The Viking Age (Scenario)

Craig_Sutter

Deity
This is a scenario based upon the various invasions and conquests that occured in Northwest Europe and the British Isles going from 480 AD to 1480 AD.

This scenario requires that the European Middle Ages Mod be installed. Download it and install it in your mods folder. It may be downloaded from:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=256

The European Middle Ages Mod is a work in progress, and this scenario will be updated as the mod is developed. The version number I use will match up with that of the Mod...
ex. Medieval Mod 0.3=Viking Age 1.30

There are three maps included in this scenario. Note, the maps are not strictly n-s, e-w in alignment... they are actually 40 degrees off of true north to fit in the area I wanted.

Maps:
Large 92x65 (a 16 civ cut of the map immediately below, don't play Sweden or Hladir!!!)
Large 105x65
Huge 135x81

Also, note that I've not placed resources manually... they are randomly generated using the WBS python console. If you wish to regenerate the resources do it using the process in the following thread...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=145278

The Civilizations:

Kingdom of Denmark
Kingdom of Norway
Kingdom of the Frisians
Kingdom of France (West Franks)
Holy Roman Empire (East Franks)
Kingdom of Saxony
Grand Duchy of Normandy (Frankish Duchy)
Kingdom of Munster (Irish)
Kingdom of Connacht (Irish)
Kingdom of Scotland (Dal Riada)
Kingdom of Wessex (Wessex, Sussex, Essex, Kent)
Kingdom of Mercia (Mercia, East Anglia)
Kingdom of Northumbria
Kingdom of the Britons (Cornwall, Bretony - Dumnonia)
Kingdom of the Cymru (Powys, Welsh)
Kingdom of Strathclyde
Kingdom of Sweden
Jarldom of Hladir

There are three religions in the scenario thus far. Catholicism, Orthodoxy and Paganism. Othodoxy is a stand in for Celtic Christianity in this scenario. I've created an inaccessable barbarian holy city to be the holy city of non-scenario religions included in the mod as I did not want to alter the XML files until the mod is in a more finished form.

Version 1.00 110 downloads
Version 1.01 305 downloads (415 total for all versions)
Version 1.30 44 downloads (459 total for all versions)
Version 1.330 51 downloads (515 total for all versions)
Version 1.331 274 downloads (789 total for all versions)
Version 1.400 86 downloads (875 total for all versions)
Version 1.401 189 downloads (1064 total for all versions)
Version 1.451 324 downloads (1398 total for all versions)
Version 1.500 640 downloads(2038 total for all versions)
Version 1.650 234 downloads(2272 total for all versions)

The current version of the Scenario is at:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1677

The following is a good screenshot of the overall map. More detailed screenshots are on the download page...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=145129&d=1167500343

Previous thread relating to this scenario:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=177950

Changes:

Spoiler :

July 17/06 Versions 1.0 released (92x65), (105x65) Viking Age

August 5/06 Versions 1.01 released (92x65,105x65 extended, large)(117x81,135x81 extended,
huge)
Changes:
-Eliminated Visigoths, added Irish Kingdoms of Connacht and Munster
-Added Orthodoxy representing Celtic Christianity
-Many map changes... added cities, changed religion in many, seperated
islands in Northern British Isles from mainland by ocean... hope this brings
Vikings.
-Added new huge map size
-Did much balancing of religious spread
-Tinkered with diplomacy. Made AI Aggresive. Added attitude modifiers.
-Changed starting techs to reflect time period and technical progress at
the time.
-Changed numbers and types of starting units.
-Added Holy Cities for Christianity (AAchen), Paganism (Hamburg) and
Orthodoxy/Celtic Christianity (Armagh)
-Changed some leader names for historical accuracy
-Added Roman Roads (only major arteries)

Sept. 18/06 Versions 1.30 released (92x65,105x65 extended, large)(117x81,135x81 extended,
huge)
Changes:
-update to .3 of Medieval Mod
-changed Swordsman for Highlander and Galley for Longship to match the Mod.

Sept. 24/06 Versions 1.33 released (92x65,105x65 extended, large)(117x81,135x81 extended,
huge)
Changes:
-adjusted faux barbarian holy city to just contain Islam, no Sunni/Shiite split
-added coastal hexes to represent shallow seas
-added viking sea routes (coastal hexes)
-added barbarian city of Gula in Norway

Sept. 30/06 Versions 1.331 released (105x65 large)(135x81 huge)
Changes:
-deleted some forests in Scandanavia to give resource variability
-changed the viking route coastal hexes a little to make the sea route more
likely to be opened
-am now using only two sizes of map... removed the smaller sized, 16 civ maps
(will reinstate if requested)

Nov. 20/06 Versions 1.400 released (105x65 large)(135x81 huge)
Changes:
-modified to match version 0.40 of European Medieval Mod
-added Danish city list

Dec. 30/06 Versions 1.450 released (105x65 large)(92x65 large)(135x81 huge)
Changes:
-modified to match version 0.45 of European Medieval Mod
-removed many coastal tiles that were placed to allow the Scandanavian historic invasion routes. They now have ocean capable watercraft.
-changed units in civilizations for unique units if allowed to by beginning tech. Notably, Foederati exchanged for warriors for Dumnonia. Likewise, for Gaulic and British barbarian cities.
-added many city lists (but many more to do)
-eliminated contact with every player, now contact needs to be established as normal game.
-eliminated exploration (spacerace) victory.
-gave galleys provided to certain civs at game beginning, Explore_AI.
-replaced 2 warriors and swordsman in Barbarian Pagan holy city of Hamburg, with 3 Fyrdsman.
July 17/06 Versions 1.0 released (92x65), (105x65) Viking Age

August 5/06 Versions 1.01 released (92x65,105x65 extended, large)(117x81,135x81 extended,
huge)
Changes:
-Eliminated Visigoths, added Irish Kingdoms of Connacht and Munster
-Added Orthodoxy representing Celtic Christianity
-Many map changes... added cities, changed religion in many, seperated
islands in Northern British Isles from mainland by ocean... hope this brings
Vikings.
-Added new huge map size
-Did much balancing of religious spread
-Tinkered with diplomacy. Made AI Aggresive. Added attitude modifiers.
-Changed starting techs to reflect time period and technical progress at
the time.
-Changed numbers and types of starting units.
-Added Holy Cities for Christianity (AAchen), Paganism (Hamburg) and
Orthodoxy/Celtic Christianity (Armagh)
-Changed some leader names for historical accuracy
-Added Roman Roads (only major arteries)

Sept. 18/06 Versions 1.30 released (92x65,105x65 extended, large)(117x81,135x81 extended,
huge)
Changes:
-update to .3 of Medieval Mod
-changed Swordsman for Highlander and Galley for Longship to match the Mod.

Sept. 24/06 Versions 1.33 released (92x65,105x65 extended, large)(117x81,135x81 extended,
huge)
Changes:
-adjusted faux barbarian holy city to just contain Islam, no Sunni/Shiite split
-added coastal hexes to represent shallow seas
-added viking sea routes (coastal hexes)
-added barbarian city of Gula in Norway

Sept. 30/06 Versions 1.331 released (105x65 large)(135x81 huge)
Changes:
-deleted some forests in Scandanavia to give resource variability
-changed the viking route coastal hexes a little to make the sea route more
likely to be opened
-am now using only two sizes of map... removed the smaller sized, 16 civ maps
(will reinstate if requested)

Nov. 20/06 Versions 1.400 released (105x65 large)(135x81 huge)
Changes:
-modified to match version 0.40 of European Medieval Mod
-added Danish city list

Feb. 8/07 Versions 1.500 released (105x65 large)(92x65 large)(135x81 huge)
Changes:
-modified to match version 0.50 of European Medieval Mod
-added spaceship victory: New World and Hanseatic Victories

June 26/07 Versions 1.650 released (105x65 large)(92x65 large)(135x81 huge)
Changes:
-modified to match version 0.65 of European Medieval Mod
-changed leaders to reflect changes in Mod
-changed Mysticism (removed in Mod) to Monothesism

August 23/07 Versions 1.740 released (105x65 large)(92x65 large)(135x81 huge)
Changes:
-modified to match version 0.74 of European Medieval Mod

I'll post my intended changes here:

Spoiler :

-map and AI attitude tinkering
-tinkering with religions (need more in medieval mod to figure spread rates/etc.)
-add berserkers (to replace missionaries for pagans)
-make scenario compatible with BTS
-with BTS, set up vassal states of Normandy and HRE to the Franks, and make it last until certain tech is acquired.
-look at additional Civilizations... possibly Leinster and Ulster in Ireland, and another Viking Civ (Hordaland with Bergen and Stavanger and Gula or Urnes for the third city). Maybe some Slavs (Wends or Abrodites) east of the Saxons. Perhaps Visigoths. And Welsh (as opposed to Powys)
-try to set up various high Kingship arrangements in game terms (via Vassalage?)... High Kings of Britons, Irish, Norway, and Anglo-Saxon Breatwelda come to mind. No idea how to do this...
-add city names to WBS
-add Saxon Shore forts
-Add Hadrians and Antonione Wall graphics... awaits BTS compatiblility. In addition to usual Great Wall advantages vrs Barbs, also want tiles with the improvement to give Fortification Bonus as per Castle. Since, technically, the wonders that produced these walls are lapsed... I'll likely only let them have a fortification bonus and repell barbs.

Miscellanious stuff:

Spoiler :

On city names and which ones I included in the Scenario:

-in Britain and Gaul, the barbarian cities largely represent Roman Cities designated by their current names. In those areas, I avoided placing cities that were not founded in Roman times... however, to generate 3 cities per civ (2 plus settler for Normans), I had to add a couple of cities that may have been founded later (Scarborough/Bamborough) but were hopefully founded by the Civs they were allocated to, and sufficiently close to the scenario start so as not to matter. I did not include Roman cities that disappeared or were not refounded.
-Other cities were placed to reflect regional powers, that because of the 18 civ limit, could not be included as playable but I might otherwise have included. Hamburg (slavic), Bergen, Gula and Stavanger (Hordaland), Scone and Inverness (Picts), Armagh and Tara (Ulster and Leinster/Mead), Thaours and Saintes (Visigoths)... If the 18 civ limit is expanded, these may become playable cities.
-I added Roman Roads to the Scenario. I'm as yet uncertain whether I will keep them. I only added the main arteries.

Hello!

I am having a tad bit of difficulty uploading this scenario, though very much wish to play it.

Basically, when I extract the files to the Mod folder it does not create a new sub-folder specific for Vikings, rather there are three world builder files, all say:

The Viking Age 1.65(92x65)
The Viking Age 1.65(135x81)
The Viking Age 1.65(105x65)

When I toggle any of them they bring me directly to the scenario screen but none of the Viking nations games are present.

I am uncertin what I am doing incorrectly to launch the game. Can you help me troubleshoot?

Thank you Craig!!

I am at work atm so will download again in the morning. I look forward to the mode!

kk, still no go. I was able to download and play the EMA game, but am unable to iniate this mode. When I download this, is it not supposed to create a sub folder in my mods folder like the EMA? I suppose I am asking for (dis)tructions, hehe :)

Just put the map (all there ahould be in the unzipped folder) into the folder public maps in the EMA mod that has the main scenario. hope that helps

i thought you were supposed to start up the mod then select a map. are you doing that?

KK, got it! Had to initialize it through the folder. I ended up creating a shortcut on my desk top to start it, hehe.

So far I am very much enjoying it, exploring the map and what not. For Powys, you did a good job in choosing Elisedd ap Gwylog, ya did your home work! lol.

At first I was uncertin why you seperated the Brythonic peoples of Strythclyde, Powys, and Brittany, but I think I understand what you are attempting. I would rename the "kingdom of the Cymru" to simply Kingdom of Powys though. The Brythoniad, the Romano-Britons and their decendents, did not consider themselves y Cymreag until the 12th century, until then in all of their writtings they were the Britons (not Bretons or British).

Playing on the largest map, Ive had a great time defending Powys against the barbarians to the east and in Caer/Chestor. I have renamed all of the cities to the Welsh versions of the names, as that would be how the natives themselves would view it.

IDEA! What if you could use both versions of the name? The native name at the time of game start, and then also the English version of the name? This way, if the Angles do conqure the city it would have the English version, but if it remained in Powys' possession it would have the Welsh version of the name.

for example, the cities would be seen as:

Caer Guricon /Wroxter
Caer Loyw /Gloucester
Caer Llion /Caerlion
Caer /Chester

Or would this be too long for names in Civ?

GREAT JOB on the scenario! it is what I was looking for. Though, mayhap could you do one more focused on the British Isles, with the vikings based in Dublin, Man, Orkney, Northumberia? I personally would like to play as Gwynedd or Deheubarth in the same time frame, but the map for those regions is too small in currently, it would need a larger map of Britain.

Some day I may do a purely British map, however, when I include the vikings, I run into the thorny problem of how to include the various great armies sent from Denmark, and other scandinavian invaders that would be outside of the map. I'm thinking a scenario going from around the creation of the Danelaw until about 1050 might be doable though as the british viking population and territory is fairly significant.

I think major changes to this map await BTS versions of the EMA mod. I'd like to add more civs, especially to the larger map. Specific to the British Isles, maybe Picts, another Welsh Civ, maybe the Jutes and East Anglia, possibly some lowland Britons, and another Irish civ or two (maybe one with a foothold in South Wales). Outside of these, I may add another Viking, the Wends (Slavs) and possibly Jutes in Jutland, and Angles in South Juteland... I might even divide up the Swedes. All these changes are speculative.

As for your idea of alternate city names... I know its doable through some sort of scripting. The Greek Scenario does this, so I've heard. The names change depending on the owner. I'll look into it in future, but time is lacking for now. I like this way better than your suggestion, mainly because of name length... although your suggestion does have ease of implementation in its favour.

My next project is either going to be a scenario beginning slightly before the Norman conquest, maybe around 1000 AD, or a scenario set in my European Map, about the same time. These will await BTS though, as I think the addition of vassals will make for more realism. I intend for the various viking civs in Britain to be vassals to either Norway or Denmark... and maybe all of England as well (under Canute). Norway would also be a Danish Vassal.

Until I know the exact mechanics of BTS, though, these will have to await.

There is, if I recall, a British Isles scenario that has been made, but not with this mod... rather, it uses vanilla civ units and techs. You'd have to search the scenario database for it though, and I'm not certain how well vanilla civ could be made to fit the time period by solely using the WBS file.

Anyhow, thanks for playing the map. It's always interesting to have input, positive or negative... I'm happy someone's playing it. I've not tried any of the British Isle civs. I think they'd be very difficult... although the Cymraeg (I'll likely change it to Powys as you suggest), seem to do the best on autoplay... they've a good UU. The Anglo-saxon UU is rather to defensive in nature to allow for historical expansion (I hope a second UU is added for all Civs... perhaps Thegn or Ceorl for the Anglo-saxons to give them more Oomph). I've mostly been playing the vikings, trying to recreate the invasions... was successful with Norway last time, winning the game (but at a low difficulty level), and near destroying Hladir, Northumbria and Mercia, and finally, Strathclyde. Helped by the Normans with the Mercians. Was a little different from others I've played as the Saxons were second... usually the Germans, French and Normans gang up on them (those three powers are usually leaders in AIAutoplay testing). This game, for some reason, the Saxons held out against the Germans and even rolled them back to take the Catholic Holy City (Aachen)... switching from paganism to Catholicism later.

Let me know how your game(s) go.

Question - is there a reason northern Ireland in your largest map is so barren? No food resources at all! And for health, only salt! It's definitely making for a challenge. What, not even sheep? A cow or two? Some grass hills instead of plains hills would make things a bit more hospitable, as well as making the island more of an emerald...

Top Bottom