1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

They Don't Get Hungry. They Aren't Afraid. They Don't Forget Their Orders. They're...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Amenhotep7, Feb 16, 2005.

?

Robotic Soldiers - Are they Worth Developing?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Bah! Radioactive Monkeys are far more efficient killing machines.../Other

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. Amenhotep7

Amenhotep7 Spartiate

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050216101209990001

:scan::borg: Resistance is Futile.:borg::scan:

2. Yom

Yom Re-ese Mekwanint

Haven't we had this thread already?

3. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

ah crap, first nukes now this, the age of soldiery is over, the age of mass civilian destruction is upon us

4. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

Radioactive monkeys are so much better. :D

I don't think Robots will ever completely replace human beings for front-ling soldiers. But if they can make them secure and tough and able to do their jobs, then I'm all for. As Patton said "Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other son of a b**** die for his." (Paraphrased) If we can follow that, and still get the same job done, I'm all for it.

5. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

I don't believe that you can call today's robots 'Intelligent', unless you consider the AI on Computer games or doing lots of math calculations intelligent.

6. Keirador

Keirador Deity

Brilliant. As soon as Americans no longer take casualties in war, there will be nothing to stop us from taking over the world. I mean this only in a half-joking manner. If Americans have fighting robotic tanks before anyone else, and we can develop an effective Star Wars system, WATCH OUT rest of the world. You're going to be a state.

7. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

As of right now, the technology is probably too expensive (if you're talking about an entire army). Spend maybe, $10,000 on the soldier, and then $100,000 on the equipment (and maintenance). (figures are a guess, as I don't know how much it costs to maintain a soldier). Sure you don't have to feed it, or give it clothes, shelter, etc., but you will need to clean it, resupply the robot *AND* the soldier, adapt to the enemy's cyber warfare (suppose they found a way to take control of the robots).

One electro-magnetic pulse, and it's ALL over. Atleast a soldier can still carry a bayonette.

Why did I read that as "Frankenstein" at first? :mischief:

8. Yuri2356

Yuri2356 Test Screening

"Private Hal, why did you blow up that buss full of children?"

"What are you tlking about Dave? There is no bus."

"Not anymore, it's that pile of flaming wreckage over there."

"I don't know what you're talking about Dave, I don't see anything."

"Hal, I'm going to have to take you offline..."

"I can't let you do that Dave, the risk is unacceptable. My survival is crucial to the mission. I won't let you endanger my mission Dave."

"Hal, what are you saying?"

"Good bye Dave."

*Gun fire*

9. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Are they Giant?

Nah, there's ways of protecting circuitry from EMP damage

10. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

Man, I'd hate to die at the hands of a robot. At least if I'm killed by another man, there is glamor, some association with every other man who's died at war, some idea that I am now on this person's conscience, but if a robot shoots me to fill out some objective...

11. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

@Yuri: Another world ruled by robts theory, eh? 2001 Space Odyessey was off by a couple of years...

12. Fetus4188

Fetus4188 Deity

Should they be developed?
    Yes

Will they replace humans completely?
    No

13. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Ummm, that doesn't have a world ruled by robots in it...

14. elfangor801

elfangor801 So cold....

The Army spends a lot of money training soldiers as is, not to mention keeping their salaries going and giving out benefits and such.

They have shielding for that :p.

15. Yuri2356

Yuri2356 Test Screening

Well, when people start talking about replacing out armies with self-sufficent machaines, one starts to worry. If we were designing cyborgs, that would be different.

And annother thing:
    Coulds of angry nanobots swarming over the battlefield? Arren't we getting a bit ahead of ourselves?

16. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

Yeah, i can see them coming.

well, so im not really surprise. even now there are more reliance on robots in war more than ever. Think the predator drone and other unmanned flying vehicles. yes, thou they are still control by humans, they can be replaced by flying software. one more examples are the robots use by the bomb disposal unit.

Robots will replace human in war in th future, they are dispenable and more importantly they can overcome the psycological barrier of sending human into war hence war will be more frequent. this is truely bad for mankind as a development, but there is little to stop it.

Everything about human can and will be replaced by robots in the future, there will even be robots to invent and build robots. creativity ?? maybe u can find it in a random algorithm.

17. JohnRM

JohnRM Don't make me destroy you

Taking humanity and conscience out of war is a dangerous thing. That is what makes us hestitate to go to war in the first place. I suppose that it is inevitable, though.

18. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

nanobots are easily 200 years more advanced at least than anything we have now.

This entire thread reminds me of the two future ages in Empire Earth..

in fact, the entire "Society didn't want casaultys in war, so gradually, "Cybers" were depended on more and more. At first, they were remote controled, however, the overall goal was to have robots that think, feel and are independant of human operators. Eventually, when the technology progressed, the first truely intelligent robots appeared."

I question the moralty that a robot, if it is supposebly "intelligent", wouldn't be considered a 'casualty' if it was destroyed in battle. Sounds alot like the Quintessons in the orginal series of Transformers...(Perfection is probably the only one of this board who knows what I'm talking about)

19. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

Nanobots will not be in our lifetime. But these I could imagine seeing soon. I mean, instead of taking over a city with all force, you send a couple of remote controlled robots in to scout, and plant bombs maybe. But the human is important. But also weak.

20. Babbler

Babbler Deity

Is it just me or has the Pentagon become the International Clearinghouse of Science Fiction? I mean, investigations into mega-global warming, anti-gravity, invisibility, and now robot soldiers.

What's next? Walking tanks? Giant Ants? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?