thecrazyscotsman's Civilizations & City-States

thecrazyscot

Spiffy
foundry-title.png

Here is where I will release all of my future civilizations, leaders, and city-state packs.
Click on each image to go to the Steam Workshop.
Alternate downloads are here.

CIVILIZATION PACKS
jerusalem-mod-icon1.png

Seljuq_Steam_Thumbnail.jpg
With CIVITAS

CITY-STATE PACKS
pyu_pack_1.png

canaanite_pack_1.png

canaanite_pack_2.png

sri_lanka_pack_1.png

southamerica_steamicon.png

Last edited:
Did you use a vector or bitmap based editor to make the icons?
I used a vector based editor (Illustrator). After making the properly sized icons on a 1024x256 artboard - sized for 4 icons - I saved as a PNG (transparent background, and used the "Save for Web and Devices" option as it maintains the bounds of the artboard rather than clipping them to the dimensions of the icon - regular export to PNG does not), then opened it up in Gimp 2 and simply exported as DDS and resized. Actually the most tedious part is importing everything into the mod through the Asset Editor.

EDIT: city-states don't require the icons with the baked-in colors, so you only need to make the monochrome icons.

Not that city-states really need to be balanced since anybody can make use of them and you often steal them from each other, but if you *are* trying to balance these then I'd say the Mercantile CS is miles better than the others.

, then opened it up in Gimp 2 and simply exported as DDS and resized. Actually the most tedious part is importing everything into the mod through the Asset Editor.
It's easy to resize when you have 1 icon; what should I do with 3? I am 75% sure that the width is just multiplied by 3 (Atlas44 = H44, W132), but if it isn't that, please tell me!

I'm not too concerned with balance - I think it's good to have some city-states which are very good and others which are situational. That being said, I do want all the suzerain bonuses to be useful. For instance, Halin's bonus (+2 science to writings) would be useful for civs who've focused more on Theaters than Campuses, but is the bonus good enough to be worth going for? Beikthano's bonus (cities gain ranged combat and defense strength) is useful early in the game if you're getting invaded a lot, or could make it more difficult to take AI cities, but does it make a significant enough impact? I'm pretty happy with Maingmaw (rivers provide bonus yields to adjacent tiles) and Sri Ksetra (Holy Sites provide food = to adjacency bonus).

It's easy to resize when you have 1 icon; what should I do with 3? I am 75% sure that the width is just multiplied by 3 (Atlas44 = H44, W132), but if it isn't that, please tell me!
With three you should only have a single row, so when scaling the image in Gimp simply change the vertical dimension and the horizontal will automatically update in order to keep the relative size the same. For instance, if your original height is 256, just change the height to 44, hit tab, and the width will automatically change from 768 to 132.

EDIT: but yes, you are correct that the width should just be multiplied by 3 in this case.

Last edited:
Pyu City-State Pack v2 Update
  • Added YnAMP support for the Greatest Earth and Giant Earth Maps.
  • Pyu city-state buildings and units should now reflect the correct ethnicity and culture.
  • Pyu city-states now start with Ancient Walls for free when they are first founded to reflect their historical status as walled city-states.

I'm not too concerned with balance - I think it's good to have some city-states which are very good and others which are situational. That being said, I do want all the suzerain bonuses to be useful. For instance, Halin's bonus (+2 science to writings) would be useful for civs who've focused more on Theaters than Campuses, but is the bonus good enough to be worth going for? Beikthano's bonus (cities gain ranged combat and defense strength) is useful early in the game if you're getting invaded a lot, or could make it more difficult to take AI cities, but does it make a significant enough impact? I'm pretty happy with Maingmaw (rivers provide bonus yields to adjacent tiles) and Sri Ksetra (Holy Sites provide food = to adjacency bonus).

I think all are useful, and I agree that they don't need to be balanced at all. I was just pointing out Maingmaw is much better than the rest in case you cared. Certainly better than the current state of Toronto, the very rare usability of Mohenjo-Daro/Kandy/Seoul/Vilnius, the barely noticeable Lisbon/Jerusalem, or the oddly specific Preslav.

Do you think Akko looks like Beikthano? Like I can see the difference, but maybe the difference could be exaggerated?

Top Bottom