They Don't Get Hungry. They Aren't Afraid. They Don't Forget Their Orders. They're...

Robotic Soldiers - Are they Worth Developing?

• Yes

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Bah! Radioactive Monkeys are far more efficient killing machines.../Other

Votes: 10 17.5%

• Total voters
Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I question the moralty that a robot, if it is supposebly "intelligent", wouldn't be considered a 'casualty' if it was destroyed in battle. Sounds alot like the Quintessons in the orginal series of Transformers...(Perfection is probably the only one of this board who knows what I'm talking about)
Hey man I remember them from Transformers the Movie.

Edit:
Scuffer said:
I'm proposing that Britain defends itself against these robots.... with steep steps.
Didn't the Daleks (sp?) get around this with some kind of hoverdisk?

No. :p Daleks get up stairs by razing the building to the ground.

It can't be bargained with.
It can't be reasoned with.
It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear...
and it absolutely will not stop...
until you are dead.
:p

CrazyScientist said:
It can't be bargained with.
It can't be reasoned with.
It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear...
and it absolutely will not stop...
until you are dead.
:p

It was only a matter of time before someone quoted Terminator.

i think its great. the sooner the robot army comes about the better.
1. robots are cheaper in almost every respect then human soldiers. Only the "prototype" is more expensive then a human, but once invented robots are MANY times cheaper. the wonder of mass production coupled with "once its done being a soldier we dont need to pay it anything".

2. instead of the morality issues of "sending our boys to die for their country", the politicians will get the morality issues of "sending our robots to kill X foreigners". just takes a slight adjustment to the mindset of the general populace to make it just as big a deterent to war. right now we see headlines like "10 US soldiers killed, oh the HORROR!!!!" and then in the article it mentions "oh, ye, and 300 iraqi civilians got killed too". with a robot army, it will be "10 iraqi civilians killed by US robot army, oh the HORROR!!!!" and then mention "oh, ye, and 3 tonnes of US army were demolished."

only thing i think is stupid, is that they want to make the soldiers "human looking". humans are SUCH a stupid design, why would you purpously limit the army robot by making it "in the immage of its creator". stop wasting research time and money trying to get the robot to balance on two feet, and just give it 6, or better yet, a few wheels.

RoddyVR said:
only thing i think is stupid, is that they want to make the soldiers "human looking". humans are SUCH a stupid design, why would you purpously limit the army robot by making it "in the immage of its creator". stop wasting research time and money trying to get the robot to balance on two feet, and just give it 6, or better yet, a few wheels.

I don't know if I agree with you there. It a robot is supposed to fill the role of an infantryman, then the main place these things would probably operate would be human cities and human structures, which are specifically designed for humans to be able to move around in. A wheeled vehicle may have trouble with stairs as mentioned above. A multi-legged robo-spider of death might be too wide to deal with doors or narrow corridors. A human-shaped robot at least gives you the assurance that it can go anywhere a human could go, which lets you avoid putting real humans at risk.

What's it defence value and attack? I bet I can't beat a spear man... :dance:

allow me to be the first to say...

FRIGGIN AWESOMEGIOJEOPSRGOIJESGJEN!!!!111

our robot armies are l33t...soon all your bases are belong to us :cool:

The soldiers don't need new jobs, they each command a robot. Most of the development, bar command systems are already in place (Battlebots, Robot Wars, etc.). Autoloading systems are already inplace in some tanks, so they can be self commanding at least. Robots are better at recon and sniper work (they don't grow tired, but do need command). Robots are also quick, cheap and standardised (components). One problem of robots is the reqiremnet of electricity, but another think about them is that they can shut off if needed to conserve power.

MattII said:
The soldiers don't need new jobs, they each command a robot. Most of the development, bar command systems are already in place (Battlebots, Robot Wars, etc.)
:lol: I love the idea of the future armies of the world being made by a room full of bearded men in home-printed T shirts

Top Bottom