The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
When cities win the Olympics, do they typically put in better transportation infrastructure or just sports venues and housing complexes?

Ok but can someone from a banana republic weigh in? I think that would be more instructive to what the US will do in future Olympics. After all, all our politicians keep telling us we can't do the things the rest of the first world does. :p

Ok but can someone from a banana republic weigh in? I think that would be more instructive to what the US will do in future Olympics. After all, all our politicians keep telling us we can't do the things the rest of the first world does. :p

here is some text because no text means this is spam even though the answer is the image and the text serves no purpose but i am a law abiding citizen and therefore here is some text

If the project is aiming for Hunan, the most likely reason they don’t want number is that the officials don’t understand them... at least they are not demanding you to do the work they won’t bother to read anyway. Similar situation happens in other regions as well, and it actually bites hard on some official because of this disease. Many health officials have no idea how many beds they can provide, or how many patients they have received, or how many masks are send to the emergency hospital or the private ones. Not just because of they are faking number but plainly incompetence on the area they were supposed to look in. We expect many changes in positions after the event, can’t just replace them right now with someone who is knowledgeable but with no experience. Many senior officials graduated from Politics in the Unis because there weren’t that many courses opened in there youth time, so after another 10 years things would go better naturally.

In terms of numbers, private businesses in China are all into numbers, while public projects has less concern about budgets, however it is worthy to know that officials want to have works done before the end of their term to put them into their reports, so time limits are always crucial for them. And they are always happy to pay people to do the maths and research they don’t know about, so cheating regulations are not as easy as some people have portraited, though they are happy to make exceptions if the projects they supervise on are big in numbers, so I suppose they do like numbers.
I moved this to a more appropriate thread since we have moved off the virus topic.

I think you are correct that numbers and accountability were pretty scary for Changde officials and on our team's side, getting the project without a commitment to on numbers is less risky. Our team leader was a business man from Changsha with a strong background in real estate development and TV/Movie projects. How and by what criteria they make decisions is still not clear to me, but much of the emphasis seemed to be securing the securing the land for housing plays and then worry about the rest of the project. I'm not sure that is a sound plan anymore. I personally think differently, but was not in a position to object. For me it was a first step in bringing our US think tank, economic development ideas into the Chinese business environment. It was both fun and interesting even if it didn't pan out. The terrible mess created by our president prevented another half a dozen projects too. Too much uncertainty and risk. In any case I found all of the deal making and engagement with a variety of business and provincial/city leaders challenging and interesting. I worked through an interpreter since I don't know Chinese.

I gotta question, so my company want to rent a venue for 5 years (prolong), I'm about to bargain with the building management-because we thought the previous price was too high, before I want to propose the proposal which is lower than the price they demand from us, I argue from estimation of the rent cost from venue around their place, lets say the highest price is 25. I want to argue that accepting our proposal they get more than what they deserved, the rational is because if I took the highest competitor price and increase it 3 percent as it is annual inflation rate in Indonesia, in the accumulation of 5 years our offer will be much much bigger than that.

My question is, is it valid for me to use the annual inflation for the standard estimation of annually increase of the rent price? or is it silly? Because I'm dealing with Banker while I got zero knowledge in Economy, I just trying to pave my way to achieve the target that is being set to me.

I gotta question, so my company want to rent a venue for 5 years (prolong), I'm about to bargain with the building management-because we thought the previous price was too high, before I want to propose the proposal which is lower than the price they demand from us, I argue from estimation of the rent cost from venue around their place, lets say the highest price is 25. I want to argue that accepting our proposal they get more than what they deserved, the rational is because if I took the highest competitor price and increase it 3 percent as it is annual inflation rate in Indonesia, in the accumulation of 5 years our offer will be much much bigger than that.

My question is, is it valid for me to use the annual inflation for the standard estimation of annually increase of the rent price? or is it silly? Because I'm dealing with Banker while I got zero knowledge in Economy, I just trying to pave my way to achieve the target that is being set to me.
Most business leases include increases over the term. They could be annual or every two years or whatever you agree on. Usually the longer lease you agree to, the more power you have in setting the rules unless the location is in high demand. A 3% annual increase in not out of line, but I am not familiar with Indonesia. What is included is also important: utilities, internet, janitorial, parking, etc.

I would figure out how much you want to pay that is fair over the five years in total for everything that the landlord can include that you want. Include inflation and include a down payment/security deposit if that is normal. This is your offer. It should be written so that he can see exactly what is included and what is not. What you expect from him as landlord services should be noted: he fixes these if they fail, clean that etc. It should be high enough that he will at least consider accepting it as is. Don't low ball. You can discuss with him the best way to structure the payments: even over the years, begin low and rising, begin high and decline. If you offer to pay more early rather than later, it will appeal more to him most likely. Make sure he knows that you have included an inflation number and tell him the rate. Full transparency. He will likely try to go higher. Let him but know the point at which you will say that's too much and be prepared to walk unless he offers some other benefit to compensate. find your actual limit and reduce it 5-10% and make that number your negotiation limit. that way if you threaten to walk when he say a higher number and he calls you back to accept your limit, you are still lower than the worst case.

The key is for you to know your limits and stick to them. Unless he has lots of demand for his space, You should be able to find a total price acceptable to both of you. Any lease should reflect and contain all the negotiated terms in it including that inflation increases are included and that the payment schedule is fixed over the five years. You don't want to start your relationship with your landlord with one party feeling screwed.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Did they change the way tags for threads are displayed? I feel like they are less visible now than they used to be but I don't really remember how they used to be. I just know I don't notice them anymore and I used to.

I worked today with some kind of angle grinder-type device with a filament brush to remove paint and rust from metal, and also used some kind of corrosive liquid. I stupidly did not wear a breathing mask. I felt fine until I came home, when I suddenly got a horrible burning sensation in my throat, like I had inhaled car exhaust (I hadn't yet used the machine, so it definitely was the liquid, but I'm also worried about particles).

Should I go to a doctor? It's almost entirely gone, but my throat still feels raw.

You're aware that CFC can't provide medical advice, short of common sense, right? Please don't make me put it in colourful text.

Question: anyone know an active forum full of reasonably intelligent people where it is allowed to give medical advice? :gripe:

I'm not Googling 'medical advice forum', I've had too much experience with forums dedicated to one particular topic. Maybe reddit, but I've also had bad experiences there.

There's no good reason to give specific, one on one medical advice over the internet, even or maybe especially if you have medical training. See a doctor. If you keep to the net you're going to run into homepaths and neo-hippies and anti-medicine conspiracy theorists.

I trust doctors even less. EDIT: r/AskDocs actually seems pretty good.

Last edited:
So, you trust random internet strangers over medical professionals when it comes to medical advice? Whatever works, I suppose.

So, you trust random internet strangers over medical professionals when it comes to medical advice? Whatever works, I suppose.

Or doesn't, as the case may be.

It's pretty annoying to have a walk sign but then almost get hit by right-turners who either aren't looking or don't care. I've learned to just stop at the intersections of my town and wait for all the right-turners to go or for one of them to stop and block everyone behind them from going before I cross.

You have to keep in mind that the right turning person is very likely focused on the traffic they are turning into, which is specifically coming from the direction that you are not in. If I don't make recognizable eye contact I only step out if I have some real interest in jumping onto their hood.

I don't trust doctors in certain domains, I should have said. Their knowledge of a risk only inferred by studies and not empirical observation (no one measures when the first cancer cell forms) is dubious. Of course I'm still going to see one; I'm just not going to place supreme authority upon their words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom