1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXVIII

Discussion in 'Serial Thread Archives' started by Synsensa, Sep 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

@MaryKB Can you request a second recycling bin? Can you add some boxes to a neighbor's each week? Delivering broken down boxes to a recycling center is also great.

2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I got the USB-C to HDMI adapter today and it worked perfectly. My crappy little standing desk made out of stacked boxes really doesn't though - the second monitor is at a terrible angle and wobbles around. Oh well, it's better than not having a second monitor.

The_J and Birdjaguar like this.
  3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I have weird 'rules' for my collection of mission patches. For them to 'count' as part of my display set, they have to either have
    1. Been given to me at work (regardless of my involvement with the program) - or -
    2. Come from a mission I worked on that launched but I didn't get an official patch from it
    So, for example, I have a couple of patches for missions I worked on that launched while I was still at a company but then left before they handed out patches (rule 2). I bought them online. I also have a couple of patches from missions that I didn't work on but my supervisors thought to give me a patch anyways (rule 1).

So I just realized there are a handful of launches that happened after I left a company but were launched on rockets or capsules that I did work on (they were re-used or launched for the first time after I left). Do these count? I think rule 2 covers them.

Is this OCD in action?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  4. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I say they do.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  5. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

You were an integral part of their design and construction. That you weren't on payroll at the time of launch seems irrelevant to whether or not you were a part of the mission. Your contributions directly made them happen.

Birdjaguar, MaryKB and hobbsyoyo like this.
  6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I guess my hang up is that the cut-off for getting a patch is being present on launch day. Or at least that's how it has worked out in practice. I also feel like having the cut-off being based on presence rather than direct participation is farer because there are janitors and cooks and whatnot that never touch hardware but still make the mission happen. But if you start justifying getting a patch based on participation, it leaves those people out.

I only recently got comfortable with the patches I got for projects I didn't work on, and only then kind of as a bow to practicality because I have a few of those and I don't want to like segregate my patch collection into sections. Then again, I already don't display the patches I bought myself while on vacation because those clearly don't count.

7. Synsensa

cardgame and hobbsyoyo like this.
  8. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I don't feel it's a stupid decision though, I added more to my last post explaining why.

MaryKB likes this.
  9. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Totally arbitrary. If you worked on it, I don't see the harm.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  10. Birdjaguar

Yes, if you contributed to the project, you earned the patch.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  11. Synsensa

Well, I said directly. A janitor and cook certainly helped grease a squeaky wheel but they played no direct part in the actual design and construction of the rocket or capsule. A healthy Amazon Prime subscription to adult diapers and Soylent Green would have still resulted in a rocket/capsule being made. Not so if the engineers themselves are amiss. Your contributions directly resulted in an aerospace marvel being launched successfully.

hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  12. aimeeandbeatles

That probably wouldn't have been very comfortable though.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  13. aimeeandbeatles

Question: Does anybody have a link to a good tutorial for Microsoft Access 2010? (Preferably non-video. I'm not having much luck with Google.)

I'm trying to relearn it, but I was mostly familiar with Access 2000. Even then that was like 15 years ago.

14. Birdjaguar

15. aimeeandbeatles

First one is a YouTube playlist, unfortunately. I'll try the second one, though :)

16. Birdjaguar

I did not dig very deep and just grabbed what came up and didn't open with a youtube site.

17. MaryKB

MaryKB Deity Supporter

I placed a Shipt order, and I just got a text from Robert that he's starting my shopping, and asking if I need anything else. I realize now I'm out of pads.

Would it be cruel to ask him to pick some up for me?

18. Synsensa

Why would it be cruel?

19. MaryKB

MaryKB Deity Supporter

I've always (no pun intended) heard guys feel embarrassed shopping for those?

20. Samson

Samson Deity

Some men are really weird about things like that, but not so you should not ASK, but perhaps worded more "would you have a problem" than "pick these up".

GenMarshall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.