Theater of War

Greeting everyone:)

@ I. Larkin
Excellent Welcome!!!
I knew you were doing something here 2K posts :)
please discuss your civ
Thanks. As I asked Iroquois.

@ Lanzelot
Blocking, I'm sure a rant in-game about a certain island using unfair means of blocking will bring them a good bit of future attention. I think if someone is determined enough to invade someone's island, they will get in.
But how? Can we build Army or, as usual, we need MGL?
@ All
When I first opened this game and started this thread, I included a note that read that the ARMY which needs 4 cities to support was reduced to 2 cities, I must have removed the note.
if I have this right that means each island can support 2 armies. I looked at the editor just now considering amphibious units and thought since this is a war loaded scenario I added amphibious to the army, which complements the nature of the game (get there and get one before blocking becomes a issue (a warrior army LoL). But because this doesn't solve the blocking issue I decided to add Fatal bombardment to the Galley. This does not eliminate blocking but it gives more of a chance to make landfall. Also these speed the game into a Theater of War hopefully giving it a higher impact and a short life.
I am against Fatal bombardment of Galleys. Game is unbalanced in a favour of seafaring civs:
it is
1) Extra gold on coastal tile
2) Cheap harbours
3) Extra movement point to ships.
With bombardment of Galleys unbalance will be even worth.
For balance we may remove seafaring civs.
I vote again for amphibious LB. Contrary to the Army it independent on MGL.
@ I. Larkin
notice the mini map on picture 2 in post 2, the map is real small with x-wrapping. the map itself is on post 1
a short test run showed no corruption I assume standard measurement would be used due to not having a map attached to the core of this scenario. I believe only the no unique unit aspect was the only change here.
What is LB?
As for a cost formula I am not sure, having no AIs in the game I hadn't considered the Difficulty level
I also did test ran. As I noticed that Netherlands here is far too strong. Tech price is Regent/2 and Phylo+ Map Making can be achieved by them at 18 turns. That make situation even more unbalanced.
Can we remove "free Tech" feature for Phylo?

Also I noticed that Islands are not equivalent. A some of them river goes along Wheat /Cow line at some across. Extra commerce on Wheat or Cow is a big advantage in long run. May be as a penalty Seafaring civs will have river across?

Will we wait 8 human players in the list to start?
How starting position will be arranged? Will we know where partner is?
Can we arrange that each team occupied 2 neighbouring conner and central Islands?
Can we gift City to partner or other? Say without unit teleportation, just for support?
Can we trade workers?

No, only in town center, not the coastal tiles.

As I noticed that Netherlands here is far too strong.
Well, you were not the only one... :mischief:
But hey, my captain, don't worry! You are much better than me, you will certainly "equalize" that little advantage.

Tech price is Regent/2 and Phylo+ Map Making can be achieved by them at 18 turns. That make situation even more unbalanced.
In fact, I would not take Map Making. I think an early MM is not necessarily an advantage. (Don't want to get too deep into strategy discussions here, so just take my word for it: I would pick something different, if I were first to Philo.)

May be as a penalty Seafaring civs will have river across?
That would be fine with my. But not if we remove Philo.

Lanzelot

Originally Posted by I. Larkin
May be as a penalty Seafaring civs will have river across?
That would be fine with my. But not if we remove Philo.

Lanzelot
Agree for both variants. But let's see what Eclipse4449 says.
Still disagree for fatal Galleys bobardment.

Thanks. As I asked Iroquois.

I am against Fatal bombardment of Galleys. Game is unbalanced in a favour of seafaring civs:
it is
2) Cheap harbours

I also did test ran. As I noticed that Netherlands here is far too strong. Tech price is Regent/2 and Phylo+ Map Making can be achieved by them at 18 turns. That make situation even more unbalanced.

Also I noticed that Islands are not equivalent. A some of them river goes along Wheat /Cow line at some across. Extra commerce on Wheat or Cow is a big advantage in long run. May be as a penalty Seafaring civs will have river across?

Can we arrange that each team occupied 2 neighbouring conner and central Islands?
Can we gift City to partner or other? Say without unit teleportation, just for support?
Can we trade workers?

Lots of good questions and comments here.

My thinking here was to cause early invasions, before any blocking would be a factor, If you win battles here you could get a MGL (needing only 2 cities to support it.

it is
2) Cheap harbours
This might be true but 1 vs 6 non-seafaring civs may decide that his navy building means less land units.
As for lethal bombardment, all would have this ability have this ability otherwise bombardment would only take a defending unit down to his last hit point thus the hill is still blocked. Lethal bombardment takes what 3 or 4 hits to kill a unit, he could rotate this unit out for healing but you still have a good chance of making landfall

I basic knowledge of the editor, I never worked in that detail.(not impossible I'm sure) I still think that puts a larger target on the seafaring civ.

I will correct this, thanks I didn't notice my error, this is wht I uploaded it, for this purpose, fix it before it starts

yes 8
This is a locked alliance/coalation win, and islands can be assigned to leaders.
This is something that still must be worked out
Can we trade workers?
If you can do this in a regular game, you can do it here

I vote we discuss the amphbious aspect further, I will go with what the majority favors, my idea was just my belief that fighting would start earlier than after your island is in full swing.

Updated post #1

Lots of good questions and comments here.Updated post #1

My thinking here was to cause early invasions, before any blocking would be a factor, If you win battles here you could get a MGL (needing only 2 cities to support it.
OK, but I can imagine that no MGL for many elite wins.
I vote again for amphibious LB. Contrary to the Army it is independent on MGL.

it is
2) Cheap harbours
Principal difference is that sefaring Civ may attack with Galley from FoW, whereas other must be at visible distance before Galley may strike next turn.
This might be true but 1 vs 6 non-seafaring civs may decide that his navy building means less land units.
As for lethal bombardment, all would have this ability have this ability otherwise bombardment would only take a defending unit down to his last hit point thus the hill is still blocked. Lethal bombardment takes what 3 or 4 hits to kill a unit, he could rotate this unit out for healing but you still have a good chance of making landfall

I basic knowledge of the editor, I never worked in that detail.(not impossible I'm sure)
It is easy. Just uncheck "Bonus Tech" square for Phylosophy in "Civilisation advances"

yes 8
This is a locked alliance/coalation win, and islands can be assigned to leaders.
Will we see our partner at F4 screen at the very begining?
Can we trade workers?
If you can do this in a regular game, you can do it here
So "free teleportation "allowed".
I vote we discuss the amphbious aspect further, I will go with what the majority favors, my idea was just my belief that fighting would start earlier than after your island is in full swing.
Hope so. But we may imagine that 2 teams fight vs third while backward fourth team sit aside and build "wall of warriors"

And why not giving amphibious ability to early units...

like swordsmen and /or Archer ?

And why not giving amphibious ability to early units...

like swordsmen and /or Archer ?
May be OK, may be not.
My feeling is that it is good to have some quiet periods, like before MM no defence at all, before Amphibius Units just light defence. Will see what other players say.

I really do not care too much about the conditions. I would be interested to get started soon. I agree about amphibious LB. No lethal bombing for galleys. If seafaring civs start in the centre of the island they'd lose their advantage, especially if they move their first settler towards the coast. Many turns wasted. In locked alliances, the allies have contact with each other immediately.

Ok, I will play. Sign me up with Bowsling. I'll be the Romans.

And welcome to you Cyc, I'll set you up

Ok I'll remove FB from galley and Amphibious from army.

It seem Amphibious LB is getting votes

Taking the bonus from Phylo feels wrong, If he has this advantage, and it is known which is his disadvantage. Then knowone can get this bonus

I have to redue a few of the islands to insure they are the same

Although I wanted to play Rome, I believe that, as it matches Germany's Militaristic trait, I should switch to France. Hopefully we still have time.

updated cyc to France
remade map
uploaded map to post #1

assigning player locations now

If you assume a player doesn't have your email address, pm them with it
I need to know your GMT
and then its a go!!!

Gmt -8

Thank you, sir.

Looked at new .biq map
No wheat /Cow at few islands...
Thanks! Thats why I uploaded it. also I missed a coal

I have everything but Knutis email/GMT
Calis, Lanzelot I know where you are but not sure if I have the gmt number right

I didn't upload the the map because players are now assigned, please trust me that I not share this info

all areas are exact including orientation

Top Bottom