Theodore Roosovelt 100% confirmed

Yeah, aircraft carrier task forces are the ultimate expression of the big stick philosophy.

Only to bully minor regional powers without air defenses these days.

They're still powerful symbolically but in any serious confrontation between modern industrialized nations, I think it's likely they would be among the first casualties.

They're still powerful symbolically but in any serious confrontation between modern industrialized nations, I think it's likely they would be among the first casualties.

In any Serious conflict between modern industrialized nations, we get MAD.

Aircraft carrier? Still important especially against regional rivals. Natirally in a total war situation many would be sunk but Moscow would also be a pile of glass. By your logic they would have been just as useless during the cold war. Which they were not.

America has no global rival. China is trying buy they lack geopolitical clout and and bases. In the south China Sea they've only managed to antagonize all their neighbors. Giving America significant influence. Hanoi is now in the American sphere. It's symbolic the USS Theodore Roosevelt is precisely the carrier Obama sent there

Hanoi is now in the American sphere.

That's quite a stretch and not even close to the reality of the situation.

Washington basically caved on their principle of only lifting the arms embargo on Vietnam if Hanoi agreed to human rights reforms.

They basically gave away their only leverage for pressuring the Vietnamese government, all in an effort to contain Chinese expansion and maintain control over the South China Sea region.

And Hanoi is still seeking peaceful resolution since their communist party would prefer maintaining positive relations with its Chinese counterpart.

Don't count on Vietnam's help in the event of a Sino-American confrontation in the Pacific.

That's quite a stretch and not even close to the reality of the situation.

Washington basically caved on their principle of only lifting the arms embargo on Vietnam if Hanoi agreed to human rights reforms.

They basically gave away their only leverage for pressuring the Vietnamese government, all in an effort to contain Chinese expansion and maintain control over the South China Sea region.

And Hanoi is still seeking peaceful resolution since their communist party would prefer maintaining positive relations with its Chinese counterpart.

Don't count on Vietnam's help in the event of a Sino-American confrontation in the Pacific.

Vietnam is a member of the proposed TTP
The list is a whos who of the regional powers America is allied with.

The US also just lifted arms embargo on Vietnam earlier this month.

In Civ 5 terms there is a proposed trade route to Hanoi with potential arms sales with Treaty Organization ideology & arsenal of democracy upgrade

Moderator Action: We seemed to have wondered way off topic for this thread which is TR in Civilization 6. If you wish to discuss current events, please do so in the off topic forum.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The American pacifism thing is weird, unless they like pacifist countries but aren't pacifist themselves or something

The American pacifism thing is weird, unless they like pacifist countries but aren't pacifist themselves or something

Big stick policy is not a pacifist policy in the sense that AMERICA rejects war. Unless I misunderstood you

It's called isolationism - you might have to look that up.

American occupation of the Philippines isn't very isolationist. Imo China or Japan had a more interesting isolationist history that isn't represented in Civ games as much

American occupation of the Philippines isn't very isolationist. Imo China or Japan had a more interesting isolationist history that isn't represented in Civ games as much

The agenda is semi-isolationist in the sense that it does not encourage Military expansion...past a certain point

The way I see this working...a successful TR AI player will

1. clear his continent of warmongers, either they declare on him, or they declare on someone else and get declared on by him

2. defend his continent against aggressors...Spain was considered to be an "aggressor" when the Maine blew up near a "Spanish city" ie Cuba (yes it wasn't, but it was considered to be), so TR had to defend by attacking Spain anywhere in the world ...Taking the Phillipines as a peace deal

Also, I'm quite sure that "Manifest Destiny" strive to control all/most of your home continent will be a possible secret Agenda (on Continent type maps at least)

It's not so much pacifism as setting up a regional protectorate hegemony.

If America has a UA, it will probably be similar to Civ V Greece or Siam.

I think concluding that America is a pacifist/isolationist civ is too big an extrapolation from the agenda. It'd be like concluding that Egypt is now a warmonger civ since it likes civs with bigger armies. That's only one of many possibilities.

The hidden agenda might define whether America is warmonger or pacifist, or it might happen randomly, or it might be based on the situation in the specific game, or it might be based on a "hidden" table of numbers like in past Civ games.

The agenda is semi-isolationist in the sense that it does not encourage Military expansion...past a certain point

The way I see this working...a successful TR AI player will

1. clear his continent of warmongers, either they declare on him, or they declare on someone else and get declared on by him

2. defend his continent against aggressors...Spain was considered to be an "aggressor" when the Maine blew up near a "Spanish city" ie Cuba (yes it wasn't, but it was considered to be), so TR had to defend by attacking Spain anywhere in the world ...Taking the Phillipines as a peace deal

Also, I'm quite sure that "Manifest Destiny" strive to control all/most of your home continent will be a possible secret Agenda (on Continent type maps at least)

Sounded like a convenient excuse to grab some territory. Yes, the Maine just happened to blow up and the Spanish were blamed. :crazyeye: This fabricated claim (along with the Lusistania and the Tonkin Gulf incident) sounds more like a big schtick policy. ;)

I think I have this figured out, it is not "Theodore Roosevelt" leading American in CiVI, it is actually John Alexander playing the role of "Teddy Brewster", because, as any American History major can tell you, Theodore hated to be called "Teddy". :crazyeye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE8kOv26BuQ

Top Bottom