eyrei

Deity
Retired Moderator
Proposal for Domestic Policy: The Wonder Race

This proposal is based on the following goals:

1. Construction of Universal Suffrage
2. Construction of the Theory of Evolution
3. Construction of Hoover Dam

Universal Suffrage, Theory of Evolution, and Hoover Dam will all require certain research paths, so this proposal is contingent on us following this path in research.

This is a most complicated and resource intensive goal. Here is how I intend to accomplish it.

1. Change research goal to industrialization. The science rate should be adjusted so that we will get steam power in the least amount of time while still making 20+ gold/turn.
2. Switch PDX to palace construction, provided the time to build is at least 30 turns.
3. Spend only the gold that is beyond the 20 gold/turn.
4. Once steam power is researched, send all workers within 3 turns of reaching PDX there, and begin railroading and mining until we have maximum production and no starvation (it can be re-irrigated later).
5. Once industrialization is researched, switch PDX to factory, and rush it if needed (probably will not be needed). Also, switch research goal to Scientific Method.
6. Switch PDX to coal plant. After one turn of construction, rush it. This is what we were saving our gold for.
7. Switch PDX to Universal suffrage, and continue using workers to optimize production.
8. Once Universal Suffrage and research for Scientific Method are both complete, switch PDX to TOE. We should have time to research Replaceable Parts while building TOE.
9. Make sure that we are researching Atomic Theory when the TOE is finished. Get Atomic Theory and Electronics.
10. Switch PDX to Hoover Dam.

If your vote is 'no' because you have another idea, please post that idea for discussion.

The relevant discussion thread is here .

could you please put "abstain" option in your polls? otherwise ppl not wanting to vote have to ignore the polls, which will falsify the voting rate.

My concern with that proposal is, are we putting too much emphasis on PDX? (PDX sounds like some industrial train station or something :)). We have to remember the competition that's invovled. Salamanca is a wonder powerhouse (take a look at their mined tiles), and there are others. I think we should have another city build factories, (even prebuild a coal plant to help out). Thebes will be finished with the FP soon, and that may open up much more production. We could have Thebes, or another city, such as Fox Nest build another wonder as a prebuild.

maybe we could start prebuilding something in PDX, Thebes and Fox Nest which will NOT be finished within the next 4 turns but is usefull (i dont know the build-queues at the moment). after the FP was built in 3 turns, we could recheck production situation.
maybe someone could calculate the production potential of the cities based on terrain?
the highest possible production city should get the win.

I believe that PDX is our highest shield producing city (about 23 spt). Perhaps someone with access to the save in the short term could post a listing of the highest production cities.

Bill
...in PDX

I voted no, Eyrei. Not because this isn't a workable plan, you have proven that I guess. But because if you wanted a powerhouse producer in the beautiful city of PDX, I believe you should have gone with the FP there, not some lung-stopping coal plant to pollute the area. I guess I'm just sentimental about PDX. I also believe we should pre-build in other cities as needed or available, to give us a chance of success with a deeper bench.

we should also calculate possible production as some cities are not prepared right with workers.

Cyc: The coal plant will only be there long enough to build Hoover Dam, and then it will be sold off.

Here's some info I gathered about PDX and Pherris:

PDX currently produces 19 s/t and already has 124 towards it's next build. At the current rate of production it would take PDX 36 turns to build universal suffrage if we start now. Railroading the tiles around PDx would speed this up.

Pherris currently produces 18 s/t and has 173 towards it's next build. It could build universal suffrage in 35 at this rate. Again, railroading would hasten the build time.

We have 7 turns to go before we have steam power and them we must research industrialization. If that takes ten turns to do then we should be within ten turns of having universal suffrage without building a factory or coal plant. Pre-building straight up seems the best way to get suffrage.

Having said all that I still vote that we concentrate on ToE rather than suffrage.

My vote in this poll is 'no'.

Donsig: This is the sub-forum for polls. The name just changed slightly.

Originally posted by donsig
Here's some info I gathered about PDX and Pherris:

PDX currently produces 19 s/t and already has 124 towards it's next build. At the current rate of production it would take PDX 36 turns to build universal suffrage if we start now.

That is very useful info. Thanks Mr. President. If we can manage to get industrialization before the palace is complete, we will not need to build the factory first...

I second Donsig, and that's just what my concern was. I also don't see a use for Universal Suffrage unless we're planning for a war in Democracy. It may be a good prebuild option, though, for Hoover's.

Originally posted by eyrei
Donsig: This is the sub-forum for polls. The name just changed slightly.

I figured out where I was eventually. Now that I'm a grandpa I'm not as quick as I used to be.;)

Even though I vote 'no' on this poll I think it is clear that PDX will build more wonders for us - whatever they turn out to be. I also think Pherris will build at least one wonder. These two cities, along with Fox Nest should have some workers building railroads around them as soon as we are able.
I also think we should make a priority of constructing a rail net connecting all our cities for defensive purposes.

Originally posted by donsig

I figured out where I was eventually. Now that I'm a grandpa I'm not as quick as I used to be.;)

Hehe. Did you just become a grandpa, or have you been one for a while? Congrats if it's a new thing.

Because of PDX's excellent shield production, it will not be necessary to build a factory and coal plant first to complete Universal Suffrage in about 20 turns. However, there are still some benefits to doing it this way. First, production of Universal Suffrage will only be slowed by about two turns. Second, once Universal Suffrage is complete, we should be near scientific method, and PDX (which will almost definately be the most productive city in the world at that point) can then build the TOE. Once the TOE is complete, PDX (which has a river) can build Hoover Dam.

It has also been suggested that we prebuild a palace in another city to construct the TOE. My concern with this plan is that all other cities (other than Fox's Nest, which obviously cannot prebuild with a palace) should still be working on improvements, particularly cultural ones. Also, I do not think any other city has the production potential that PDX does, so it would not necessarily speed up production all that much.

Comments? Please vote if you have not. This is important.

I am against this proposal. I like ToE however, and the Hoover Dam is extremely important for us to build. I dont really like Universal Suffrage however. While I do support the right of women to vote, I think building this wonder is done mainly with the goal in mind of starting a war in a republic or democracy, which I dont support. Even if a war is forced upon us, I think not having Universal Suffrage would cause us to find every way possible to end the war ASAP. If we had it we would be tempted to let the war drag on longer, killing more people.

Top Bottom