The yearly "Apartheid Week" is upon us.

classical_hero

In whom I trust
Question 4 is completely irrelevant. It would have been nice if the author provided even a single source. This is why I don't like opinion pieces.

What do Christians have to do with it?

We should thank all those who are vehemently opposed to Apartheid Week for providing some badly needed publicity.

Link to video.

"...the UN took a strong stand against apartheid; and over the years, an international consensus was built, which helped to bring an end to this iniquitous system. But we know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians..." Nelson Mandela

I seriously hope nobody's trying to conclude anything about entire populations from facts about small, selected subsets of said populations.

That statement is so innocuous and arbitrary, I don't even know at whom it was directed or why.

Question 4 is completely irrelevant. It would have been nice if the author provided even a single source. This is why I don't like opinion pieces.

I seriously hope nobody's trying to conclude anything about entire populations from facts about small, selected subsets of said populations.

This.

There are Arab Christians in Israel.

I'm perfectly aware of that, but I'm rather sure people calling Israel an Apartheid state are referring to the muslim Palestinians and not to the Arab christians.

I'm perfectly aware of that, but I'm rather sure people calling Israel an Apartheid state are referring to the muslim Palestinians and not to the Arab christians.

They can't be. Some of their valedictorians are muslim.

Some of my best friends are black.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound condescending. I think the point though is that many of the discriminatory practices that critics point to negatively effect both Christian and Muslim Arabs.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound condescending. I think the point though is that many of the discriminatory practices that critics point to negatively effect both Christian and Muslim Arabs.

Israel's discriminatory practices are better publicised and visually more obvious because Israel has more "material" to practice it on and sure as hell doesn't mean that other countries are significantly more clean.

Doesn't mean that any other Western nation is less discriminatory towards ethnic minorities or foreigners, on the countrary. Pretty much every "developed country" and not just Israel has restrictions in place to discriminate against that had the bad luck of not being born there or being born to the wrong ethnic group. I don't think that say, Spain's treatment of African boatpeople is better than Israel's of Palestinians for any substantial purpose.

The undue focus on Israel just gives other countries the chance to be ignored for their practices.

What utter nonsense. Show me another supposedly modern democratic country where thousands are held without criminal charges or trial, including hundreds of children. Where those who are not even accused of largely imaginary crimes are victimized by incessant military invasions and attack by sophisticated gunships and fighter-bombers. Where their movement is highly restricted by numerous checkpoints. Where they are walled in like concentration camp victims. Where they have been the victims of ethnic cleansing for over 65 years without a country like the US coming to their aid.

Israel's discriminatory practices are better publicised and visually more obvious because Israel has more "material" to practice it on and sure as hell doesn't mean that other countries are significantly more clean.

Doesn't mean that any other Western nation is less discriminatory towards ethnic minorities or foreigners, on the countrary. Pretty much every "developed country" and not just Israel has restrictions in place to discriminate against that had the bad luck of not being born there or being born to the wrong ethnic group. I don't think that say, Spain's treatment of African boatpeople is better than Israel's of Palestinians for any substantial purpose.

The undue focus on Israel just gives other countries the chance to be ignored for their practices.

Do you think there is a difference between the rights of an illegal immigrant to a land and people whose family has been there since time immemorial? (Note, first part refers to African boat people not Jews.)

I'm glad you're on the side of righteousness, classical hero. Together, we will stand for the land of Israel, and crush all of her foes. :)

I'm glad you're on the side of righteousness, classical hero. Together, we will stand for the land of Israel, and crush all of her foes. :)

I think you should work to exterminate Persians first because according to Israel they have a long history of being virulently antisemitic and plotting another Holocaust with nukes.

That's funny, I haven't heard Israel say that. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom