1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

These huge military gaps surely need to be addressed?...

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by MrBlobby, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

I woulf suggest a cog or hulk after trireme. Cogs came on the scene in early medieval tumes. A Kogge might make a decent 2nd UU for Netherlands.

2. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Or they could have a primitive boat (maybe raft) before the trireme that disbands when the raft goes out of range.

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions.

4. Ortega

Ortega Chieftain

agree, you can replace the a spear to a musketand later to gun while keeping the units gained battle expirience. but replacing a wooden ship with a steel one?
    doesnt it require building this new steel ship? give me a break.

5. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

I've found Lancers useful for taking out barbarians when my army is off pillaging elsewhere. I usually don't upgrade from Pikes until there's a need though. The AI is so pitiful at conquest that I've never needed anti-tank guns, but I imagine they would be useful if the AI somehow managed to mount a tank offensive. :p

It is rather inconsistent though.

Upgrades by unit, over the eras:

Warrior - 8
    Archer - 6
    Horseman - 6
    Spearman - 4
    Catapult - 4
    Trireme - 3
    Galleas - 2

Clearly, naval units get the shaft. There are long periods where they cannot be effectively used for city attack before the next upgrade. Not only that, but there are no ranged naval units at all until the late Medieval except for Byzantium's UU. This wasn't how it worked in Vanilla. I think they should have added Galleas at Optics, upgraded (coastal-only) triremes at Compass to a new unit, and allowed them to upgrade to privateers, making Caravels a unit that must be built instead. Or something like that... that tech path doesn't seem to get as much love as the pangaea techs. :p

6. Vandal Thorne

Vandal Thorne Warlord

As has been pointed out. The complete version of this game will soon be released so these issues are only likely to be addressed in various mods.

Now, with regards to Civ VI, one can hope that some thought goes into how military units are modeled. Things I hope for:

1) No more upgrading to new units.
    2) Military buildings give you the option to purchase certain promotions.
    3) Military units arranged according to role, e.g.:

Spearmen and Swordsmen are Heavy Infantry designed to pin other units in place or to make shock attacks respectively. Archers are Light Infantry designed to support allied HI and harass enemy HI. Cavalry (light and heavy) are designed to out flank or cut through the enemy and have shock (HC), e.g., Chariots, and support (LC), e.g., Horsemen, roles. Siege weapons like the Catapult are designed to reduce fortifications and are not hugely useful against infantry or cavalry. Fortifications are designed to negate both Infantry and Cavalry. So hopefully thinking along those lines will go into the design of Civ VI's war engine.

7. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

Time is not so constrained in Marathon mode, one reason I consider it superior to the default.