, etc. So, it seems broken. I haven't really cared to use it in the last two years either, as it seems clunky and I'm around my computer all the time anyway. Where are you going to see recently played in the app? I'm on the iphone and as far as I remember the spotify app was updated recently. I might try uninstalling it and installing it again, if that's the only place where I can access a comprehensive previously played list. Are you seeing this on the main/home page?
I use an Android phone, don't know if that makes any difference, but Recently Played is the little Clock icon in the upper-right of the Home page, between the Bell icon and the Gear icon.

I definitely do not expect paper-pushing bureaucrats to have a sense of humour, so I'll take the appropriate measures and not push them over the line.
They can get really pushy for other reasons. They have my email address from the census and voter's list. So they felt free to email me a survey about my holiday travel during the pandemic, and kept harassing me about it for DAYS.

So finally I did fill it out and included a comment that I don't object to answering the census but I did NOT give permission to be contacted for any other reason and would they not do this again.

Which would you choose, if you could have only one: A small spaceship with a crew of plucky misfits (e.g. the Millennium Falcon; Serenity; the Rocinante; the Milano) or a giant space-cruiser with a crew of thousands and a lot of amenities (e.g. USS Enterprise; a Colonial Battlestar; the Space Battleship Yamato; an Imperial Star Destroyer)?

Which would you choose, if you could have only one: A small spaceship with a crew of plucky misfits (e.g. the Millennium Falcon; Serenity; the Rocinante; the Milano) or a giant space-cruiser with a crew of thousands and a lot of amenities (e.g. USS Enterprise; a Colonial Battlestar; the Space Battleship Yamato; an Imperial Star Destroyer)?
Space cruiser with amenities ... USS Enterprise D please.

A TARDIS obviously. It can be bigger and have more amenities than all those combined, while still being small enough to park in my living room.

Count me with the plucky misfits.

A TARDIS obviously. It can be bigger and have more amenities than all those combined, while still being small enough to park in my living room.
If you had a TARDIS, why would you need a living room to park it in? :confused:

Space would be cool, but I'll settle for the pink sand beaches of Eleuthera.

Is there a proven way to pay somebody else's phone bill without me having to log into their payment portal thingy? I can use my online banking, probably, right? All I have is their full name and phone number, is that enough?

I would love to use my credit card to make the payment though, but haven't bothered to call the provider yet to ask them if I can do that over the phone. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? It's supposed to be a birthday gift. I understand it probably comes down to the carrier or whatever (it's Koodo), but maybe this sort of thing is not possible due to privacy laws or whatever, which would be good to know. I tried to google it, but all the pages that come up just help me pay my own bill.

Is there a proven way to pay somebody else's phone bill without me having to log into their payment portal thingy? I can use my online banking, probably, right? All I have is their full name and phone number, is that enough?

I would love to use my credit card to make the payment though, but haven't bothered to call the provider yet to ask them if I can do that over the phone. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? It's supposed to be a birthday gift. I understand it probably comes down to the carrier or whatever (it's Koodo), but maybe this sort of thing is not possible due to privacy laws or whatever, which would be good to know. I tried to google it, but all the pages that come up just help me pay my own bill.
I have tries such things and failed because companies refrain from taking payments from non account holders. Fraud and liability issues abound. Money laundering? It is a nice gesture but I haven't found a way to do it other than just to give the person the money. Now if you live in the same town, you could grab a paper copy of their bill and go down to the company office and pay the bill with cash.

I have tries such things and failed because companies refrain from taking payments from non account holders. Fraud and liability issues abound. Money laundering? It is a nice gesture but I haven't found a way to do it other than just to give the person the money. Now if you live in the same town, you could grab a paper copy of their bill and go down to the company office and pay the bill with cash.

The problem is that I don't want to give this person money, because I don't want to paratke in them potentially relapsing, if you know what I mean.. This is a low cost carrier and I don't know if they have offices aside from those tiny booths @ malls, but I will look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom