The War on Uniform Christmas Hegemony

QuoVadisNation

keeping your angel alive
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/10/airport.christmas.trees.ap/index.html

I don't know what to think of this. The idea of one complaint from one man taking down all the Christmas trees seems incredibly callous. Even though that wasn't the original intent, it sure darn seems like it. What do you guys think?

My opinion? At least they didn't call em' "holiday trees". :rolleyes:

Oy, this whole war against Christmas is annoying

Meh its just tradition i guess the national christmas tree. Even though im opposed to the using of government money for a religious tradition i dont have a problem with it.

We do we need to waste government money on airport holiday displays anyways?

Ha! I posted almost the exact same thing. We are more alike then you think! ;)

This isn't part of the "war on christmas"

Its a rabbi who wanted a menorah on display with one of the christmas trees (reasonable) and threatened to sue if his demands were not met (unreasonable).

The airline felt that if they went ahead with the menorah display in would be a slippery slope wherein they would have to represent all cultures. While not against the idea of a multicultural display the airline needed time to contemplate the idea so they took down the christmas trees rather than face a lawsuit.

So, its just a tale of a tactless rabbi in a suehappy society.

:xmastree: {sue me}

Why do they need to put up a christmas tree at all?

I doubt it has an effect on thier business... All it does is offends idiots if anything.

Its a rabbi who wanted a menorah on display with one of the christmas trees (reasonable) and threatened to sue if his demands were not met (unreasonable).
Now thats just silly. Then again I am appauled at the sue-happy society that this country has become.

Adamb0mb said:
The airline felt that if they went ahead with the menorah display in would be a slippery slope wherein they would have to represent all cultures.
Umm, where did they based their logic on? The only cultures I know that celebrates these winter holidays are Christian (Christmas), Jewish (Hanukkah), and African (Kwanzaa). Yet I know several organizations that accommodate all three of them.

Umm, where did they based their logic on? The only cultures I know that celebrates these winter are Christian (Christmas), Jewish (Hanukkah), and African (Kwanzaa).

That's three times the money and three times the space than if they just did a Christmas display, though. Remember, you have to think like a businessman, not like, well, CG.

Umm, where did they based their logic on? The only cultures I know that celebrates these winter holidays are Christian (Christmas), Jewish (Hanukkah), and African (Kwanzaa). Yet I know several organizations that accommodate all three of them.

Right there is 3 you were able to come up with off the top off your head. What about Fifty and his celebration of Festiva ;) ? And what about...

So there are some things for the airline to consider for a multicultural display and rather than get sued they took down the tree (hopefully temporarily)

I find all of it very silly. But given the Christmas tree's origin as the Ygdrassil (sp?) and the Jewish prohibition against worshipping idols, I can see why they might not like Christmas trees anyways . . .

Right there is 3 you were able to come up with off the top off your head. What about Fifty and his celebration of Festiva ;) ? And what about...
What in the world is Festivis?! :lol:. I thought it was a fictional holiday from Seinfeld.

Adamb0mb said:
So there are some things for the airline to consider for a multicultural display and rather than get sued they took down the tree (hopefully temporarily)
Why not just mold all three of them to make it a Chrismahanukkuazza celibration ;)?

I have seen a strong negative reaction towards the Rabii's complaint, admittedly, not so much here.

I think the negative reactions are due to the Rabii threatening litigation, not to him voicing his opinion.

What in the world is Festivis?! :lol:. I thought it was a fictional holiday from Seinfeld.

A fictional holiday of happiness!

Why not just mold all three of them to make it a Chrismahanukkuazza celibration ;)?

Thats probably gonna be the result, and you can say you called it!

No one's belief is being disrespected.

No but other then christian religions are treated as second class. If you aren't going to give equal time to all beliefs expect the ones you blow of as insignificant to get pissy.

Top Bottom