1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Theodore Roosovelt 100% confirmed

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Kerfuffle, May 25, 2016.

1. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

Don't know what the hassle is all about - Leader-portraits were always over the top. And anytime a new Civ comes out people are getting edgy because of the graphics... I don't remember one iteration where that has not been the case...
    And someone mentioned they wanted to resemble the Teddybear in TR! I like it. ;) Concerning the background I'm all for having resources doing more important parts of the game - I'm not bothered about it... The leader portraits and background didn't help CiV much, IMO, neither when it comes to immersion and feel, nor when it comes to diplo or "loving the game". TR is more "lovable" then any of the leaders from CiV I think.

2. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

In civ5 they weren't and I thought they were vastly superior over atrocities from previous civ games :p

I don't want rulers of great ancient empires and my sworn enemies to be lovable or sympathetic, I want them to be majestic, building serious atmosphere and looking like "I wanna kick your ass, Krajzen. I will burn down your civilisation." :p

No but seriously, while I'm fine with Civ6 general map's graphics and art style, I really despise its depiction of leaders so far (if others will be similar to Teddy caricature).

That's how he should look like...

3. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

but not as much fun, I think! :p I won't have a problem with a more cartoonic style for the leaders and I like it.

Like these? (couldn't find better quality pics, sorry)
    Spoiler :

Now c'mon: It's still a game and you won't really get the chills from Abe Lincoln or whomever declaring on you. I very much prefer them to be lovable and sympathetic! And cartoonish is a good approach there since that gets the developer out of the trap of never being close enough to creating "realistic leaderheads".

I'm completely fine if we both agree to disagree. :) It's a question of taste after all and thank god we're not all the same. I assume the other leaders will just be as cartoonish as Teddy from what I read about Cleo and from the small portrait of Qin in the gameplay footage.

:p

4. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

I'm sure the leaders will look fine, and at the end of the day, we all end up looking at the menus and skipping their screens.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree with Krajzen on this one. It's not only the cartoonish looks or the exagerated proportions, but the lack of background also hurts. I hope Monteczuma looks menacing all rage in his temple, not some sort of piñata-man with a pastel-coloured background, for example.

I will say this again: I'm sure the leaders will end up looking perfectly fine, some even great. This not a huge deal, but in my opinion a small step back from Civilization V, which did an amazing job on giving each leader a personality without having to resort to caricatures.

Please don't make Isabella, the founder of my country, a sexy curvy latin, pretty please.

5. Spartan_X

Spartan_X Chieftain

When modders start their work with this game, I feel like mods making the leaders look more realistic will be some of the first mods to appear ...

6. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

I'd be down for that. But given the sparse leader mods (fully animated) in civ5 I suspect it won't be that easy

7. m15a

m15a Emperor

I guess I don't really see it the same way.The way I see it, Civ VI TR placed in a real world context would have negative relations or war with Spain, resulting possibly in taking over Spain-occupied areas. They wouldn't liberate them necessarily since that's not specifically programmed in the AI's personality as far as we know and because the AI and player usually take over and keep cities. (City states in Civ V are an exception to that since you can liberate them for a bonus, but still that's not always done.) The civ would then inevitably be involved in diplomacy with other Asian civs.

8. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

9. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I think many of us would prefer a less cartoonish style, but that horse has left the stable for Civ VI, so I don't see any point in belaboring the issue.

It didn't reduce my enjoyment of Civ IV any.

10. Plus Ultra

Plus Ultra Conquistador

But It did increase your enjoyment of Civ V right? ;)

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Heh. Actually, the leader graphics in Civ V didn't really do anything for my enjoyment of the game, but I certainly did enjoy the more realistic unit graphics.

12. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

This is wonderful! :) BTW: I meant only the picture you chose; I love the choice of TR as leader in general!

13. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Any time my game plays out eerily similar to RL, I'm happy.

14. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Same here. So far, both Teddy and Qin Shi Huang look like buffoons I'm going to have more fun destroying than actually playing.

Qin looks like a toad and Teddy looks like he has jowls full of bees.

Not really sure why they decided to go with this style.

15. Liufeng

Liufeng A man of his time

16. Haig

Haig Deity

Yeah this is the part about Square Deal:
    Roosevelt championed his “Square Deal” domestic policy, comprised of three basic ideals: the conservation of natural resources, greater control over corporate plutocracy, and consumer protection.

Maybe something commerce-related ? America should anyway get an ability useful right from the start to compensate late era units.

17. King William I

King William I Prince

I'm thinking all governments will have an extra economic slot. Simple but potentially powerful

18. MacAurther

MacAurther Chieftain

This is precisely what I was thinking. That article seems like a fairly obvious hint.

If "Square Deal" is indeed TR's ability, I have hope that Corporations will be added to the game (Teddy framed the deal as an equal, or 'square,' protection of the environment, bolstering the consumer, and limitation of corporations), because I think they were poorly implemented in Civ IV and they have a lot of potential. While this is highly speculative (and deviates from the thread topic) if Corporations are in the game, I would furthermore wager that the new victory type is Economic in nature.

Summary:
    TR Article :c5moves: Square Deal :c5moves: Corporations :c5moves: Economic Victory
    (just my two cents)

19. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

If his UA would be related to corporations it would be another lategame ability though.

20. MacAurther

MacAurther Chieftain

True, but it might be implemented like England post Gods & Kings where there is an all game ability (+2 naval movement) coupled with a mid/late game ability (an extra spy). In this case, the mid/late game ability would have something to do with Corporations. On the other hand, if TR's ability is Square Deal, I would be disappointed if it did not address Corporations in some way. I think one of Teddy's most important legacies is his Trust-Busting, shifting the American Economy away from hard-core Laissez-Faire, and whoever wrote the aforementioned article made sure to emphasize that. Then again, I really want Corporations in the game, so maybe it's all my imagination. :)