The Welcome Center

peter grimes

Retired Moderator
Greetings!

Let's use this thread to get to know eachother a little bit. Feel free to post as much or as little as you like :)

I'll start us off:
My user name is my real name. I live in New York City, which has been great so far. But with 20% of the city's income derived from the financial services sector, it may not be a great place to be for the next few years :(

I'm a woodworker / furniture maker for a theatre. Mostly it's pretty mundane stuff - make a chair stronger, change the dimensions of a table top, build mock-ups for the actors to rehearse with, &cet. Every now and then there's something interesting to work on, like a mechanical effect or a custom built piece of furniture.

I've been in all 3 previous MTDGs. In the first, I was on MIA. Chamnix was on our team, and I'm pretty sure he was the single reason we won. You can read all of our team's private posts here. In the next civ3 MTDG, which is currently going on, I'm on The Council. The forums have not been unlocked yet. But you're welcome to join The Council or any of the other remaining teams (team Gong is dead :salute:) by posting here. In the last (and first :crazyeye:) cIV MTDG, I was on Epsilon Team. But then I switched to Piffle because there was nobody around to play their save. You can read all of those teams' forums here.

I am not a great cIV player, and I've never played BtS. I will be getting the game soon, though. But my MTDG experience has taught me that far and away the most important thing is not playing the save perfectly, but perfect Diplomacy. Good Diplomacy in this game can take a weak position and leverage it into a strong one. Strong Alliances are the only way to win. Even if it is decided that Domination is the way to go, you have to keep 3 teams from ganging up on you while you pummel the 4th.

Epsilon did the unthinkable - they won a Diplomatic Victory in a multiplayer environment. :eek:

Spoiler TEAM 5 ROSTER: :

Domino369
James009
Numdydar
cujo376
Hummel
peter grimes: email peter dot smith dot grimes at gmail
TinkerBe11
simmam31
Aserjiek
Rantamplanzzz
Unionfield
JoeyDawt
Lord Neil
DaveShack
HUSch
ruggi
*it is not necessary to post your email here, but some people prefer to get private communication via email rather than private message

Copy & paste from the other thread:

I'm a member of the german civilization forum (civforum.de) and want to see the fanatic-style to play this game. Secondary I want to practice my english. So if you don't understand what i say/write, please tell me. I played some DGs in the civforum (for example the last ISDG with your team) and my SP-level is emperor/immortal.

Oh - that reminds me:

My level of play is Noble / Prince, but I almost never play SP. I'm playing a PitBoss Team game with my cousin, and I've got 5 games going with guys I work with. But they're really not that much of a challenge :p

Hey I`m fairly new to playing civ online but I have been playing quite awhile. I hope to learn new ways strategies and ways of playing, and most of all have fun.
Ihre Anglish ist sehr gut Hummel!

Well, I posted my resume -so to speak- in two separate folders (one being the sign-up thread, first post) so I'll just say that I have played Civ IV Bts and otherwise ALOT. The problem is that I prefer to play mods like Fall From Heaven II and its ModMod Fall Further, as well as the one I'm currently enjoying right now: Rise of Mankind. I've actually done a bit of modding myself. I haven't created code (or at least original code) but I have done some stuff in C++ and python, and I have done alot in xml simply because it is the easiest area to mod :3.

I have no AIM but my Yahoo is Domino.36963@yahoo.com, MSN is Domino.36963@live.com, GMail is Domino369@gmail.com (but I only go on there to talk with my dad while he's at work)

I plan to profess in Computer Science in college, but that hardly seems relevant lol. I'm 17 and my name is David. Also the fastest runner in school, but again, not relevant xD

Forgot: Monarch and Prince are my favors

Hello everyone!

I'm 23 years old and am currently a college student in Illinois studying Political Science with a minor in Law Enforcement. For the record, most of my PS work is in International Relations and Government (which is why I love Civilization) and with Law Enforcement I study Homeland Security and Administration. Fun stuff!

Anyways, I am currently unemployed. I was a Resident Assistant for a year before now but decided not to pursue another year in Housing. It was an interesting job and I'll leave it at that...

I've been a Civilization fan since it first came out when I was young where I played it in my friends basement. Currently I play a lot of LAN multiplayer with my two roommates using the Extra Mod. Otherwise, I have a similar problem to Domino369. I usually play at Warlord or Noble difficulty levels.

The problem is that I prefer to play mods like Fall From Heaven II and its ModMod Fall Further, as well as the one I'm currently enjoying right now: Rise of Mankind.
I just love playing RoM because of the added Revolution elements, extra units, and randomness. It makes the game that much harder, more dynamic, random, and fun!

Anyways, expect me to have interesting diplomatic ideas when playing this game. As I said in the other thread I am a fan of multilateralism, wars by proxy, and foreign affairs.

Hello everyone!

I'm 23 years old and am currently a college student in Illinois studying Political Science with a minor in Law Enforcement. For the record, most of my PS work is in International Relations and Government (which is why I love Civilization) and with Law Enforcement I study Homeland Security and Administration. Fun stuff!

Anyways, I am currently unemployed. I was a Resident Assistant for a year before now but decided not to pursue another year in Housing. It was an interesting job and I'll leave it at that...

I've been a Civilization fan since it first came out when I was young where I played it in my friends basement. Currently I play a lot of LAN multiplayer with my two roommates using the Extra Mod. Otherwise, I have a similar problem to Domino369. I usually play at Warlord or Noble difficulty levels.

I just love playing RoM because of the added Revolution elements, extra units, and randomness. It makes the game that much harder, more dynamic, random, and fun!

Anyways, expect me to have interesting diplomatic ideas when playing this game. As I said in the other thread I am a fan of multilateralism, wars by proxy, and foreign affairs.

Likewise. I am double-majoring in Political Science and Legal Studies.

Likewise. I am double-majoring in Political Science and Legal Studies.

Very nice! I try to avoid any legal aspects like the plague but nonetheless find myself in "The Legal Aspects of Homeland Security". Its ok but I simply don't have the study ethic to be a lawyer or something. Is that what your aiming for... or Congress?

Now, the real question for the fellow Political Scientist is:
Are you a Realist or a Utopian? lol

Hey all,

My name is Javier, Im from spain, and Im "inovation manager" in a telecomunication company, "innovation manager" means that my work basically consists in finding public funds to financiate the I+D and foreign relations of the company.

In my free time i play civ IV ( :p ) and make my own web site about gothic theme, its in spanish but you all are wellcome to visit ( www.kulturagotika.com ).

In CiV i play from time to time what i call a enjoy game (monarch/emperor dificult) and then i switch in the next months for real threats like deity games or inmortal game with hard settings.

I win a deity cultural victory on vanilla and im trying to win a game in BtS deity but although i can deal with other civs i cant deal with the first wave of barbarians!!! (or i cant keep killilng and surviving at same time).

This is my very first multiplayer online game so I have plenty of stuff to learn here.

I never really mentioned anything about myself My name is Joe I live in Ottawa Canada, right now I work at Ottawa Civic hospital (birthplace of the queen of the Netherlands), I clean operating rooms and my schedule is absolutly all over the place. Sorry if somethings take me awhile to respond to. As for playing I`m much less experienced than most as I have mentioned, and I have no multiplayer experience but I`m sure i`ll catch on quick :)

One other thing that we should all mention:
Are you willing / able to be turnplayer?

What are the duties of the turnplayer?
1. execute the wishes of the team when playing the save
2. playing the save before the turn-timer runs out
3. posting a Turn Report detailing important actions, events, anything of note
4. issuing discussion that the team needs to address before the next turn
5. ensure a smooth transition when the next turnplayer takes over

Here's an example of a wonderful turn report. Since this is a pitboss game, and people will be able to look at the save without going into the team's gmail, downloading it, opening it, I don't expect we'll need quite so much detail. However, posting screenshots and detailing the events and actions of the turn will still be necessary. Not all of us will be able to look at the save every single turn.

For the record, I cannot be turnplayer as of now, but once I get BtS I'm willing to do it.

Very nice! I try to avoid any legal aspects like the plague but nonetheless find myself in "The Legal Aspects of Homeland Security". Its ok but I simply don't have the study ethic to be a lawyer or something. Is that what your aiming for... or Congress?

Now, the real question for the fellow Political Scientist is:
Are you a Realist or a Utopian? lol

I uguess I'd be more of a realist, but I'm not heavy into political theory. More of a practical politics guy, myself.

As a side note, I'm willing to be the turn player every now and then, but right when this game starts I'll be knee deep in finals and term papers.

Hello everyone!

I'm 23 years old and am currently a college student in Illinois studying Political Science with a minor in Law Enforcement....

Oh wow lol, it's a small world after all xD
Illinois FTW!!! Will be moving to Chicago from the suburbs of a city that seemingly doesn't exist near Naperville xD when I start college :3 (hopefully DePaul, just hoping on scholarships to pay for the 125,000 dollar + for all four years)

Oh wow lol, it's a small world after all xD
Illinois FTW!!! Will be moving to Chicago from the suburbs of a city that seemingly doesn't exist near Naperville xD when I start college :3 (hopefully DePaul, just hoping on scholarships to pay for the 125,000 dollar + for all four years)

haha, awesome. It is a small world afterall. :goodjob:

I uguess I'd be more of a realist, but I'm not heavy into political theory. More of a practical politics guy, myself.
Ah, I find myself to be a practical realist as well, however, I often have a utopian outlook on things... it can be confusing sometimes, lol.

Yeah, I'm pretty heavy into political theory, governments, and some history. What type of political science do you study?

Howdy all, now that I'm off the fence here's some info.

I'm 47, married with two kids (girl 7 & boy 5), and a software engineer at a very large tech company. I've been playing Civ since Dec '02 and participated in all the democracy games and team demogames since Civ3 DG3. I've hosted a couple of pitboss games, and played in a dozen or so.

I'm only a Noble / low Prince player and have no idea what's missing in my play -- but I can be a reliable turnplayer if the stronger players give good instructions. Except for the occasional impromptu business trip or family movie night, or when my game computer loses its connection -- so if I'm turnplayer there better be a backup. :mischief:

Unfourtunatly I will not be available this weekend as I am moving again I will check look once or twice before and after work today but i`m afraid i`ll be gone for the weekend, just thought I should explain my absence

Hello
I`m HUSch, german and not so good in english, but at the game good in intelligence. Besides the governeering of cities etc. i like to get infos from the open sources like the F9-Graphics and numbers. Where i`m lacking touch of is war and all what is together it.

Top Bottom