1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Vox Populi Challenge No. 12 - Brexit

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Grabbl, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Grabbl

Grabbl Prince

Dear players of Vox Populi!

This challenge is over, and so is the season! For the results of the England game, look at the third post, results of the season are to be found on the second page of this thread.

There's a new version out that truly deserves the attribute "new", and with it, the first season (yes, that implies that there will be more) of the Vox Populi Challenge comes to an end with a quit european challenge... No matter whether you already know the challenge, or this is your first time, read on and participate!

As this is the last challenge, feel free to give any feedback you can think of with regard to the challenges! Especially, let me know if I can improve in the layout of these challenge posts: Is there any information that you find too hard to find, or anything that makes it less appealing to you?

If you're following the news these days, there may have been the slightest of hints that something is going on in the United Kingdom: It's not-so-united parliament is trying to see how the UK will be leaving the EU - or will they? Luckily, in video games, the world is simpler and there are no thousands pages of treaties that make international relations complicated: Show the real-world politicians how it's done and prevent all the foreigners coming to your glorious nation so that you can drink tea in peace.

Before you continue, make sure that you have Vox Populi version 3-14 with the newest hotfixes installed. Also, please make sure you know the rules. Especially, don't share ingame information unspoilered, not even the number of points you achieved (or the turn where you finished the challenge). I don't want anyone to be discouraged by your score, or knowing what numbers he should aim for. In spoilers, you are very welcome to describe your game, of course :)

Spoiler Game Rules :
    1) The Golden Rule: Don't replay, don't reload, send in your first try! It is recommended to set your auto-save frequency to 1 turn for this game. If you have a crash that forces you to replay, write it in the mail afterwards and try replaying as closest as possible to what you did before the crash.

2) Don't exploit any bugs you may find. At the moment, I'm not aware of any exploitable bugs, but just in case, don't overuse obviously bugged mechanics (like the infinite tribute-bug a few patches ago).

3) Don't share ingame-information unspoilered! If you want to share strategies or ingame information in this thread, use spoilers and write "Do not open unless you already sent in your game." on top of it. A separate thread for spoilers would be good, but I don't want to spam the main forum for this pilot.

4) Don't look at spoilers if you didn't finish your game!

5) Don't use cheat tools (Ingame Editor, Info Addict...) and don't open the map in some editor or else.

6) Don't use any additional mods besides full Vox Populi (1 to 6, either EUI or non-EUI) as I'm not sure whether I will be able to open your savegame files if you do.

The exact goal for this challenge:
    Submission deadline is Wednesday, the 10th of April, 6 pm Eastern Time (midnight in Central European Time). You can submit by personal message to me, posting your save in this thread, or sending it to vox-populi-challenge@gmx.net. Don't forget to write the name under which you want to appear in the ranking if sending by e-mail!

Spoiler Game Settings :

• Map: Continents, Small
    • 6 players
    • Research Agreements, No Tech Trading
    • No Ancient Ruins
    • No Events

If something is not clear, read the following spoiler, then ask a question if still unclear.

Spoiler Challenge Specifications :

• It doesn't matter who proposed the travel ban resolution, who voted for it etc.. The only condition is that it is listed as active resolution in your submitted save.
    • The resolution can be proposed once a civilization has researched Flight. (if the tooltip is right)
    • If you're using Improved City View, make sure it's the fixed version from the 3-14 Beta thread.
    • I'm aware that the new beta contains large changes, thus I opted for a challenge that does not directly involve the happiness system (other than it affects all your empire in general).
    • For the same reason, be aware that bugs may be detected. Don't exploit them (of course) if you find one. If you want to be sure, perhaps wait a few days whether any hotfix comes up before playing.

This challenge is the last of a season of 12 challenges. After the submission deadline, I will rank all participants (divided by difficulty level) and you will get 15/13/11/10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1/1/1/... points for the 1st/2nd/3rd... rank. At the end of the season, your best 10 results will count for the final ranking.

The winners of the season (one for Prince, one for Immortal) will be granted the opportunity to become a part of the game as a Great Person of their choice (Prophets excluded). Thanks to Gazebo for this contribution to the challenge! Also if the winners are already set (Dejagore and Thomas8), don't hesitate to participate!

Now... download the save for your difficulty, make sure you have Vox Populi version 3-14 and you're ready to go!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  2. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

3. Grabbl

Grabbl Prince

And here are the results for the last challenge of this season:

The number of participants was quite low, perhaps partly because some people weren't able to load the save - sorry for that, I still don't know what went wrong this time. Still, thanks to those who participateds and congratulations for Thomas8 and Omen of Peace for winning the Prince and Immortal challenges!

The scoreboard is now complete, I won't say much here, but in the final results post. Thomas8 and Dejagore already had enough points before this challenge to win, the only change in the scores is that Dejagore manages to climb in a shared third place for the Immortal challenge and Omen of Peace is a new member of the One-Participation-One-Victory-club :goodjob:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  4. Grabbl

Grabbl Prince

Well, it says Beta :D Let's see...

5. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I like that the starting luxury is tea for both starts.

TranceBlossom and Moi Magnus like this.
  6. TheBigFundamental

TheBigFundamental Chieftain

Lovely theme and very appropriate that Tea is the starting luxury!

Grabbl likes this.
  7. nemoens

nemoens Chieftain

Tie breaker should instead be closest to a 52:48 world congress vote wins :D

Edit: Save game seems to crash with nothing other than the normal 14-3 mods installed. Can someone else can confirm that the save does work before I go through a reinstall?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    burleigh likes this.
  8. Kars

Kars Chieftain

You made me laugh on a monday. Thank you.

9. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Haha I love this!

10. tothePAIN

tothePAIN King

I experienced the same issue.

11. Grabbl

Grabbl Prince

Looking into it...

12. Grabbl

Grabbl Prince

Weird, I am able to load both saves with either 3-14-1b or 3-14-2b. Is anyone able to load the save? (just to know)
    So, I'd suggest reinstalling as a next step.

13. Thomas8

Thomas8 Chieftain

I had no problem with Prince level save. But I only have 3-14-1b + your religion UI mod (+ one UI mod for trade routes).

14. Gothic_Empire

Gothic_Empire AKA, Ramen Empire

Religion UI mod? Tell me more.

15. Thomas8

Thomas8 Chieftain

16. Grabbl

Grabbl Prince

I'm happy that at least somebody managed to load the saves. And progress, @nemoens and @tothePAIN?

17. Omen of Peace

Omen of Peace Prince

I managed loading the Immortal save with the latest hotfix.
    For the last challenge, it was high time to try my hand at it! I finally feel comfortable in Immortal, so... (I skipped them because I was playing semperor for a long time, so neither level appealed to me)
    I'm off to a good start, but we'll see.

18. Comrade Deeco

Comrade Deeco Chieftain

I want to believe that the tea placement in the Immortal picture is Yorkshire, love this! :lol:

John.B.C likes this.
  19. nemoens

nemoens Chieftain

Afraid I'm getting crashes still after reinstalling with either the 3-14 1b or 2b betas. Can't quite work out why just yet, will have another go later.

20. Omen of Peace

Omen of Peace Prince

My entry for Immortal
    Spoiler :
    Turn 299 - Gold per turn 1350 or so (didn't write down, and so forgot)

It was an easy game overall. I went Tradition, but only settled 3 satellites. I could've forward-settled more and gotten at least one more city, but since I was being greedy (very little army!) I didn't want to be too close to Sweden.

I went Goddess of Wisdom (via Stonehenge, but I didn't finish it early - still got it thankfully) to get a small early boost in science and get to techs earlier than others; I had in mind to get the Great Library to snowball.

It worked since I got a ton of wonders throughout the game.
    In particular, Oracle (finished building while in Medieval to get +1000 c/s), Sankore, Pisa, Porcelain Tower...
    The Whale and Tea monopolies (once I got East India Company) certainly helped.

I could have done better with Research Agreements but my diplomatic game was poor this time around.
    At some point Sweden took one of Portugal's cities so I declared war on him hoping to get brownie points with her... but it didn't work at all - I think she peaced out with him not long after.
    I didn't have that many units, though there were more advanced than the Swedish ones, but I lost one or two - underestimated his bonus on attack.

Later on I liberated Portugal's city but by that time she had stolen some land via citadel and I had taken it back so she never liked me. (I did forward settle her somewhat in the beginning.)

For Religion, I went Way of Transcendence - not my first pick this game since I didn't intend to spread much, but Wisdom is not faith-rich at first so I was 3rd to found IIRC.
    I went with Inspiration - I was really behind in culture vs science at that point, and had to wait to build wonders. But I'm not sure it was the right pick, perhaps I should have gone Science all the way to speed up the challenge.
    I enhance first or second and got Synagogues (for science) and Iconography.
    I Reformed very late in the game after vassalizing Portugal and sending a Prophet to Sweden - I got the "Leader of the Congress " belief.

I had wars throughout the game, alternating between Germany - who declared most often - Sweden, Portugal, and in a late stage the Netherlands.

I vassalized Portugal when she was paid to declare on me even though she was already losing a war to Sweden. He took one of her cities, I took 2 (including the capital) and vassalized her when the blocking timer expired (for capitulation, the timer shouldn't be there IMO).
    Near the end I vassalized Germany - my army wasn't big, but technologically much better and fairly well-upgraded. I did lose units here and there - damn this improved AI!! :)
    I could have gone for Sweden too but the end was near so I decided to go fast.

Of course I got a ton of spy action throughout, and the White Tower yielded more than 20,000 gold and science thanks to my actions and spy kills.

Overall impression: I thought I was doing very well, but
    - I probably spent to too much time wonder-whoring
    - I should have gone for the Science per pop belief
    - I missed out on Research Agreements.

About the challenge: I don't like the "gold per turn" tie breaker since it can be gamed (sell your units, sell your buildings).

About happiness: I had some issues in the beginning. The current system needs to evolve, e.g. penalizing workers and caravan production is not a good idea! (this has already been mentioned in the beta thread)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019