1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXVIII

Discussion in 'Serial Thread Archives' started by Synsensa, Sep 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Supporter

But how many years did you "invest" after the fact? :mischief:

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Four. Got good return on them too.

I mostly just asked about Quora to tease you. I have no interest in the more complex forms of bank crimes, and at "my level" I suspect I know more than anyone from the other side does. That said, I am fully retired from bank robbery and other than a couple of very low probability turns of events I do not see any possibility of that changing, so no worries.

The_J and MaryKB like this.
  3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

@Mouthwash I do know the kind of person you are looking for. He is a friend. MIT nuclear physicist, computer scientist, Berkeley PhD, understands quantum mechanics, former weapons lab scientist, lecturer, entrepreneur, story teller and collector of all things interesting. PM me with why I should put you in touch with him and enough info for me to pique his his interest.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  4. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles queen of the watermelons

For anyone who's good with MS Access, I'm stumped on something.

Spoiler :

I just used the combo-box wizard to create the selectors, although I used Form.OnCurrent to auto-update them if I use the nav buttons instead.

If it matters, the subform is linked master/child with the "Neighbourhood" field.

My knowledge of VBA is pretty rudimentary (ok, nonexistent) unfortunately, and Google thinks I want to filter the subform itself (or disable the record selectors at the bottom of the form).

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  5. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Sounds like @Plotinus.

I'm sure Christopher at TrekBBS would be willing to tell him everything and much more besides... :mischief:

6. aimeeandbeatles

As well, that Neighbourhood dropdown right next to the address? For some reason, changing that turns the neighbourhood name into a number (for all records) instead of changing the family's neighbourhood value. I think I screwed up.

7. aimeeandbeatles

New question: How do you dispose of an empty can of compressed air?

8. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

I shoot them with a bb gun and recycle them. You could probably just do the recycle part after making good and sure its empty? You don't actually need to puncture them, do you?

9. Birdjaguar

Knock the top off with a hammer?

10. aimeeandbeatles

I tried looking it up on the municipality site. I'm not sure if it counts as an "aerosol" but it said to blow out any remaining hairspray/cleaner/whatever and then put it in the garbage.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  11. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

Birdjaguar likes this.
  12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Is it weird I feel a twinge of guilt for going to see (non-political) installations at the Reagan or Nixon libraries?

13. aimeeandbeatles

Not really. They were politicians who did crappy things.

MaryKB likes this.
  14. Valka D'Ur

Are Americans really that upset that in Canada, the scene including Trump was deleted from the Home Alone movie? Apparently there's quite a hullabaloo going on on Twitter (Trump's son has tweeted his displeasure at Canada for doing this; the official word is that the scene was actually deleted years ago along with several others, to make the movie fit into the allotted time for showing it on TV).

15. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Supporter

This is the first I've heard of it, honestly.

They probably don't understand it was years ago, and part of other cuts for time. They're likely being fed misinformation to rile them up. Honestly, I feel if Canada had just done this recently for spite, it'd be pretty juvenile. And it's not really outrageous to think that could happen, considering that shameful thing the UK did with that silly balloon.

Manfred Belheim and GenMarshall like this.
  16. Valka D'Ur

Trudeau gets blamed for everything, including things that happened before he was even born, or when he was still a child.

Trump's family is a pack of idiots (maybe the kid might have some intelligence, but growing up in a gilded cage, he probably has a bizarrely skewed impression of how the world really is), if they really think Justin Trudeau ordered the CBC to cut Trump's scene out of this movie out of spite.

According to the news here, CBC acquired the rights to show the movie in 2014, and cut about 8 scenes that weren't "integral" to the plot. These included the Trump scene (this was before Trump decided to run for political office).

It's slow news this time of year. We actually had a two-day argument on the CBC comment pages about the Queen's year-end message.

MaryKB likes this.
  17. Birdjaguar

Trump was cut from Home Alone 2.

18. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

First time that I hear about this scene at all.
    Guess thrmey must have cut it from the German version too. So non-essential sounds plausible for me.

19. Valka D'Ur

Whatever (I didn't see this movie or the first one, or whatever other ones might have been made).

The point is that the right to show it was acquired in 2014. The movie was too long, and 8 scenes were cut, including the Trump one, because they were not considered "integral" and could safely be chopped to make way for commercials.

The Trump fans are pitching hysterics over this, as though Justin Trudeau personally ordered this to be done (and don't let facts like Trump wasn't in politics in 2014 and Trudeau was not the Prime Minister get in their way)

MaryKB likes this.
  20. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Not true Americans, just those who see Trump as the Second Coming of Christ, and who are looking for ANYTHING in which Trump can be portrayed as a victim.

hobbsyoyo and MaryKB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.