1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Worst Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by DylanAraki, Jan 27, 2012.

?

Worst Civ.

1. Egypt

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. India

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. China

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Babylonia

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Greece

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Persia or Arabia (pretty similar.)

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. Carthage

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. Rome

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Japan

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  10. Ethiopia

23 vote(s)
    20.0%
  11. Maya

14 vote(s)
    12.2%
  12. Vikings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Khmer

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  14. Spain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. France

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. England

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  17. Germany

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  18. Russia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Netherlands

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  20. Portugal

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  21. Inca

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  22. Aztecs

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  23. Mali

43 vote(s)
    37.4%
  24. Turkey

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  25. America

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. Neshalin

Neshalin Chieftain

Ethiopia for sure. Crappy land and boring gameplay. Even the game that I completed, covering all of Africa and some colonies, was no fun. Have to say that I haven't completed Mali, but at least you get rich. Fun, right?

Maya, on the other hand, is awesome. You get North America all to yourself! Longbows or crossbows can hold off the natives, with a little luck Europeans find your North America settlements first and get no conquerors, and America succumbs easily to a bunch of cannons and muskets. The wonder for UHV may be tricky, but much less so than Babylon or India.

2. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

Maya, not because the UHV is difficult (it is not), but because they are boring to play if you are going for the UHV. If you forget about the UHV and expand into Aztec lands, they are actually kind of interesting though. It is disappointing to have to choose between having fun and getting the UHV.

3. DylanAraki

DylanAraki Chieftain

Persia and Arabia both conquer similar areas and do religious things.

4. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Their environments are completely different, though. I personally like Persia more.

5. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

:agree:

6. ColonialFailer

ColonialFailer Chieftain

On original RFC Maya is AWESOME if you play pacifist expansion. I usually go Calendar => Code of Laws => Optics. I've played it only 3-4 times TBH and E V E R Y S I N G L E T I M E I have found the Europeans. Haven't played till the end but I've had always area from my Aztec vassal to Tucume and some parts of Caribbean. Me likey.

7. Heathcliff

Heathcliff Chieftain

I picked Ethiopia.
    First luck luck luck luck luck to found christianity.
    Then play the I hope i dont collaps because my stability suck for 1000 years.

Maya is great, i dont get how you can hate Maya. Great synergy between goals and barb invasion comes right on time when you think you can make it.

Mali is fun too, but dont care about first goal it's kinda bugged. Try to compete the last two. Thats enough.

Aztec is kinda boring too.

8. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

I enjoy Maya but I do it slightly different. My economy goes crummy when the Aztecs arrive because I lose some prime tiles. They live for 10 turns and then I kill the Aztecs - it also removes one of the conquerors events. Besides, Aztecs vassals foul up the diplomacy.

Ethiopia is dominating this poll, not surprising. I voted Ethiopia. The religion is one problem for me and the !@#$% Impis coming over the jungle is the other. I need a large army just to defend every tile on the border.

9. Thor Macklin

Thor Macklin Chieftain

Mali..I am bad enough at this game. Losing to barbarians is NOT something I enjoy enduring.

(BTW anyone have a strategy for winning with mali? I assume it involves not using the crummy starting spot)

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

It also involves hoping to flip War Elephants :lol:

11. Thor Macklin

Thor Macklin Chieftain

.....okay so I get a miracle start with WB what do I do? XD

EDIT: Someone delete this post. I don't know how but somehow it didn't accept this post until I reposted the next one

12. Thor Macklin

Thor Macklin Chieftain

How many do I need to convert (*coughWBcough*)? GIMME THE STRATEGY MAN!

Honestly I have only won a genuine victory with maya....thoroughly boring.

13. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

No particular strategy, I just found that one or two war elephants are quite helpful in defeating camel archers.

14. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

Here is a my strategy quide for Mali.

15. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Chieftain

Put them on hills, so they have a large visibility range. Then, use Slavery to whip infrastructure. Infrastructure = anything that means more money, or later on, but only then, stuff that is needed to work more cottages, for example health or happiness raising buildings. Use the first settler to settle north of the lake (Fresh Water bonus and a load of flood plains). Second settler should go north to found a city on the shore. It's citizens can't find enough food to survive so just whip a monument for some needed culture. You'll meet Isabella, give her some gold for Open Borders. Because the city is on the Mediterrenean Sea, you'll probably pick up Christianity, which gives contact to other European civs. From there on, it's just money expansion. More cottages, larger towns, after some time a city in Ghana and Carthage, and that's basically it. You don't need to research anything pas Sailing. It is important though to send some Great Merchants to Amsterdam. Use them right before the deadline, when Amsterdam is seriously large. If you happen to pick up some techs, choose wisely. Don't trade for money, only for Divine Right. With some luck you can unlock Guilds.

With this in mind the only goal to worry about is the first. Even the plague won't hurt so much since it probably won't reach to your capital and it's towns. You can even build some Warriors for happiness, or whatever you feel like. After 1400 AD this UHV isn't so interesting to be honest.

16. Thor Macklin

Thor Macklin Chieftain

I hate how stupid my strategy sounds compared to that XD

But thanks guys that's really helpful!

Honestly the maya are okay....actually beat them. But somehow I could NOT build a big enough army to kill the aztecs so the remainder of the game was stupid button mashing

17. rfcfanatic

rfcfanatic Mercantilist

I picked Mali. The first historical goal is complete nonsense. I just failed it with having over 3300 gold. It's based on blind luck. I can't even see how much gold AI civs have, even after I fail the goal and retire from the game!