The Will of Binaria

fed1943

Emperor
I installed BtS yesterday and now I can't open the save.
(I had dual install, tried several ways, but no avail).
So, I'm no longer able to take good care of cities or workers, a.k.a. be
Governor of a Aimag.
I could pretend to keep on the role, but, as I see it, that would be just
to disrespect my partners.
I'll post some suggestions (not instructions) to this play session, because
I had something prepared before this happen.
The Office stays from now on at your disposal.
I shall not vote on the Chieftain pro tem appointment, by the same reason.
My best regards,

which error message do you get when opening the save?

the save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your
mod folder have not been changed

sounds like installing BtS patched your 1.61 version too :sad: I guess you could try re-installing and re-dual-installing the entire game.

You 've now the patched version. If you 've made a copy before patch, then you must start the civ4 in the copy. That goes in the most time.

That's odd, as I'm fairly certain we did it correctly when I helped you setup the dual install. If I'm remembering correctly, we named your copy "Civ4 1.61", or something like that. Therefore it should have been in a separate folder than the default vanilla folder. You should be able to use the 1.61 shortcut we created on your desktop to load the old patch. :hmm: That's odd.

Here's a thought, try going into the 1.61 vanilla folder that we created and locate the exe file. It should be something like this:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 v.1.61

You'll have a exe file there, though I can't recall what we named it. Sorry fed, my memory isn't that good and it's been a while since we did that.

Can you double click the exe file there and see if the 1.61 version loads?

Also, remember that you need to place the save in the 1.61 My Games folder.

I'm moving our discussion from IM to here so I can get others feedback. I think this will work, but I'm not sure. This is my suggestion:

Go to your C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\ folder. Locate the default Civ4 folder which will be named "Sid Meier's Civilization 4". Rename the folder to, say "Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Current Version".

Once you have done that go back to your C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\ folder and locate the dual install of vanilla that you and I created a while back. Rename that file to "Sid Meier's Civilization 4". What this does is switch the two folders, making the old copied 1.61 version the default version.

Now you have two options that I see, they are:
  1. Now that you have done that, go to this page where you can get the 1.61 patch. Install it.
  2. Or, once you have renamed them, you could delete the default (now the 1.61 version) folder and reinstall vanilla. Once you've done that, you would than use the 1.61 patch to update.

Once you have done this, than you need to go back and rename everything again. Make the current (1.61) version the copied folder and make the 1.74 version the default folder. This should bring everything back, possibly.

Before you try any of this, you might want to wait for any other respondents. I hate to tell you to try something if it won't work. :D

If there are two directories as Methos's post suggests, you might want to launch the .exe files one at a time and go to advanced->about this build to see what the patch levels are. If one reports 1.61 and the other reports 1.74, it might be as simple as creating a desktop or start menu shortcut to run the 1.61 version.

If you launch it right off the CD it will ALWAYS bring up the latest patched in a dual install. I made 2 different shortcuts and it worked.

If you launch it right off the CD it will ALWAYS bring up the latest patched in a dual install. I made 2 different shortcuts and it worked.

But he doesn't want to load the current patch, but the old version. Remember we are still using the 1.61 patch for the DG.

But he doesn't want to load the current patch, but the old version. Remember we are still using the 1.61 patch for the DG.

The point of robboo's post was that a separate shortcut is the way to launch an older version. ;)

I was going to say that you need to make sure that you lanuch the right verison.
So you need to load the game using the button that starts Civ 4 within the 1.61 Civ 4 folder.

You can check what verison you run in game by going to options and check verisons.

Hope this helps!

It did not work.

I deleted the dual; changed the name from Sid Meyer's Civilization 4 to um,

both in the E:\ and My games; then, I tried to install the game from the CD.

But it knew was there and just showed the usual menu: "Play" "Read"

"Cancel".

So, Binaria has won: that his will be done. I'll be around as lurker, citizen.

May I suggest partner/citizen HUSch as NE Governor pro tem?

Good chance for him to practice what most of you call micromanage and what

most of you call English.

Best regards,

did you uninstall it (through an uninstall wizard), or did you just delete the folders?

Just deleted the folders.

Tried on the control panel, but it looks that will uninstall (remove) everything.

Best regards,

Here's the full procedure, in case you haven't completely given up.

Uninstall Civ4, from the control panel. You might have to uninstall warlords and/or BTS first.
Reinstall Civ4.
Patch to 1.61
Make a copy of the program files\civ4 directory and the my documents\civ4 (those aren't the full names of course)
Make a shortcut to the copy version
Reinstall warlords if you had it
Install BTS (or patch to 1.74 if you don't want BTS function)
Run demogame using the copy version, and new games using the standard one.

Thanks, I shall try.
Just a question,please:
Do I need to do something lest the 1.74 patch goes into both versions?
Best regards,

Patches install in the directory that the Windows registry says is current. Also it remembers the patch level and won't let you patch backwards, which is why the copy must be the old patch version and the "normal" directory has to be the new patch version.

Impressive! Fantastic!! It worked!!! I am in game now.

And with civ 4, warlords and BtS all patched.

Just did as Dave posted: removed everything, then re-install and made the

copy of civilization 4 (itself gave the name).

The shortcut doesn't begin the game, but opens the copy folder, then click

the exe and choose single,load game (save file should be saved into the folder).

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Top Bottom