1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

They are billions

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by sherbz, Dec 14, 2017.

1. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Anyone picked this up? Its currently in BETA. The basic premise is that you are on a planet infested with zombies and you have to help the colonists survive. Im having a great time. Its a bit like banished and mixes in a fair amount of tower defence in there as well. And its super difficult. My first 3 tries i made it to:

12 days
    24 days
    54 days

But there is something quite hilarious in watching your carefully crafted city get laid to waste by a horde of zombies. It is very well made

2. PhroX

PhroX Chieftain

I'm not usually keen on Early Access (or whatever they call it) games, but I picked this up after watching a couple of YouTube LPs that made it look pretty good, and I'm having a lot of fun so far. My best run was my third try and I got to about 70 days on 100% difficulty, but after a couple more goes and not getting close to that again, I'm gonna turn the settings down a bit (probably more time with the standard number of zombies - I think I can still unlock the second map with that).

I think the game is best summed up by there being an achievement for killing 100 million zombies. There are so many of the damn things, even without upping the population. You kill thousands, and they keep coming. And you die. But I keep wanting to try again....

3. civvver

civvver Warlord

I did notice it on steam but seems like it would get boring after 3-4 hours. Is there a campaign mode?

4. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

There will be. They are currently making it. Honestly the survival mode is fun enough for my money. I cant wait for the campaign. It will be like a bonus. I was a bit like you to begin with. I thought it might be a bit too arcade-y. But after watching a few LP's of it i thought it might be up my street. And i wasnt disappointed. Its a weird mix between AOE, banished, settlers and any sort of tower defence game. But it works exceedingly well. And there is so much variety.

I have not made it as far as day 70. But i did watch a LP of someone on day 93. And holy hell! I get the name of the game now. Thats what i like about the game. Its a real challenge from start to finish, and it manages to achieve that sense of fun when you lose, which is refreshing for an RTS. A bit like the old sim city when you spent hours crafting your city only for some ufo to come and nuke it to pieces within a minute. The difficulty is very even. When you play most strategy games, once you get to a certain point you have basically won (im looking at you Civ). Not here! Here you are just as likely to die in the 10th wave as you are the 1st. Or at least thats how it seems. Its a bit like the dark souls of RTS i guess.

At the moment theres no story - its just survival mode. But if you want an entertaining game thats rather compelling in the RTS genre i would highly recommend. I think the sign of a good game is when you go away and think outside of playtime "how can i approach this better". And thats what this game does.

Not that i have got there, but they need to sort out the frame rate issues at the end. It looks like choppy waters. About to dive into my 4th attempt (not counting the other times when a lone infected got in and poisoned my whole civilian population - when that happens you are basically screwed). Having a blast so far.

5. PhroX

PhroX Chieftain

Well, turning down the difficulty seems to have helped - I've won my first game of this, with a score of 15.5k at 75% difficulty. Even then, there were some pretty hairy moments, not least of which was the final attack. While parts of my defenses held up very well, there was one part of the map where there was only one chokepoint between the edge - where the zombies appear - and...well, pretty much everything that mattered: 40 odd houses, half a dozen quarries, several mills, my soldier center, some farms. Oh, and my command center. By the end, all my walls blocking the chokepoint were down, and my last Executor (top level tower) in that area and every unit I could throw into the breach just about held them off. Thank god for Thanatos. Those rockets are amazing.

As for the longevity of the game, I've put in 9 hours so far - this completed game took me 4 of them - and I can see myself putting in at least the same again even if nothing new gets added. Which is decent for a £15 game, and given that there's plenty more stuff to come - both extra features for the survival mode and the story campaign - I think it's gonna be money well spent. I'd be reluctant to recommend it as is if it cost in the £30-40 range (as I've no idea how good the campaign will be), but it doesn't, so go for it.

6. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

I think I'm having so much fun losing I may well just keep at the 100% figure . Winning in this game doesn't seem that important. Which is so refreshing for a game industry that's used to spoon feeding people.

7. PhroX

PhroX Chieftain

I'm definitely going to turn the difficulty back up now I've beaten the easier setting, but I curious to see how much difference it made (having extra time certainly helps), and wanted to unlock the second map so I'd have a bit more variety when it came to failing

8. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

:lol:

9. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Journal entry - day 74

They broke through the outer defences. And all the new mining colony was totally wiped out. Thankfully the veteran snipers managed to swing round the back of the base and mop up the remnants of the infected horde that spawned on the perimeter. And thank god for shock towers. Yet it will only be another 10 days before they fall upon us again. Hopefully we will have the uber machine that is the titan by that point. But we must collect oil. We are short of all supplies. There is always something to build. The north remains hostile. the south is clear. Tomorrow is another day.

10. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

They seem to subscribe to the World War Z vision of zombies as an insect-like swarm.

11. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

So my general observations on strategy are as follows:

Horde 1 - up to the first horde, spend this time scouting with your rangers. If you find any thin groups of infected, then send your soldier over to deal with them. Once you find a big horde, turn around and scout elsewhere. You are looking for choking points where you can easily build walls (ideally). As for builds in your base, focus on tents, food and wood (ideally 3 decent saw mills). And expand your territory with tesla towers up to the choke points you have identified. Pick up a stone quarry when you have excess wood. Personally then i would try and get a warehouse. Increasing your resource caps is really useful. Then get a barracks. Then an iron quarry. Then finally a wood workshop. In amongst this you should be securing your borders with wooden walls. Once you have the wood, double these up and build 1 wooden tower to cover each of them. For troops, if you are really struggling for space, build rangers. Other than that build soldiers. You want at least 1 soldier in each tower regardless. By the time of the first horde you should have completed most if not all of the above. When you know where the horde is hitting, move your excess rangers to shore up defences.

Horde 2 - Repair after horde 1. And then you need the wood workshop ASAP. Research order should be either farms or cottages first, then either market or sniper, then you can pick up the rest at a more leisurely pace. Good idea to get stakes though before horde 2. Dont bother with ballistas just yet. They are over kill a bit and quite expensive (IMO). Mainly during this phase you will be upgrading all your tents to cottages, building farms, and doing some espionage with your rangers. Leave base and dart into hordes and then back. You are looking for areas with fewer infected in than others. STAY AWAY FROM TOWERS OF INFECTED. Then train as many snipers as you possibly can. You want at least 10 before the next horde. When the horde is about to hit, place stakes where they will probably hit, line your snipers up either in towers or behind walls, and kill them all.

Horde 3 - You should now have an idea where you want to expand. Go out with your snipers, press "A" to attack, and click somewhere ahead of them for an aggressive attack. They will advance to that location and kill any infected they come in range of. Use your rangers behind to mop up stragglers. As your snipers advance, build tesla towers as you go. Then seal off your new territory. Buildings wise, you should really have researched and built the stone workshop before horde 3 drops. When it does, upgrade rthe front row of your wooden walls and maybe even drop a ballista or two. Ideally your snipers should come home to help out.

Horde 4 - consolidate your new territory. You will be pushed for stone here. So prioritise building quarries. Stone walls, houses, power plants and most other things will eat in to your reserves. Consider building additional warehouses. In the new area ideally you should have a decent spot for some houses, another market place and a bank. Build cottages to save on stone. You can upgrade them later. Meanwhile, keep scouting and pushing out your snipers. You want to clear as much territory as possible. The hordes here start to get big. You will start to NEED static defences. And stone walls are a must. At least on the outer section.

Horde 5 - you need a foundry now. Build one, keep expanding like in horde 3 period. And keep upgrading. If you start running into large numbers of spitters with your snipers, pull back and wait for either lucifers or titans.

Horde 6+ - Follow the same process as before. Ideally by the final wave you should have an additional section on each side to act as a buffer for your core sector. Titans are great at clearing infected villages and they yield large amounts of loot. Spam lots of ballistas and if theres a real bottleneck shock towers and lots of walls are great.#

Final horde - You should have every angle of your base covered. Split your forces into the four sections and wait for the final horde. If ou can afford it put lucifers in really cramped bottlenecks. They will die but they take a lot of infected with them. When it drops try to slow them down as much as possible by making liberal use of the pause key and walls. If you lose a section dont panic. Bulldoze everything and fall back to your next tier of defences and fortify. And divert troops to the breached area.

12. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

I started my 4th game last night after getting too close to one of the (un)dead towns. The zeds must track by scent or something. They followed my rangers a long way. I wonder if it's something like The Walking Dead, where the walkers will just keep shambling in the direction they started going if they lose sight of you? If so, I probably retreated directly away, back towards my town, instead of laterally, and then changed direction once they were out sight. The next time I approach a horde, I'll have to try leading them in a different direction and see what happens.

Also, I can't decide how I feel about snipers. Picking off one hungry at a time is something a couple of Rangers can do if they're in a tower, and the Rangers have more utility for scouting and for running across town to reinforce against a horde.

13. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Im finding snipers a far superior way to kill massive hordes than rangers. Rangers are good if you are really boxed in and/or close to an infected town, or you have rather thin groups close by. However, i tend to find that thin hordes can be cleared by your single soldier if you are careful, and the really big ones take too long with rangers. 12-15 snipers will draw them in (because of noise) and then slice them to ribbons. They only struggle against chubbies (400 HP means 4 sniper shots - most others go down in 1). But you dont really see many of them that early. And once you have teched more useful clearence tools like the titans, there is still a use for snipers as you can stick them in towers and increase their range. So you can sit them just behind your front lines and they can pot shot things way more useful than rangers can. And with the high priority setting this can mean that they shoot and kill harpies before they climb walls and spitters before they do too much damage rather than waste their bullets on basic infected (which are best controlled by massive AOE stuff like ballistas, shock towers or lucifers).

I think you will find that its noise that attracts the infected. And in the case of towns its noise, proximity and i believe colony size. Best to stay at least 10 tiles away for fear of awakening them. And you're right. You can kite zombies off in a particular direction. Usually this is most useful towards your defensive positions. And soldiers attracting the hordes is actually useful rather than a weakness. They suck at offence because of their range though. But 3 soldiers and a sniper can repel most hordes and practically render all mini hordes impotent.

14. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

So after a brief holiday hiatus, i have returned to my 5th attempt. I generally find that every attempt i make it is better than the last. This is the latest version. Right now i have finished expanding. I dont see any value in going any further. I have my choke points identified, everything is walled off, and everything is covered by double walls and at least 3 ballistas. I have 5 titans and 15 Thanatos's. My observations on advanced mid and later game strategy are now:

- Dont build power plants. Providing you have been diligent in expanding your territory like i have in the screen shot above, you should have plenty of room for mills. And they are better than power plants as they do not cost stone and wood. The excess here can be sold as gold. Currently i have 1 power plant feeding my economy and the rest are advanced mills.

- Dont build shock towers. Yes its true, they do have a nice AOE. And they are even better in small choke points. But honestly Thanatos's are better, have better range, do the same job (AOE), and are mobile. So that makes them a better investment. They are slow though. Ideally you want 20 before final horde at the very least - one for each section.

- Once you get to day 70, the infected outside become nasty. Not sure whether this is due to spawns or what. But my team of 20 snipers just got a beating from a horde of spitters and harpies. Up until then they were totally owning the entire map including towns of doom. So i am retreating and will wait until i have 10 titans to clear the rest.

- Dont build Lucifers, save your oil for Thantos's and Titans.

- Even if you dont need the resources, build saw mills and quarries everywhere. This maximises your gold - you wont spend it all, but the excess goes into your treasure horde. And try to build at least 3 if not 4 or 5 warehouses. That extra storage capacity can really help, especially in a pinch.

- the strategy now is to finish clearing the map and then double double wall everything and stick stone towers everywhere, fill them with sniupers, and set to high priority target. The reason for this is that harpies and spitters can really ruin your day (ive now lost 2 final hordes due to those bastards). Spitters have a range of 4 i think. So double walls nullifies their attack. My plan is to build executors in the furthest tier and leave ballistas in the nearest tier. In the hope that the harpies and spitters will take time in knocking out the ballista, which are rather meaty, and give time to my executors to kill them off. Then my Thanatos's can mop up the rest.

In general i would say that in this game, if you have space, always build the simple version of stuff, not the advanced version (especially when you cannot afford the advanced stuff - like stone houses). You get way more bang for your buck. Save the upgrading until you have either run out of space and cant expand, or expanding becomes prohibitive to your ability to defend against hordes. Building tents instead of cottages or houses is totally ok. And dont be afraid to re jig your defences for the final horde. By that point, space matters little and defence means everything.

15. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Finally! 5th attempt i managed it. Surprisingly enough the final horde ended up being rather tame. Iron and money were big problems at the end. I had so many ballistas. And the price to upgrade to executors is expensive. But my economy was propped up y all the excess resources like stone and wood that i over produced. So even though i was running a deficit, i was still making money.

16. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

A really fun game, for a limited time.

Main complaint that I have is that you're mostly playing "against the rules of the game", by which I mean that the first few attempts you'll die because you didn't know what would happen. Once you've figured stuff out, it's rather easy to beat, as it's all about building up efficiently. The random layout of the map does pose a bit of a challenge that changes every game, but it usually doesn't make too much of a difference overall. To be played for longer, it needs more randomness imho.

17. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Yea, i know what you mean. Once you have nailed the economy there isnt that much more to it. Will be good once the campaign is up and running. And there are whispers of a co op mode as well, which ought to be rather fun.

18. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

This game is finally shuffling out of early access and the new and complete campaign is about to drop for those that are interested. Seems a bit long from what they are saying - 60 to 70 hours. Still, worth diving back in to have a look and see how things have ended up.

19. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Warlord

Thanks for the tip. I knew they were working on a campaign, but I kind of stopped paying attention. Here's the trailer.

20. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

I just failed the first mission :lol:

I cleared the map, had about 60 odd rangers and sat there twiddling my thumbs. Final wave came, no problem. Not with 60 rangers. Then the game reaches 25 days and i lost. Reason why? I forgot you had to get 400 colonists :hammer2: