Theodore Roosovelt 100% confirmed

Teddy looks like a fat chipmunk with food in his cheeks.

The leader art is horrid. Looks more like a Civ Rev caricature.

What a pathetic direction they are taking with the visual style.

How did you manage to play cv before civ 5?

Has nothing to do with my opinion on this image....troll.

Has everything to do with it. It's not like Civ was a bastion of realism prior to V.

I (and it seems others) get if you don't like the visual style, but "pathetic"? That's a little excessive and insulting.

Has everything to do with it. It's not like Civ was a bastion of realism prior to V.

Try making any valid correlation what so ever between how terrible I think the Teddy leader art is, and the fact that I played previous civ games.

There is none.

They probably could have stood to make his cheeks a little less chubby. I don't care that they exaggerated it and I'll still enjoy the game, but they may have it exaggerated his cheeks by a bit too much. If you do a Google Image search for Teddy Roosevelt, you won't see any pictures with cheeks near that size. Oh well.

Try making any valid correlation what so ever between how terrible I think the Teddy leader art is, and the fact that I played previous civ games.

There is none.
Because you specifically mentioned the phrase "art direction", people are pointing out that previous games were similar stylised (if not moreso) compared to Civ VI's leader art.

Correlation done.

This Roosvelt has a fat face. I do not know why?

I think it's partly because the "camera" is at a low, close, unflattering angle. It's a interesting angle, but not one I'd want for my own portrait. :)

Because you specifically mentioned the phrase "art direction", people are pointing out that previous games were similar stylised (if not moreso) compared to Civ VI's leader art.

Correlation done.

correlation not done. (EDIT: just you making assumptions about my thoughts of the previous games art direction). I don't find the previous civ games leaders stylised to be cartoonish barely at all. the textures aren't as sharp and detailed (because they're outdated graphics) but at the time of every previous game released I've never felt caricature was the direction the design team was striving for.

Teddy's image is the worst I've ever seen in the series. Yes, the picture is detailed and sharp, but give him a beard and a red suit and he looks like a red cheeked jolly santa more so.

Just putting a painting behind Teddy instead of placing him in a scene seems kind of lazy. Is this a placeholder or are they going cheap on the leaderscreens too?

Just putting a painting behind Teddy instead of placing him in a scene seems kind of lazy. Is this a placeholder or are they going cheap on the leaderscreens too?

Would you rather have cooler leader screen backgrounds or more leaders and civs?

I dont think it looks that bad. Also, I took that screenshot to be the "loading" screen, could be wrong though.

Would you rather have cooler leader screen backgrounds or more leaders and civs?

I dont think it looks that bad. Also, I took that screenshot to be the "loading" screen, could be wrong though.

The gameplay videos show it is the actual leader screen background (for the time being, at least).

I think he looks fantastic.

Perhaps the pic on the first page is a bad angle, haha. Here are some more taken right from the videos:

It's a stylization of Teddy, so...

1) The mustache is going to be exaggerated since it's very iconic of Teddy. You make the mustache bigger, the lower part of the face must get bigger as well, or else the mustache becomes a whole other style of mustache. Not only was the mustache iconic, but that big, lovable grin of his as well.

2) The real teddy was somewhat of a burly guy and had "no neck", hence the "big cheeks" everybody keeps pointing out.

3) Another iconic part of Teddy's face are those little glasses. By exaggerating his lower half of his face, you also can exaggerate the smallness of his glasses.

Also, many caricatures of Teddy show the same big neck/cheeks and big smile/mustache.

I sure hope not. That would make America a very, very boring Civ until late in the game. They should have something unique about them before then or I'd never want to play as them.

In general, from the human player's perspective the only purpose for America in any Civ game is to force them as an opponent for a Hall of Fame game. They've always been designed as a civ whose abilities come online too late to matter, and are therefore outclassed by the alternatives.

correlation not done. (EDIT: just you making assumptions about my thoughts of the previous games art direction). I don't find the previous civ games leaders stylised to be cartoonish barely at all. the textures aren't as sharp and detailed (because they're outdated graphics) but at the time of every previous game released I've never felt caricature was the direction the design team was striving for.

Teddy's image is the worst I've ever seen in the series. Yes, the picture is detailed and sharp, but give him a beard and a red suit and he looks like a red cheeked jolly santa more so.
I didn't make any assumptions about your thoughts. I simply stated the fact that you mentioned the phrase "art direction", which is why people brought up the art direction of previous games (i.e. pre-CiV) being more in-keeping with what we've seen of Civ VI.

Please don't try to twist my words into something I didn't say, thanks.

To move onto you saying "I don't find the previous Civ. leaders stylised", tough luck, that's simply your opinion. Observably by art theory the Civilisation art direction for all games barring CiV was decidedly stylised to the point of being unrealistic. I mean, sure, that's my opinion. But it's like looking at the sky and deciding it blue. Civ IV and previous games had stylised leader portraits.

I think he looks fantastic.

Perhaps the pic on the first page is a bad angle, haha. Here are some more taken right from the videos:

Spoiler :

It's a stylization of Teddy, so...

1) The mustache is going to be exaggerated since it's very iconic of Teddy. You make the mustache bigger, the lower part of the face must get bigger as well, or else the mustache becomes a whole other style of mustache. Not only was the mustache iconic, but that big, lovable grin of his as well.

2) The real teddy was somewhat of a burly guy and had "no neck", hence the "big cheeks" everybody keeps pointing out.

3) Another iconic part of Teddy's face are those little glasses. By exaggerating his lower half of his face, you also can exaggerate the smallness of his glasses.

Also, many caricatures of Teddy show the same big neck/cheeks and big smile/mustache.
I think its great Teddy is finally making his appearance in civ, but he looks too fat (mostly in the face) somewhat reminds me of Taft, it also worth noting I hate caricatures but I don't care because Teddy made it in :king:.

Top Bottom