Thermal Death of the Universe

AdamCrock

Polish Pirate
Seriously I have been thinking about this a lot for a long time. How many Universes are there ? What is time ? Can it exist on it's own ? Is parallel Universe a thing ? What is probability than? When we choose something does it create a new Universe or was it already there ? Predetermination vs. Chance ? ....and finally (and on the topic) when it all comes to an end - when all temperature (energy) equals out and there is no possibility of particles moving anymore - do they (Universes converge and die ?) . This I hope will be a more or less a philosophical thread where You (The Best minds on the web - I mean it) Can have a say on matters that are so flabbergasting as to be considered "Magic".

First of all I would like to start on the nature of time. I imagine it not as a river but as a sphere. A balloon perhaps, and we are on the surface of that balloon. When time flows the balloon is drained of air and we move with that surface towards the center. There are an infinite number of points on a sphere, and I think that time itself is not sufficient, we also need space to describe where we are and time and space are our coordinates on that balloon, Does that makes sense ? When something heavy is on that surface it bends it - like a black hole - an heaviest object known to man. There when we are closer to that object the faster we move toward the center - the time flows faster for us and for those that are on the outskirts of that bend time "flows" slower. a minute for us, but years for those that are on the outskirt. Do I get this things correctly ? And what of the Thermal Death ? When all energy in our system - our Universe is drained , and no particles move does time itself dies too ? (nothing can measure it anymore, because nothing is moving) ?

I realize that I might be (and probably am) wrong but looking forward to be educated ^^

An inspiration for starting such a thread :

and of to the future to the "end"

Last edited:
How long?
To be honest these things always have fascinated me. Since I knew what (or rather thought I knew) what "universe" is .

I guess I mean, if heat death is (cmd-v) 1.7×10^106 years away, have your thoughts really been for so long?
1,700,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
vs age of universe
vs your age
vs time spent thinking about it
<36

I guess I couldn't help but think about what it means to think about something for a long time, when the time scale of that thing is so vastly foreverly infinite-seemingly bigger. Perhaps not the point, or perhaps, exactly the point.

I remember watching that end of the universe clip one night.

Unlikely we'll be around for even a trillioneth of a percent of that.

Maybe we can figure our a way to slow down time if we do manage to live close to the end of matter.

Could all be a simulation anyway

One of those interesting but essentially pointless questions. So, if the universe is expanding from some bang point (OM point to the Hindus) in all directions for some very very long time, would the point of origin "die" first?

One of those interesting but essentially pointless questions. So, if the universe is expanding from some bang point (OM point to the Hindus) in all directions for some very very long time, would the point of origin "die" first?

Yes, leading to the final real estate market run ever.

Sorry I'll miss it. :(

From what I've been thinking about it is that there's only one arguement I know about multiple universes, which is about when the waveform collapses there's a bunch of worlds that make out all the other ways it could collapse. Which means there's like infinite universes, but all basically the same. I've not been won over by this

I think there's only the one universe, expanding towards heat death, and that this is a sad thing

The good thing is we barely know anything rn so who knows what's gonna happen
I know people have been ridiculed for it in the past, but I think now really that in physics and astronomy not much is left to discover, and it's mostly more precise measurements left lol

well tbh like it's mostly gonna go to weird edge cases of things with more and more complex formulas

I could be wrong, but this is my opinions

thanks for listening to lohrensfool

I know people have been ridiculed for it in the past, but I think now really that in physics and astronomy not much is left to discover, and it's mostly more precise measurements left lol
We still don't know what dark matter is or what's inside a black hole. Why we would think we understand everything already?

didn't say everything lol but yea you're right

I feel that figuring out what that is won't lead to anywhere else, but again what do I know who's "studied" it for 8 years (no joke not much I suck at it)

I do sort of get the vibe multiple universe theories are mostly wishful thinking

There is no center of the big bang. Hard to explain, but everything was just closer, not closer relative to some external view.

Space is being inserted into existing space

Yeah the whole string theory is pretty bonkers to me. One infinite universe is sufficient for me.

There is no center of the big bang. Hard to explain, but everything was just closer, not closer relative to some external view.

Space is being inserted into existing space
So the expanding universe is not actually moving away?

So the expanding universe is not actually moving away?

There is a certain density in which gravity keeps things together, but everything is just getting further apart because space is being inserted in between the quantum foam of space

Edit: a centre implies a finite size. As of right now, we have no reason to believe the universe is a finite size. Some of the math would be sexier if it wasn't. Sometimes physics gives us sexy math. Sometimes it teases us with it.

Last edited:
Yeah, remember when guys in the XIXth century were worried that the next generations would have nothing to discover in sciences :p

Top Bottom