The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's near the end of the buffet line when there are sandwiches available.
Right next to the ketchup station, I should think (I'm not into mustard, myself). :p

You shouldn't need to pay for mustard or ketchup, as they're condimentary.

Question:

Why has the black population of San Francisco shrunk so much over the past decades ?

Statistics, which come from largest-ever dataset compiled about US police stops, lend support to minority groups who have long complained about biased policing
Black people in California were stopped by police officers much more frequently than other racial groups in 2018, and police were more likely to use force against them, new statistics from eight large law enforcement agencies in the state reveal.
Twenty eight per cent of all persons stopped by Los Angeles police officers during the last six months of 2018 were black, while black people account for just 9% of the city’s population, the data shows. In San Francisco, the black population has shrunk over several decades to just 5% of the city’s total population, but 26% of all stops carried out by the SFPD from July through December of 2018 were of black people marking the widest racial disparity in police stops of the eight reporting agencies.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jan/02/california-police-black-stops-force

As a guess, cost of housing coupled with income disparity.

ok
but
The shrinking over time indicating that this disparity has increased over time ?

Hasn't San Francisco conducted a bunch of disastrous gentrification initiatives that disproportionately affected PoC? I feel like I remember that being talked about here, possibly by @Owen Glyndwr or @Lexicus.

Hasn't San Francisco conducted a bunch of disastrous gentrification initiatives that disproportionately affected PoC? I feel like I remember that being talked about here, possibly by @Owen Glyndwr or @Lexicus.

Doubt I did, don't know much about it.

That's certainly part of the skyrocketing housing costs. Even without any particular "gentrification initiatives" though, property values and associated taxes just became absurd there. Even people who could afford to stay had to look hard at whether they really wanted to that badly.

Don't know about gentrification initiatives but the city has had a highway building program with disastrous consequences for neighborhoods of color. It effectively chopped them up. I think the rest of the public transit system has been equally as bad.

There's an Edward Norton movie out (can't remember the name, it was limited release) where he plays a character investigating the racist public transit policies of NYC in the 50's. They would do stuff like putting in bridges that were too short for public transit buses to go under to prevent people from African American communities from going to certain beaches and crap like that. SF (and many American cities) would have acted in similar ways.

Don't know about gentrification initiatives but the city has had a highway building program with disastrous consequences for neighborhoods of color. It effectively chopped them up. I think the rest of the public transit system has been equally as bad.

There's an Edward Norton movie out (can't remember the name, it was limited release) where he plays a character investigating the racist public transit policies of NYC in the 50's. They would do stuff like putting in bridges that were too short for public transit buses to go under to prevent people from African American communities from going to certain beaches and crap like that.

You're referring to literally the greatest villain in the entire history of the United States.

Will I be able to AdamCrock it all the way ?

You would rate him that far?

Maybe a bit hyperbolic given the, y’know, slavery and genocides and strike/labor busting. But urban development and planning are a big part of the structure that has maintained and exploded the racial inequality to this day, and just about every horsehockey plan and implementation and program that caused those pernicious echoes in New York ends up going back to Robert Moses in some form, and that terrible programme flows out to all the other major cities in this country, whether in the extensive consultancy work he did in cities like LA, or in the form of his planning progeny who applied his policies elsewhere.

Last edited:
Did we have a thread specifically about the 737 Max situation? I thought we did but I can't find it. There is an update I want to share, I'll post it in the space cadets thread for now as it's an aerospace topic.

Did we have a thread specifically about the 737 Max situation? I thought we did but I can't find it. There is an update I want to share, I'll post it in the space cadets thread for now as it's an aerospace topic.

a reaction on the "designed by clowns" statements ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom