1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The World of Tamriel

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by Le Sage, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

By Yali and Le Sage

This mod lets you play Civilization 5 in the World of Tamriel as seen in the Elder Scrolls RPG Series. The map was created by Yali and I just added mod functions to it to keep it within the Middle Ages and also give the kingdoms the correct names and leader names. There will be more added to this in the future as well; like balancing, units, more suitable buildings and other shiny stuff, but as of right now it will supply you with a good game of Civilization 5, starting in the Ancient Era and ending in the Medieval.

Credits to Yali for the beautiful map, Le Sage for adding mod functions and Bethesda Softworks for their excellent RPG Series, The Elder Scrolls which served as inspiration. Credits also to Lemmy101 for his Indiestone Tech Tree Editor. And to the team behind Civilization 5, of course.

INSTALLATION AND PLAYING

Unzip the World of Tamriel files to your MODS folder in MyGames/Civ5. Activate the mod in the Mod Browser, then load the Tamriel Map into the game and be sure to click Load Scenario as well.

DOWNLOAD

Download from CivFanatics

SCREENSHOTS

2. jenks

jenks Prince

like the idea :) looking forward to seeing where you go with this!

3. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

god elder scrolls with civilization :O I'll never have enough time to playtest my own mods :(

4. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I see massive potential here :cool:.

5. mutant-enemy

mutant-enemy Warlord

I'm SO looking forward to testing this! :goodjob:

6. mihaifx

mihaifx Warlord

Yep, the only thing missing is troops that resemble orcs, elves and lizards (forgot their name). This is indeed a neat idea.

7. Stiefel

Stiefel Chieftain

So what is this? Just a regular game of CiV with a Tamriel-based map and a shorter tech tree?

How about putting up a real mod to take up space in our computers?

8. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Mihafix: Yes. They will be in here too, in the future. Right now, though, we don't have access to the proper unit graphics. Oh, and they are the Argonians.

Stiefel: If you don't want it to take space on your harddrive, you simply uninstall it or don't download it in the first place. The mod description is very clear on what this mod does. It's all pretty simple.

9. gonzozen

gonzozen Chieftain

Love Oblivion.. love civ.. this is awesome!

I look forward to a complete mod that has all the races and creatures. Oooh wouldn't oblivion gates be neat if the could pop like a barbarian encampments? Also when firaxis finally adds hotseat I'd love to see that in there as well.

Thanks for a great start.

10. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Yeah. Thanks. I've been thinking about the Oblviion Gates already; it would indeed be cool with swarms of Daedra pouring out too.

11. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

now if only we have units with different races like Dark Elves, Imperial, Orcs or other units, as Elder Scrolls lore tends to have somewhat of a united races. Has a new look to make it look just like The Elder Scrolls, and also have the Daedria, Zobmies, and other barbarian creatures that comes out of on dungeons, caves, and other area's instead of encampments.

12. XplorR

XplorR Chieftain

I like that you've kept civilization from progressing past medieval. As I too have played all the Elder Scroll games, I'm looking forward to your further conversion of this wonderful land. I know that any major conversions still require "DLL access".

But I'm wondering if I'm having a problem with the original and your version of the map. I can't find horses and I've only seen one source of iron ( a real necessity if you play the Imperials "Rome"), also there's only a few luxury resources available too.

Thanks for a great mod.

13. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I tried it out and played as the Roman faction. A few things I noticed.
    1. 'Rome' (and other factions) should see more territory. At the very least they should know what the territory looks like between their territory.
    2. Perhaps there should be a few starting improvements/units? Some of the larger factions get shafted because their empire is so spread out.
    3. Cyrodil is landlocked. Hence: No trade route bonus as trade routes are calculated from the capitol. A major problem.
    4. There needs to be more iron/horses. I don't recall even seeing any.
    5. There really isn't any happy resources around and there are far too many cows.
    6. The map should be smaller, those vast areas of forest or jungle or tundra don't add enough 'immersion' for the amount of processor usage they take up. I feel that there is simply too much space between the civs so war is never a viable method for expansion. As the Rome faction I could simply settle more land and only have to fight defensive wars against the Arabs.
    7. The mod feels too open. More civs/City states would be nice.
    8. Starting empires are too huge. I couldn't find of the Japanese cities when I was playing as Rome, but when I loaded them up, they were everywhere.

General mod comments:
    1. I understand this mod is still completly unfinished, but when you get around to adding custom units, it would be interesting to make it so units require certain buildings to further promote city specialization. Additionally, it has been my experiance with fantasy worlds is that most empires are made up of a few core cities with few and small cities between them. This could add to that effect.

I would be interested in helping out on this mod.

14. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Thanks, Ajidica, Darkedone and XploR for your comments. The map was made by Yali, but I'll get to updating it some, since I've noticed the same problems myself. In the Oblivion-game there's a bridge between Imperial City and the mainland, but I bet a land bridge would serve best in this mod. There also needs to be more resources, and I'll start adding them.

The mod isn't finished, as said, but will turn out great one day. This is also why it's not on the Mod Hub as yet. I wanted only the pros here at CivFanatics to try it out first.

15. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

A quick way to 'fix' the issue with the Empire not benefiting from trade routes is to put the city on a river. If trade routes work at all similarly to Civ4, it should work. You just need a really long road from the marsh city or build a new one.

Do you have any idea of the mod timeline? Is it starting in Tamriels 'Ancient' history or is it in their 'modern' age?

16. MindXX

MindXX Chieftain

Before judging someones work, how about trying it out and give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism before slamming it. Like the man says, if you don't want to DL it read the description first!

17. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Ajidica: I was planning on actually creating scenarios for each of the periods represented in the games Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion. I've played them all and am familiar with the timelines. Otherwise, The Elder Scrolls also has a very detailed history and creating new scenarios during different time periods will be no problem.

MindXX: Thank you for your support. It is hard to please everyone, and I'm not even trying, but as you say, the downloaders should at least read the mod descriptions first before even starting the download. It will make it all way easier on us all. ;)

18. globalempire

globalempire Chieftain

Looks pretty cool.

Ever thought about making a Fallout Mod

19. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

I must leave Fallout to someone else, since I've never played a single Fallout game myself. I'm waiting for Elder Scrolls 5, but they seem to be placing all their resources into that Fallout now, so the wait will unfortunately be long... :sad:

20. Krieger66

Krieger66 Lord of all things necro

nice idea, so are you thinking about adding the races from the game series?
    maybe you could use some of the skin textures from the game itself, that is if you don't already have an idea of what you'd like to do...

also this would be really cool with some monsters. Cliff racers live on to civ to annoy your settlers and workers;)