The volcano issue

Crusis

Warlord
It would appear that our worlds have unseen dark matter creating huge gravity wells nearby, heating the cores of our poor worlds via tidal forces and causing uncontrolled vulcanism.

Only the .xml Gods can save us now.

Can anyone tell me what setting I have to change to completely eliminate volcanoes from the game? I'm playing Rome on a Planet Generator map, Huge, between 50,000 BC and 38,000 BC I have had SEVEN volcanoes try to destroy my civilization.

I've opened the world editor and edited them out, but that's not really fair to the AI now is it? Unless I want to peruse the entire planet and edit out the volcanoes, but then the joy of discovery is pretty much gone.

So PLEASE, PLEASE tell us what to edit to eliminate the volcanoes. Sacrifice a virgin? Throw gold in the bottomless sea? Set <iweight> to 0? Where?

Oh, and I have the EndGameTurn bug too, is that caused by the stop at end of turn function being turned off? I can certainly live with the EGT bug. But the volcanoes bug is clearly an effort to destroy all of mankind.

I am NOT playing the GEM maps.

Assets/Modules/ori/Events/ori_Civ4EventTriggerInfos.xml

Look for volcano events and set iWeight to 0 to disable completely or reduce by 90% (remove the last digit) to make them a lot more scarce.
There should be 6 volcano events in total in that file.

Cheers

BlueGenie, valiantly fighting the volcano Gods.

I've edited the file, restarting C2C right now, BG, and I appreciate your help. I was editing a different file before now.

BlueGenie, that worked like a charm. I'm at year 26,000 and no sign of a volcano. Gracias amigo.

It would appear that our worlds have unseen dark matter creating huge gravity wells nearby, heating the cores of our poor worlds via tidal forces and causing uncontrolled vulcanism.

Can anyone tell me what setting I have to change to completely eliminate volcanoes from the game? I'm playing Rome on a Planet Generator map, Huge, between 50,000 BC and 38,000 BC I have had SEVEN volcanoes try to destroy my civilization.

I've opened the world editor and edited them out, but that's not really fair to the AI now is it? Unless I want to peruse the entire planet and edit out the volcanoes, but then the joy of discovery is pretty much gone.

So PLEASE, PLEASE tell us what to edit to eliminate the volcanoes. Sacrifice a virgin? Throw gold in the bottomless sea? Set <iweight> to 0? Where?

Oh, and I have the EndGameTurn bug too, is that caused by the stop at end of turn function being turned off? I can certainly live with the EGT bug. But the volcanoes bug is clearly an effort to destroy all of mankind.

So what your saying is, i reduced the activity from 50 to 25 (1/2 of what it was) and its STILL not enough:confused:

That was funny; I was hoping the solution had something to do with a virgin. Setting iWeight to 0 now.

So what your saying is, i reduced the activity from 50 to 25 (1/2 of what it was) and its STILL not enough:confused:

I was getting a volcano event about every ten to 20 turns, so halving it would make it about every 20-40 turns.

I wonder if there is a way to make events happen less often in prehistoric times. There are so few events that can trigger that the one's that can trigger happen a lot.

I was getting a volcano event about every ten or so turns, so halving it would make it about every 20 turns.

It has to be something in the mapscripts then that are doing this, because in my last three games i have tested i dont get ANY volcanoes working and i was almost in Classical Era on them:crazyeye::nuke:

I was getting a volcano event about every ten or so turns, so halving it would make it about every 20 turns.

The problem (IMO) is not the frequency (per se), it's that the event always goes off next to cities, rather than randomly spread over the map (on suitable terrain). That measn that when there are few cities early on they get 'ganged up on'

The problem (IMO) is not the frequency (per se), it's that the event always goes off next to cities, rather than randomly spread over the map (on suitable terrain). That means that when there are few cities early on they get 'ganged up on'

That is very true, i was just trying to calm everyone down from the "so called" tee'd writing about volcanoes, till ori gets back in 2 weeks. But has anyone else having this problem also lately even after I 1/2'ed it still? And if so, what mapscript are you using?

I just learned to live with it. But after your latest "tweak" SO, in my current C2C_Fractal Huge Map, 9 AI, I only have 1 volcano in my capital city. And it has only erupted 4 times in the last 25,000 years. So yes it has slowed down.

JosEPh

Didn't you change the xml file in GameInfo and not the one in ori's folder (in which only 1 of 6 event triggers for volcanoes had an iWeight of 50)?
And if you changed the one in ori's folder post v24 anyone running a v24 game wouldn't have that change set.

Cheers

It has to be something in the mapscripts ...

It has nothing to do with mapscripts they have no effect on game play after the map is set up.

The problem (IMO) is not the frequency (per se), it's that the event always goes off next to cities, rather than randomly spread over the map (on suitable terrain). That measn that when there are few cities early on they get 'ganged up on'

This is done in the python but it is also a result of people complaining that no volcano events were happening even though they were happening just in the areas you could not see. The placement needs a bit of tweaking. In a game volcanoes probably should not appear next to a city unlike in real life (Mount Vesuvius).

The relative frequency of volcanoes does need addressing. They are far to frequent in the early eras and far to infrequent in the later eras. The earlier area could be balanced a bit by having more early events, perhaps it is time to get the Stone Age events working in C2C.

Now that you mention it, I only got that event early on as well. But now that I'm later on in the game, I have a building burning down in my capital city every 10-40 turns. I just built Inuksuk, which took 38 turns. During that time my firepit, my smokehouse, and my sandpit burnt down.

Really that sort of thing is just frustrating, not really game content. It's cool to have that type of thing happen once, maybe twice a game. But to have to constantly rebuild the same buildings?

I know it's a bug, I'm not dogging anyone out. It's a bug. But it's the most annoying bug I've ever had in C2C.

I don't know any virgins to sacrifice, so I may have to just go back to v23 for a few weeks while the Mexico vacation is underway.

Playing a Huge PerfectWorld2f map, also had volcano issues, which also calmed down after I advanced a bit and I had more events that could happen to me.

Playing a Huge PerfectWorld2f map, also had volcano issues, which also calmed down after I advanced a bit and I had more events that could happen to me.

This is basically the same issue as everyone getting the herbal remedies event pretty much guaranteed early on. Of course nobody complained about that! ;)

I think we should modify the event system in the DLL to impose an artificial normalization of some sort, so that if there is only one event (extreme case but pretty much it for early volcanos) that can go off, it's probability isn't 100% - i.e. - effectively add some padding 'bias' for a no-event event. That would have little to no effect once several events are active, but reduce the fire rate of events early on when not many are...

Isn't the Fire Events the result of the Flammability Mod (FLM)? If it is then it's a matter of adjusting the FLM rate. Firepits, Smokehouses, et. al. have rather high FLM rates (Like +20), while FLM reducing Bldgs don't even come close to that kind of # (-5 is the highest iirc).

JosEPh

In a new game I started I have not gotten any other events except for volcano events. No storm, animal migration, herbal testing, forest growing/fires or even tech progress/setback events. Its a bit crazy.

Speaking of storms. Aren't they supposed to dissipate or move? I'm beginning to think I'm living on Jupiter, because there is one storm off the coast of one of my cities that has been there for over 10,000 years. It has never moved.
I have got the "new storm" pop-up from time to time, but I've never noticed a storm going away.

Speaking of the herbal cures thing, I've thought, for C2C, this was a bit overpowered. Could it be made to last until some tech is discovered and then be eliminated?

Lastly, the volcanoes wouldn't be so annoying if they didn't last as long. Losing one or two tiles in your capitals BFC for 25,000 years can be a bit damaging. If they were active for X amount of time, then became dormant for X amount of time and finally either turned into a crater, an obsidian, or just reverted to a flat/hill tile, they would be hated less. Could volcanoes be made into a chain of events? Instead of being completely random?

Isn't the Fire Events the result of the Flammability Mod (FLM)? If it is then it's a matter of adjusting the FLM rate. Firepits, Smokehouses, et. al. have rather high FLM rates (Like +20), while FLM reducing Bldgs don't even come close to that kind of # (-5 is the highest iirc).

JosEPh

Yes, but we need to see the save game that is having too many fire events really. Has any anti-fire been built? What fire increasing buildings? Can't really say (in a vacuum) whether the rate is obviously too high wihotu knowing nmore background.

Top Bottom