There will be a third expansion and/or more DLC for Civ5?

What do you think?

• There will be more DLC's AND an expansion

Votes: 67 11.8%
  • There will be DLC's but not an expansion

Votes: 225 39.5%
  • There will be an expansion, but not DLC's

Votes: 51 9.0%
  • Neither DLC's nor expansion

Votes: 107 18.8%
  • You're asking this way too early, JaGarLo...

Votes: 119 20.9%

• Total voters
Apologies in advance if this and/or something similar has already been posted in this thread (didn't read through all of it), but I have just come across an excellent (in my opinion), if slightly lenghty post about why BNW has made a third expansion for Civ5 a necessity:

BNW is an awesome expansion that's brought oceans of depth to the Cultural and Diplomatic Victory games. The down side of this is that in contrast the Science and Domination conditions now seem pretty lack-lustre affairs. The attainment of the Science Victory has always felt a little abrupt to me, especially when a rival Civ makes it to Alpha Centauri first; causing an 8 hour game to end without any kind of fanfare. The Domination game too has suffered from a lack of depth in Civ5 with the A.I sometimes struggling to organise attacks in a satisfying manner, and now with addition of the second expansion the military road to victory seems like an especially flimsy one in comparison to its Cultural and Diplomatic alternatives. With this in mind I'd like to see a revision of the two aforemented victory conditions in a third and final expansion to Civ5 that presents itself as a naturally complementary counterpart to BNW by creating a deeper focus on the Science and Domination endgames.

For the Science game I'd like to see emerging real world technologies realised in the Future Era (plasma reactors, hydrogen fuel cells, spin-off nano tech, genetics and cybernetics for example) leading to a Science endgame that concentrates on setting up Moon and Mars bases as a staging post to mine the asteroid belt for Iridium; the essential resource required power an interstellar flight system. A system with limited colonization slots available to build off-world bases on a simple map of the solar system would be pretty cool; adding an element that parallels that of the World Congress for the Science Victory lover.

As for the military game, why not introduce the ability to make mini-stacks of five or six units when Great Generals appear; straddling the systems employed by the earlier Civ games and Civ5 vanilla with an interesting and workable compromise that avoids the dreaded stacks of death found in the latter iterations of the game and the chaotic problems created by unit saturation in this one. Ideally I'd like to see Great Generals and Admirals able to stack a few units into a campaign army or armada with incremental bonuses added with each new unit included. Perhaps the right combination of defensive/offensive/ranged/cavalry/siege and scout units could confer special attacks unique to each Civ too! Surely the A.I could handle attacks more shrewdly and with more economy with this system in place. Of course a revised Future Era tech system could also go hand in hand with a revised military game by offering techs that made attacking rival Civs more immediate and dynamic as the endgame approached.

To cut down on the monotony of constantly shuffling units and micro-managing the masses of cities that come en route to a Domination Victory I'd like to see a new "capitulation" mechanic added where if a number of enemy cities were pupetted along with the Capital the whole target Civ would capitulate and become a satilite state that would self manage, following broad edicts that could be set via an "imperial" sub menu; creating yet another parallel to the World Congress and new space colonization mechanisms.

Perhaps a counterpoint to the Archeology system could be added too, by allowing Workers to create super-structures in key geographical locations; things like the tunnels through mountains and under narrow sea channels, building ocean joining canals and suspension bridges, and in the Future Era: Nanofibre skyhooks to create space elevators, atmospheric processors to boost growth and terraformers to enhance production.

Add to these new systems a revison and streamlining of the now slightly clunky three tiered trade sytem (trade routes, roads, agreements) into something a little more coherent. Add a little transparency to the esoteric Diplomacy system by hinting at leaders' hidden motives (perhaps with the help of diplomats and leader bonuses.) Condense the various menus into something more easily digestable, for example by showing things like whether Wonders are available for construction in the Tech Tree and including more immediate and accessable Belief and Trade menus, prehaps through the addition of some nice new icons for the Religious and Ideological systems to illustrate a Civ's allegiences, resources and bonuses at a glance (oh, and they should really add some music when a Great Musicians appears, doh!)
A third expansion along these lines would provide a real uniformity to the various game elements in keeping with the groundbreaking new foundation that BNW has established for Civ5. If properly realised a third expansion certainly wouldn't feel like Firaxis were trying to stimulate a dried up teat, but rather like they were adding the final piece of the Civ5 jigsaw by finishing what they started with the launch of their second expansion.

While some of it might be a little too fancy, I really like the overall approach of the author's thoughts. The original (and unfortunately abandoned) thread can be found here on the steamcommunity forums.

Any thoughts? Quite close to what I would like to see - continuing a game after a sucessful space race with an alpha-centauri-style map where all Civs start again more or less from scratch.

If there is no expansion, then I am afraid they are going to reinvent the wheel for the 6th time over and another vanilla and more expansions... I don't know about this, but could the Civ series move to the next front? or are we going to get a clone of Civilization 5?

I don't know, but I can sure tell you that the game just doesn't feel finished yet. The lack of a long ranged modern unit... the future combat really needs to be tweaked just a bit more to get that modern war feel to it. Sure they introduced an Xcom unit, but seriously we need something more... modern...

Civ V Complete Edition will hit Steam and other outlets in a few weeks (check the Bison thread to see what I'm talking about). The details say 43 civs and it includes Conquest of the New World Deluxe scenario, which is what Bison was. Civ V will be officially done when the Complete Edition hits Steam.

Civ V Complete Edition will hit Steam and other outlets in a few weeks (check the Bison thread to see what I'm talking about). The details say 43 civs and it includes Conquest of the New World Deluxe scenario, which is what Bison was. Civ V will be officially done when the Complete Edition hits Steam.

Can you post a link to the thread?
I wasn't following Civ V news recently

In my humble opinion, they should make a new DLC and expansion. Making people satisfied again with Civ V,while they continue development on Civ 6 . A faster engine would improve the game much ! I play on a high end laptop ( Asus ROG 750JX 4144 ) but the game still (especially the AI) takes long .

Also a BIG improvement would be multiplayer option with MODS !!!

Beyond Earth was a big dissapointment to me, so they better make it up to me with an AWESOME Civ 6 (,doesnt matter if it takes another year !!) , and meanwhile i got my money burning in my pocket to spend it on another Civ V expansion and dlc !!

In my humble opinion, they should make a new DLC and expansion. Making people satisfied again with Civ V,while they continue development on Civ 6 . A faster engine would improve the game much ! I play on a high end laptop ( Asus ROG 750JX 4144 ) but the game still (especially the AI) takes long .

Also a BIG improvement would be multiplayer option with MODS !!!

Beyond Earth was a big dissapointment to me, so they better make it up to me with an AWESOME Civ 6 (,doesnt matter if it takes another year !!) , and meanwhile i got my money burning in my pocket to spend it on another Civ V expansion and dlc !!

There's no way you're going to get a new engine as part of an expansion or DLC. There is still content they could produce for a new expansion or DLC, but I doubt they'd do it with Starships coming out, likely content/patching for BE, and work on Civ 6.

Top Bottom