There are six Civ VI DLCs for sale on Steam right now (not R & F). What are the best ones?

Lee Duane Fitzsimmons

Full-time Cat Lover
I don't want to buy them all at once. I want to get each one and savor it like a fine wine. Hopefully, this will keep me satisfied until Feb 8.

What would be your suggestions for the first one or two? :old:

Getting the Persia/Macedon and Khmer/Indonesia will net you the most civs and Wonders.

Expansions or DLC? Assuming just expansions my next two parags are about expansions, while the last is about Civ VI DLC.

I think Civ IV's Beyong the Sword was the best Civ expansion, in part because it just had so much content that deepened the game (with only occasional misfires). It also had the most creative scenarios in part due to community efforts for strong mods like Fall from Heaven (fantasy).

For Civ V, Brave New World was good (added tourism, interesting new civs and wonders, with many civs like the Shoshone, Austria, and Venice having cool memorable abilities other base game civs simply lacked).

For Civ VI DLC I'm fond of the Khmer/Indonesia pack, and not just because those civs are OP--their music is great and the civs are fun to play.

Expansions or DLC? Assuming just expansions my next two parags are about expansions, while the last is about Civ VI DLC.

I think Civ IV's Beyong the Sword was the best Civ expansion, in part because it just had so much content that deepened the game (with only occasional misfires). It also had the most creative scenarios in part due to community efforts for strong mods like Fall from Heaven (fantasy).

For Civ V, Brave New World was good (added tourism, interesting new civs and wonders, with many civs like the Shoshone, Austria, and Venice having cool memorable abilities other base game civs simply lacked).

For Civ VI DLC I'm fond of the Khmer/Indonesia pack, and not just because those civs are OP--their music is great and the civs are fun to play.

I think he is referring to the 6 DLC.

Deleted my previous post due to misunderstanding the thread:crazyeye:

Agreed with Eagle - Persia/Macedon and Khmer/Indonesia are solid and can "last longer".

Khmer/Indonesia is also less likely than the others DLC to come soon in a sale (though since they wait so long for a dlc on sale, they may all be suddenly on sale if they ever get on sale).

1. Khmer / Indonesia
2. Macedon / Persia
3. Nubia
4. Australia
5. Poland
6. Vikings DLC (didn't buy it myself so far, waiting for the sale that never seems to come).

would buy them in this order. Poland though is a nice civ, but scenario is probably more boring and it doesn't offer a new wonder or natural wonder.

Khmer/Indonesia in the lead with Persia/Macedon coming in at a close second.

I sound like an announcer at a horse race...:rotfl:

Khmer/Indonesia is also less likely than the others DLC to come soon in a sale (though since they wait so long for a dlc on sale, they may all be suddenly on sale if they ever get on sale).

1. Khmer / Indonesia
2. Macedon / Persia
3. Nubia
4. Australia
5. Poland
6. Vikings DLC (didn't buy it myself so far, waiting for the sale that never seems to come).

would buy them in this order. Poland though is a nice civ, but scenario is probably more boring and it doesn't offer a new wonder or natural wonder.

This is very close to my list. I would only switch your 1 and 2. And I'll probably never buy Vikings...

I would also switch Macedon/Persia with Khmer/Indonesia, but agree with the rest of Vahnstad's list.

Khmer/Indonesia both play massively differently from the vanilla civs, both of them focusing on populous cities and faith; Khmer supplements this with culture and Indonesia with military, while also having a heavy island-settling focus. Persia and Macedon are both military-focused, obviously Macedon moreso. I say Khmer/Indonesia over Persia/Macedon simply for the change in playstyle.

...and coming around the bend, we have the two lead contenders now neck and neck.

It appears as though we might have a photo finish as we get set for the last leg of this race... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

1. Indonesia / Khmer - I really like what they did with Indonesia as very different from the other Civs in the game.
  2. Macedon / Persia
  3. Australia - I would almost put this at #2, but 2 new Civ's beats 1 new Civ
  4. Nubia
  5. Poland
  6. Vikings Scenario (if I didn't already get this as part of my DDE, I probably wouldn't have bought it until a sale)

So I guess it's the choice between "GQ DLC" and "National Geographic DLC"

I guess it depends on what playstyle OP gravitates toward. Persia and Macedon encourage more conquests and are probably more "refined" for optimal strategies, whereas Khmer and Indonesia offer more interesting city-building with less conventional tactics.

But at least we can all agree on one thing - avoid Vikings DLC, period.

I disagree, @Sagax . The Vikings DLC has the best scenario, offers several excellent city states, and three natural wonders with cool bonuses. While that may not be worth a civ to you, it greatly surpasses the value of the WotAW DLC from V, which was generally considered acceptable. I personally got more value out of it so far than out of the Poland DLC (which perhaps has more to do with my dislike out their civ design in terms of gameplay than a problem with the civ itself). That may be subjctive, but I definitely wouldn't call it something to avoid, period- especially if someone can get a discount for it at some point.

Haven't bought it all myself yet but Macedon and Persia are hella fun to play, definitely worth the price. I like Australia too.

Buy them all. (thank me later for this great advice :) )

Top Bottom