1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXVIII

Discussion in 'Serial Thread Archives' started by Synsensa, Sep 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

For those who have been prescribed appetite suppressants, how much do they impact the actual gnawing sensation and pain of hunger and cravings?

(Since I'll inevitably get a snide "Ask a doctor." response, this is a preemptive question. I have an appointment at the end of January with a professional. And no, I don't need diet advice.)

2. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

<- Big fan of Jenny Craig. Dropped 44 pounds and kept it off for more tan a year. :smug:

3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

The "ask a doctor" response isn't meant to be snide. You, as a retired moderator, should recall that there's a reason for not allowing a free-for-all in people giving medical advice on this forum (and current mods, this is NOT PDMA; it's been openly discussed in OT and in Site Feedback).

4. Synsensa

Leave it to CFC to offer the exact two replies I said I wasn't interested in.

hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  5. Valka D'Ur

Re-read my post. I didn't tell you to ask a doctor. I just explained that there's a reason why it's what people here are told to do.

6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

7. Synsensa

I've read all that, although I liked the Mayo Clinic's page and the official approved list from Canada more (more insightful). I'm looking for firsthand reports -- I can handle hunger, and cravings, but I can't handle the pain associated with it, especially if it's ever-increasing. Saxenda seems the best choice as it's hormonal and injection-based, which I respond to better than pills.

The issue I foresee is that Saxenda, or a similar drug, won't help if it doesn't impact the pain associated with hunger. It would help in the sense that I'm feeling that pain less often, but I'd still be set up to fail if, when the hunger does strike, it hurts just as much as it did before taking medication. Especially since I don't want to be on the drug for the long term. Ideally I'd like the pain to go away. Then I have the time to both figure out what the underlying issue is and get back on track with weight management (doctor-prescribed) without sacrificing productivity.

I've gone from ~250 to ~230, back up to ~260, back down to ~235, back up to ~255, and now back down to ~245 in 2019 alone. I've explored mental health interventions and dietary changes, all taken into consideration alongside my binge eating disorder, and am having no success, either self-directed or by a doctor. The pain of the hunger is just too overwhelming. A suppressant is basically the last realistic option available besides simply giving up and wallowing in it, and I have the appointment for discussing it. At this point the only thing useful would be knowing how it actually changes how a person feels, and the experiences I read aren't exactly relatable to my situation.

8. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Sorry you're in that situation @Synsensa

hobbsyoyo and Synsensa like this.
  9. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

:agree:

10. MaryKB

MaryKB Goddess Supporter

I'm really sorry @Synsensa, I wish there was something I could do to help you. I understand what you mean about the pain, in my personal experience it's really bad for the first day but gets better after that, then you barely start to even notice it.

People will tell you to eat protein, but the real trick I've found is vegetables. When you eat vegetables three times a day, and no junk food, you start to fix your body chemistry to no longer feel "fake hunger" anymore, and you'll lose your cravings and associated pain.

Whatever you end up doing, I sincerely hope it works for you and you get the results and harmony you desire.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  11. Synsensa

Surely, if eating a vegetable were the winning ticket, I or one of the professionals assigned to me would have stumbled upon it in the process of fixing the issue.

I appreciate the sentiment, but... when I said I didn't want diet advice, I meant that there's nothing anyone can suggest that hasn't been tried. Switching to a plant-heavy diet and cutting out processed foods is the first step prescribed by any dietitian and GP. "It gets better" is bandied about quite a bit too -- which is the problem, because it doesn't get better, it gets worse. If it got better, I'd be fine. If the solution were simply "Hey, stick at it, eat a carrot or two, and it'll get easier," surely you give me enough credit to have explored that at some point? I like to think I'm at least a step above a simpering fool and not living the "I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas!" meme. Perhaps I give myself too much credit.

cardgame likes this.
  12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Does anyone have an online review website for digital consumer products that they trust? Things like TV antennas and DVRs.

Edit: I've also seen people mention that they plugged their OTA antennas into the house's cable wiring to hook up one antenna to multiple TV's. Does anyone know how that works? I don't even know what it's called to search for it properly.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  13. Synsensa

Is there a streaming service out there that has old SpikeTV broadcasts like Most Extreme Elimination Challenge, Blind Date, and American Gladiators? YouTube rips are getting tiring.

14. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

If you aren't hungry, it hurts less. No experience with bespoke chemicals for it, but if they work anything like nicotine did, you just aren't as hungry and it doesn't particularly hurt. The side effects might. Nicotine caused heartburn on the regular when inhaled.

15. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Have you tried Consumer Reports?
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/index.htm

Question: I'm getting a new dining table -a piece of real furniture!- and one of its major selling points to me was a very nice finish on top. I want to get some coasters to keep the finish in good shape. Do any of you have neat/fun coasters I could try and track down?

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. Valka D'Ur

Two websites you might find useful are Etsy and Society6. Both have an overwhelming abundance of artistic designs. Some of the Etsy vendors offer custom orders, so if you like a design but not the colors, or a general design but want it tweaked a bit, they can do that.

Ajidica likes this.
  17. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Short answer...connecting your antenna into the installed cable distribution system works fine.

Long answer...

Spoiler :
    Inside the walls is a connection network that is exactly the same as you would run outside the walls if you were to be connecting multiple devices to your antenna. Various lengths of cable runs connected through appropriate signal splitters are in there. There's also one long cable running (most likely) to an access panel on your floor where the cable company can connect or disconnect each unit. There may be a really long cable running all the way down to a master panel for the whole building. Either way, since you don't have cable it will be disconnected and won't make any difference.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  18. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles queen of the watermelons

Silly question. There's this sink in The Sims 2:

The object description calls the weird green bit a "fluorescent undercounter." What's an undercounter? Google keeps bringing up refrigerators.

19. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Anyone here familiar with ADA compliance regulations? I ask because we had a situation today and I want to make sure I'm right before I come down on the security guards for it.

The front entrance to our building has one of those buttons on the inner door that people with disabilities can push to have the door open for them when they are leaving the building. Well I found out on cold days the guards shut that button off so the door doesn't stay open for 5 seconds and let cold air in. Today though, I saw an injured firefighter on crutches attempt to leave and the door didn't open for him when he pushed the button. That's how I found out the guards have been turning it off on cold days by the way.

Anyway, the situation made me a little angry because it seems pretty rude to me to cause people with disabilities and injuries some undue hardship just because the guards don't want to feel a little cold air. Then I got to thinking that turning the handicap access function off might also be an ADA violation.

Which brings me to my question: Is the above an ADA violation? I tried looking it up but didn't really find anything solid one way or the other.

The_J, tjs282 and hobbsyoyo like this.
  20. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I would bet that disabling ADA compliant doors for weather would be considered a violation and if it went to court, a jury would find for the plaintive. How would you handle a stopped up ADA toilet? Lock people out of the stall or pay a plumber to fix it? Guard and heating convenience will not trump the law.

Your guards need a talking to. They could also add a hat or jacket to their wardrobe on days they have front door duty.

tjs282, hobbsyoyo and Commodore like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.