there needs to be a longbow UU in this game :)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by VirusMonster, Apr 13, 2008.

?

Would you want a longbow replacement UU in BTS?

Poll closed Apr 20, 2008.
  1. Yes, I don't understand why none was implemented yet.

41.7%
  2. Yes, definitely....

14.3%
  3. Yes, but maybe no :)

44.0%
  1. VirusMonster

VirusMonster Quechua General

2. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

For the sake of completeness if nothing else that is an interesting idea. I think sitting bull might have been a good candidate.

3. Napalm102

Napalm102 Warlord

Lets see. It should have special ability of being immune to colateral damage. Should be fun taking on a civ that has it in middle ages. :lol:

4. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

Babylonian Bowmen should be a Longbow. Or Make the Mali UU have a Longbow with An extra +25% city defense or +50% defense versus melee.

5. Matjillam1

Matjillam1 Chieftain

Well, I've allways thought, that civ's should have several UU.

And I definately think Englang should have on. Like "Walish Longbowman", which could have some extra first strikes or something :)

6. glaivemaster

glaivemaster Prince

Either English or Celts would be good candidates I think. I wouldn't want to give it to England though, because I already love their redcoats

I only really say Celts because they're close to being Welsh, or British at least

7. lovetramy

lovetramy Warlord

come on longbow are imbalance already :D

8. Carboniferous

Carboniferous Warlord

How about 2 first strike chances and +25% v. mounted units, +25% v. melee - kind of like an early version of the Janissary (but without the +25% v. archery units - so as not to unbalance things too much). Also, not as promotions that carry over to upgraded units. This would make them a useful addition to a medieval army for field combat, but not able to take cities unaided. Alternatively, make them more powerful, but more expensive to reflect the extra training good longbowmen had to undertake. Of course, you don't want to make it impossible to capture cities they are defending.

9. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

historically only a couple of civilizations made use of a longbow. england was of course one and there are a few others but none used it as widely as it is used in game. the longbow should already be a unique unit.

10. Molybdeus

Molybdeus Prince

The longbow could be replaced by any sort of archery unit. See the Persian Immortals, who usually weren't even mounted.

I can't understand why the native americans did not get a longbow unit given their building and leader. They seem to be intentionally designed as an AI spoiler civ with almost nothing to interest a human player. A longbow equally suited to attacking would be awesome for the native americans and really fun to play with a massive number of promotions.

11. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Immortals of the Sassandid period were mounted units.

And I agree with tycoonist: longbows should be a UU. other civs should get a archer militia or something like that.....

12. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

A completely resourceless early-game army is lovely. Though a Totem-Pole enhanced Longbow UU for the Native Americans would be neat to see.

13. Bradlius

Bradlius Warlord

I like how the poll was worded. Not a whole lot of actual choice there - yes, yes, or yes :lol:
    Yeah, I always thought the Longbow should have been an English UU, but then again, I love Redcoats too. Maybe Elizabeth gets Longbows and Victoria gets Redcoats? ;)
    On a related note, I was surprised to find that the English didn't get a naval UU instead, given the usual emphasis placed on English naval superiority. In fact, there are no naval UU's at all, are there? German U-boats to replace Subs, English Ship of the Line to replace Frigates, Chinese Junk to replace Galley, etc..

14. BalbanesBeoulve

BalbanesBeoulve Emperor

Portugal and Netherlands have naval UUs.

15. Genv [FP]

Genv [FP] Website Moron

Am I the only one that hates it when longbowmen start appearing?

As a warmnoger:(

16. IronicBuddha

IronicBuddha Work in progress

Definitely not :lol:

17. PreLynMax

PreLynMax Your Lord and Master

I think it's the English that should've had a longbow UU in the game.

Edward I (Longshanks) of England grasped the value of this weapon and the English thereafter employed large contiguents of longbowmen in their Middle Age armies. All other sports were banned in Sundays in Britain to ensure that archers practiced. The longbow was used effectively in long-range barrages against massed troops, firing thin pointed arrows called bodkins that could peirce armor. Arrows were fired simultaneously by thousands of archers and aimed at a distant area rather than a specific target. Emeny troops caused casualties and reduced enemy morale. The most famous examples of this tactic were the great English victories at Crécy, Poitiers and Agincourt during the Hundred Years War. French knights recalled with horror the awful sound of thousands of arrows in the flght and the sky turned dark from thier shafts.

18. Shadowcrow

Shadowcrow Chieftain

Special English longbow UU:

2 Fingered Salute

+100% against the French
    +100% against cavalry

19. PreLynMax

PreLynMax Your Lord and Master

I think it should just be the ONE fingered salute... and I'm not talking about the pinky, ring, index fingers nor the thumb.

20. slaze

slaze Deity

The longbow, as Firaxis created it, is the most inaccurate unit in the game. It was created as a fantasy unit, something to give 'em at Feudalism, to transition away from the equally fantasy units of axemen and spearmen - the ancient units. If it were portrayed accurately, it would have been a strength 10 unit or something with mounted multipliers and considerable first strikes (and first strikes against mounted), needing similar requirements to macemen and/or pikemen.

Winston Churchill's words on the long-bow,

"The power of the long-bow and the skill of the bowmen had developed to a point where even the finest mail was no certain protection. At two hundred and fifty yards the arrow hail produced effects never reached again by infantry missles at such a range until the American civil war...He went to war often on a pony, but always with a considerable transport for his comfort and his arrows. He carried with him a heavy iron-pointed stake, which planted in the ground, afforded a deadly obstacle to charging horses. Behind this shelter a company of archers in open order could deliver a discharge of arrows so rapid, continuous, and penetrating as to annihilate the calvary attack. Moreover, in all skirmishing and patrolling the trained archer brought his man down at ranges which had never before been considered dangerous in the whole history of war."

After England's "domestic quarrals" (my quote), they first saw action against the French (and Genoese cross-bowmen) at Crecy, August 26, 1346.