The winners of the Old World random draw/competition

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
We have just selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition.
We were very happy that we got 108 entries from the forum and Twitter, and that we could select among the ones whom we liked best!

The winner for the best entry is @Deggial
I have only visited a limited assortment of „old world civs“ in my life: Etrusc, Rome, Mycenae, Greece and Egypt.
All of their antiquity site are awesome!

Egypt, however, granted me one of the most impressive experiences in my life:
On my Egypt trip, we had one excess day all of a sudden. We decided to visit one of the lesser frequented sites, the Bent Pyramid in Dahshur. As only a few tourists visit this place, our group was the only one at this time.
It is (was?) possible to enter this pyramid and we climbed down into its central chamber. This was fascinating in itself.
But when we left, I stayed just a little bit longer, finally being alone down there.
The silence.
The smell of stone.
The feeling of weight of thousands of tons of stone and the centuries passed.
I will never forget this moment in my life and I am incredible thankful I was able to experience it.

Therefore - for entirely silly personal reasons - I choose Egypt.

I liked the very personal note of this entry, and 2 out of 3 other members of the jury agreed there too.
We also liked a couple of other entries, mostly the longer ones e.g. by Angst or Ghengis Cat, but we had to select one one, sorry :(.

The winner for the best joke entry is @Dadais
Let's go for the coriosolites.

Influenced by the celtic culture they are part of, they hold deep respect for their druid Getafix and great tolerance towards their bard Cacofonix.

While agricultural activities are common to most celtic tribes, the coriosolites are rather opposite to these vegan hobbies, having Unhygienix fishing at sea (or so he says...) and its hunters, their best beeing Asterisk, Obelisk and Dogmatix, hunting for wild boars.

Various sources are implying the coriosolites displayed an invicible weapon, yet couldn't agree on its nature. Superstitious ones talked about a magic potion, while pragmatics figured a "Lambig" liquid gifted to its hostiles neighbors. Few also found trace of a revered name in these neighbors literacy : "Panacea, whom no soldier could harm", which arouse strong doubts about their pacifist reputation.

The story of this civilisation is narrated in many books, and their feat is the most incredible :
Their ruler Impedimenta (and her spokesman Vitalstatistix) resisted again and again against Ceasar's imperial rule !

Here we also liked the effort put into the entry, and to give this very special civ also a civ-spin.
The other entries, like The Shire from PiR, or the beans-and-water-exporting Englishman from North Korean Liberation Front on Twitter were also liked, but again we could only select one :(.

The 3 winners of the random draw are @8housesofelixir, @cairnsy44 and @Das Capitolin
Congratulations to all the winners. We will send you the key via PM.
Thanks everyone for contributing :hatsoff:, it was nice to see what the community here thinks.

For reproducibility, the link of the random draw: https://randraw.com/r/1529-cRmjS1sSxr50b5JIBSqqKtTThyMEYj

Old World is currently available in the Epic Store, and will be availabe from May 19 also at GOG and Steam.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for contributing :hatsoff:, it was nice to see what the community here thinks.

Thank you for the generosity! It's super cool of you guys to include Civ Fanatics, too!
I look forward to making this my new game for the summer. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the generosity! It's super cool of you guys to include Civ Fanatics, too!
I look forward to making this my new game for the summer. :thumbsup:

Oh, we are civ-fanatics ;). Soren and Tim (from Hooded Horse, the publisher) asked us if we wanted to do something and gave us the keys, but we have no official connection or anything with them.
And as the true civ-fanatics we are, we'd obviously include the other civ-fanatics ;).

Congratulations! Both winners very much deserve it!

Congrats to the winners! :D

I personally am happy @Deggial entry on Egypt was chosen. I really liked the story behind it, and how personal their choice was. I could totally relate, having a similar goal when I finally get to Egypt.

Congratulations winners! Very good entries on the 'best entries' and 'joke entries'. Thanks @The_J for your time on organising this!

W ... Wow!

This is so unexpected and awesome!
Believe it or not - this is the first time I've won something in the internet!
And "Thank you!" for activly choosing my entry as one of the winnig posts! :thanx:
That's even better than a random draw!

I am looking forward to play the game soon - thanks to your generosity and great organisation. (Thank you for this, too! :thumbsup: )
Congratulations and "have a lot of fun!" to all the other winners as well! :wavey:

Last edited:
Thanks guys :).
I should again mention that we had this little competition because Soren actually asked Thunderfall, and Tim from Hooded Horse organized all the rest. So a thanks to them too :).

Thanks guys :).
I should again mention that we had this little competition because Soren actually asked Thunderfall, and Tim from Hooded Horse organized all the rest. So a thanks to them too :).

Indeed, thanks to them! Hope this competition also gets more people to try out the game.

Congratulations to the winners! I won Old World in the Civilization birthday competition, and I love the game. Hope y'all enjoy it as much as I do.

wt heck my name isnt even on the list??

Sorry, not everyone can win :(.
If you check for the link of the random draw, on the bottom you can see all the names which were entered, which also includes yours.

You were part of the list in which 3 candidates were randomly picked.

upload_2022-5-16_22-34-34.png

Top Bottom