1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The War on Loco

Discussion in 'Team Epsilon' started by Memphus, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Memphus

Memphus Deity

I figured this should get a new thread and we can leave the Ministry of defence for just that. All other Troop related conversations :)

Ok so I have looked at our First Target. We have it in 4 turns for sure, maybe 3 depending on what the odds are after the bombard. And If Loco can muster any more troops.

So now I am looking beyond City #1.

City #2 is we want to march to their Capital.

But in the meantime I think we can take 1 more City. Delhi to the NW. Where our Firgate is. If the Frigate Begin s Bombarding the Defenses this turn and the Galleons Brings over the Cannons to unload, We could send 2-3Cavalry running though Loco Land to Joing them and Take that city, while our other Cannons, and Grenadiers are marching to the Capital.

Thoughts?

2. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

:hmm:

It would be smart to present Loco with a choice: If we threaten more than one city at a time, they will have to decide how to split their defenders.

I won't be able to open the save for another few hours, but I wonder if it's possible for us to make Loco think that we can land in more than one spot? Can we bombard more than one town in the same turn?

3. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

We should save all our southern troops for a march on the capital.

We have 5 galleons available to transport troops for an amphibious assault on Delhi, Reading, or both. I would like to fill them as fast as possible with 15 cannons and grenadiers/rifles.

There is a nice spot marked "Rally Point" where we can threaten 2 Loco cities and 1 Innovian city.

I think our Frigates should be used to patrol the Loco-Innovia bay and sink any Innovian reinforcements.

4. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

So how are we going to get 15 units? We can't upgrade, because all our obsolete units are being used for happiness.

Here's one possible way:
    5 Cannons (waiting)
    2 Cannons (build in Immortal Keep)
    1 Rifleman (draft in holy city)
    2 Riflemen (draft in Sunrise Citadel)
    2 Riflemen (draft in Point Defiance)
    2 Riflemen (draft in Overlook Bay)
    1 Rifleman (whip in Overlook Bay)

Dune is a great drafting city, but I left it out because I think it should be used to reinforce the southern army. Plus it will have a barracks if we wait a few turns.

5. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

I would also like to send 1 of Dune's galleons to explore east and confirm there are no ships lurking in the bay. We can build another galleon to take its place.

6. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

We need to be sending a message to them, even if it is a bluff that we are prepared to attack other cities and that they will need to be wary of protecting their entire area and thus we will be able to thin out the defenders over a broader area and make them panic and think that we have two armies approaching them.

7. Memphus

Memphus Deity

East into the Loco only bay? (This I am assuming as the Other Bay, Innovia - Loco, is more like a Sea and that is where the Frigates are headed :) )

8. Memphus

Memphus Deity

We captured a worker (before Loco cvould disband him :evil:) anyways he was renamed Joe Harker.

Should we post about it in stories of Bravery and such?

9. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I think that's an appropriate place to mention it...
    But are you sure we captured him? I thought that he welcomed our troops with flowers and chocolates ;)

10. Memphus

Memphus Deity

So what is the team comfortable with for odds for attacks? > 80%? >90%.

Obviously the first thing we have to do is bombard thier city defenses. But then after that do we want to wait for 1 turn, to have the cannons back? Or do we want to use the remaining 2 Cannons to attack then full bore?

Or d owe want to use our Cavalry & City Raider Grenadiers to eat some units thus giving our Cannons weaker units to attack.

Or we could just say: Memphus look at the odds and make the call at that time.

11. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

I think it's safer to wait a turn. With all the cannons used up, we barely have enough attackers to kill every defender. After a couple bad rolls we won't be able to take it the first turn anyway.

City raider cannons are just as good as city raider grenadiers, plus they do collateral... :evil:

12. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I'm hoping to learn a lot from this phase of the game :D

In my private games, I will attack with ground units when the odds are over 66%, but only if I have at least 1/3 more attackers than they have defenders. On the other hand, I've never waited a turn to reuse the seige weapons, as I always keep my Accuracy promoted bombardiers around for the next city.

My only worry in waiting a turn is that they might be able to rush or move more units into Mycenae.

13. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

It's hard to see them reinforcing enough to counter 5 extra cannons. ;)

14. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

We should be able to first bombard their defece and then we shall be able to over run them. So when we do attack the first time, are we going to first use our cannos to help remove some strength, or are we just going to attack wit what we have, since we should have enough to counter them? I would say that we should attack first with cannons and then we go after hen with Cavs or grens defending on if we are facing rifles or not.

15. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Here is a screenshot of their defenses:

Here is a screenshot of our attackers:

You'll note that the city is on a hill, so defenders get a big bump from that. You'll also note that the city is only getting +40% cultural defense, and we'll have all 5 cannons available for next turn.

If I can't completely eliminate the cultural defense with the cannons I have, I usually suicide the last cannon (or two) once the cultural defense is near 10%. Since non-promoted seige units effect collateral damage, I figure it works out better that way.

Either way, I agree that it's unlikely they can arrange to supply the city with more than a unit or two on the interturn, if we're not able to take the city next turn. However, this is actually a big plus for us. I'm of the opinion that this represents most of Loco's existing army. Why? Look at the promotions the units have. The Muskets all have experience - these are upgraded units, not units built in a rush. However, the catapults have no promotions :hmm:

I'd really like us to be able to see where Loco is deploying their existing troops - that would give us a good idea of what sort of promoted units we'll be facing, and thus where to place our cannons.

On the bright side, the one city of theirs that is visible in their north is defended by a single longbow w/ CG1! That's great news - if that pattern holds, we won't need much more than 3 cavalry per city :ar15:

ps- if anyone has any suggestion on how to get stupid imageshack images to display full size, I'm all ears :blush:

16. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

What I did to display Imageshack pictures in full size was to click on the thumbnail after uploading. A full size picture pops up. Right click on the picture, and select "Copy Image Location". Then paste into IMG tags here in the forum.

On topic, I have nothing to contribute except that I like the idea of :hammer: Loco.

17. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

I try to keep my Accuracy catas/cannons around too, but also won't hesitate to sacrifice some of those if that helps keeping my main attackers alive. I'd rather lose a Accuracy cannon than a cavalry, which is more mobile and might already be higher promoted.

However, I always try to bring some non-accuracy cannons as well for that purpose, and I think we have here, too, so I'd wait a turn and weaken the defenders with collateral damage before taking the city. Even if they manage to bring in more units, that's okay. They won't receive any long-time fortification bonus, they won't receive any cultural bonus, only the hill is a bit annoying. But they will receive collateral damage as well, and thus will be easy prey to our attackers.

The exception to all this would be if our attackers have >90% odds of winning even without suicide cannons. In that case, I'd say don't wait and go for it! :hammer:

I'm more concerned by their catapults, as they will slow us down.

-Kylearan

18. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Hopefully Loco does something stupid like Suicide all their catapults on their next turn. Seeing as we have a Medic in the group :evil:

But bar them not being silly, my main goal when attacking is to always seperate yourself from the imminent battle, and keep focused on the war. At this point we have no need to get it doen quickly as there is no :mad: wearyness yet since we havn't taken a city, and the war just started.

Also our reinforcements are still a ways away, and the logner it takes us to takae Mycenia, the mroe troops Loco will send that way, not expecting another 4-5 boat loads to land in thier north.

In any event in 20-25 Turns Loco will be no more :)

19. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

Interesting (or maybe not? :p ) side-discussion: Would that really by stupid? What would you do in their stead with the catas? They don't receive defensive boni, and Loco won't be able to use them to bombard any city defenses, so I think suiciding them against our stack(s) would be the smartest move they could do. If our prediction of their military being light is true, their only hope is to slow us down so in the meantime they can a) build more units to protect their core, b) tech to a more advanced military tech or c) try to enlist help from their allies. And suiciding catas will slow us down, despite the medic - although if I were them, I'd not suicide them all on turn 1.

Well, we'll see what they do. ;)

-Kylearan

20. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

That medic isn't going to help much at all if we suffer collateral damage from 3 catapults. We'd have to sit there and heal for at least 2 turns, more likely twice that!

If we get hit with damage, I'm afraid we won't have time to heal.

If I were Loco, I'd definitely use those cats against our stack.... which brings up the question: To split the stack, or not to split the stack?