1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

They gotta fix cultural victories

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Mad Hab, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Apoll

Apoll Chieftain

To win a cultural victory keep your empire small (no more than 4 cities), liberate city states, burn the rest.

I'm currently trying to get a fast cultural victory with the Arabs for the Gauntlet, and on my first attempt I found it easy but boring.
    I could only build 3 cities (desert after that and city states blocking) with only one luxury resource, however nobody was a threat.

Don't bother about their wars (other than accepting the secrecy pacts), keep your borders close, and build NO TROOPS. Even gave my initial warrior to a city state halfway too.

Having no troops for about 3500 years is scary :D. However got out 5 mechanised infantry, when started the Utopia wonder, and with then cleared the continent by the time it finished. (Rushing it through with successive golden ages too).

2. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

Couldn't agree more. In Civ 4, I sometimes received a new religion or two in my cities just before the monasteries got obsolete, and said to myself "whoa, I think now I can pull a Cultural victory!". In Civ 5, there's no way you can do it unless you have planned it from the start...

Besides, all most cultural buildings do is to ruin your economy. I can't see someone who isn't aiming for a cultural victory ever building a museum or a broadcast tower anywhere (where in Civ 4, culture was useful in almost all your borderline cities).

Cheers!

Mad Hab

3. Malkaviel

Malkaviel Prince

well, if possible, you want to have an end projection. if I know I can "formulaicly" finish in 1990, I can play on a harder difficulty level, "allowing" 30-40 turns for military production.

and if you want to produce as little military as possible, (say 12-15 units on emperor) then you want to be japanese with bushido.

4. Sock Bramson

Sock Bramson Chieftain

Last post before I actually finish my game and have something/nothing to show for it.

In said game, my economy is rocking pretty hard despite my expansionism/cultural building spam combo. I've had no problem supporting culture AND happiness buildings in all of my cities. (to be fair, I've managed to keep the happiness side of the equation limited to colosseums/circuses. still, the econ is looking strong)

5. tokala

tokala Emperor

You might find it useful to focus one city on culture, some of those social policies can come in really handy for other victory conditions, too.

6. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

Yep, but I guess is cheaper to build monument and temples everywhere (since they come sooner, as well) than to spend the hammers (and then the gold) for museums and broadcast towers. I did it once and got around 12 social policies - which was more than enough...

Cheers!

Mad Hab

7. BlackSpy

BlackSpy Chieftain

You can always employ the cheesy exploit of not buying any advances when you have all your cities. Get them pumping out culture till you have a massive pile of culture points waiting to go shopping with.

Then give away or raze your excess cities, watch the policy price plumet but your cultural points remain intact and then go shopping.

Clearly against the spirit of the game though.

8. Rick80

Rick80 Chieftain

Also India is perfect for the "cultural victory", because with India it's better have less and more efficient city.

9. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

Idea: maybe a later (industrial?) 'civic' could be: lower the 30% extra cost of civics per city (to maybe 10%). That would allow a larger civ to win cultural, even if the player would have to beeline for that civic for this to work (still, it's better than not having a chance).

Cheers,

Mad Hab

10. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

In the HOF gaunlet 1, you should find some tips to winning cultural, and even how to exploit to get the win faster. Basically it is a challenge yes, because you have to concentrate on culture a lot to get enough to win, certainly with the time restriction in place. You can't "own" too many cities, so have to either 1. Don't expand at all, or 2. Never annex your conquered cities. Which is a bit harder to play with because an enemy may have 20 owned cities all pumping out units to eliminate you, while you will only have 1-3 prefereably annexed/owned cities to build any military for you, mean while all your gold per turn is spent maintaining the crazy buildings all your puppets build.
    It is indeed a nice victory condition, and "bigger is not neccesarily better" when it comes to culture.

11. Gurd

Gurd Chieftain

I got a cultural victory with Washington on a large Mediterranean map in the year 2030 (King difficulty). My startingposition was terrible with no rivers/fresh water, being cornered by the Aztecs and the Romans and all City States getting whacked by Ottomans, Romans and France (and possibly the Greek - I couldn't really check). My tech was incredibly bad - I had to ditch anything beyond Fertilizer to have a chance to make it. I went to war with Monty and puppeted a lot of his cities, only to lose a bunch of them to France later on (and gifting some to Caesar to get him into war with France with me). I built 6 cities myself and ended up with another 6 puppets. It wasn't until the end that my culture picked up, ramping up to around 750 per turn from 1910-1920 on (and picking up my last 5 policies in that time).

It was incredibly challenging, I pretty much relied on diplomacy to keep me alive, and when Napoleon decided he wanted my lands since my military was completely underwhelming compared to his (Foreign Legions vs. Minuteman, Artillery vs. Canons) I was really afraid I'd lose the game right there. Luckily, I only lost a few cities before Caesar's army tied Nappy up.

I suppose the point of the post is to show you don't really need a perfect game (or even a trait benefiting culture) to make it. Having a Cultural supercity really helped me (in my case, Washington had around 8 Great Artist Landmarks being worked near the end). I'd say it'd be even easier if I had the ability to save more than one City State, or even if I had rivers so I could grow faster and get my tech going a bit faster.

12. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

Love CiV, hate the state the cultural victory is in.
    When i play i usually go ahead and look at the cards i have been dealt with, once i explored enough build a few cities, gauged the opposition's tech, military strength etc etc... i decide what victory i want to pursue.

Usually it also depends on what leader i endup playing (I like choosing the random mode).

Now with the cultural victory as it is now, i need to go for it from turn 1, which really aint that much fun to me, i'd rather be able to choose for it later on, maybe the culture increment per city is too high (think it's +33% per city rightnow).

To me 25% sounds better and makes it possible for people to choose later?
    Just throwing out an idea here as i like the whole idea behind it, just the 33% seems a little too harsh rightnow.

13. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

It's been my experience that cultural victories aren't something you could decide last minute in either of the last two games. I also do like that it's something that a smaller civ has an easier time achieving. There are too many bigger is better things in this game. Culture is the victory condition of the little guy.

Last game I played, I tried to go for cultural victory and made the mistake of going to war and getting cities that weren't helping. Then I watched in horror as one Civ conquered everyone else in the game and declared war on me. At this point, cultural victory was a lost cause. So I instead beat him back, liberated those he conquered, and got a diplomatic victory. Options still exist, you just can't always get the victory you want.

14. DrakenKin

DrakenKin Prince

Not true,

1) Civics in this game are very powerful and no matter the victory condition you are after, it always helps to have the culture.
    2) Yes you can skip the broadcast towers if you are not going culture, probably get away with just temples, monasteries, and city-states. But generally if you are going domination you will have a ton of gold by the time you reach broadcast, so the maintenance should not bother you.

It all burns down to the choice between producing more troops, or skipping some turns to make culture and have civics that make your actual troops better. The usual swarm/rush army vs smaller/veteran style of play, which is good because the game lets you play to your style.

I won culture on king/huge map with ghandi in about 350-380 turns (standard speed), but i made many mistakes and you should be able to do it in 300 turns only. That leaves around 150-200 turns as a margin of error, in case you pick up too many cities or are doing something else besides culture. Or said differently, you have a 100 turns or so from starting a game to decide if you want to go culture or not (depending on the situation), and you will know that by turn 150 it is starting to get a bit late for that victory condition.

Also, I believe (correct me if i am wrong) the culture malus for adding an extra city is 15% and not 33%.

15. spiffamoo

spiffamoo Chieftain

When I read the thread title I thought this was about hoarding culture, then razing your own cities so that SP costs drop. They really should fix that. Like not allowing you to raze cities you founded.

Anyway, cultural victory is clearly designed for small empires. Big empires should go for science/domination. As others have mentioned, 4 cities seem to be the max. Maybe a slight nerf to SP increase would help a transition if you want to change plans. It would be hard to balance it though.

16. LegioCorvus

LegioCorvus Prince

France is deceptively bad for the cultural victory.

Well, not bad, but they are only stronger than other Civs for cultural victory at first glance. That +2 :culture: seems like a lot, but it only ends up being +8/+10 in the late game. It's really best for grabbing early policies, and allowing you to focus on building other buildings than cultural for new cities pre-Steam Power.

You'll find that for cultural victories, the cultural City States are really helpful, giving up to +20 :culture: per turn in the later eras. With Siam this is +30, and is easier to maintain with Greece, making them both great Civs to go for the cultural victory. Babylon is also good with it's Great Scientists to keep up in the tech race with less cities, and obviously Egypt has the good wonder bonus. That said, it is possible with any Civ, be it France or even Songhai.

The basic strategy is to grab Aristocracy early, followed by Mandate from Heaven, then save all your cultural points until Free Speech. This will make all your cultural purchases easier. Stonehenge & the Oracle are strong early wonders, then you want to aim for the Sistine Chapel. Lastly it's just Cristo Redentor and (rarely) the Sydney Opera House.

Make sure to build units to defend, puppet some cities if you got the military and a close/hostile neighbor, and concentrate on your economy & culture. You need the economy for the buildings, fielding your army, and keeping City States happy, which unfortunately means your tech rate will take a small hit - though do not ignore it.

That's all the advice I have for now. Off to work.

17. DarkMaster

DarkMaster Warlord

Cultural victories also required a lot of forethought in Civ IV, you couldn't just change course in the mid game. For a cultural victory you shouldn't go much past Liberalism.

Also, you can make large empires, just make sure it's made of puppet states. The only thing needing fixing in cultural victories right now is the fact that you can save all your culture, raze / give away all your cities and get 5 trees extremely cheap.

18. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

In my last game (Emperor difficulty), I played as Siam and took the approach of allying with pretty much every city state. I was heading for cultural victory the entire game, only ever settling 3 cities and only capturing one right near the end of the game. When I saw that Catherine only had one more spaceship part to build and I was a few more turns away from the final policy (and hence not even started on the utopia project yet), I switched plans and went for the Diplo victory.

It was pretty cheesy I suppose, but I think cultural victories in civ5 seem to be like in civ4 - you need to decide to go for one pretty much at the start of the game, but be prepared to change strategies if necessary.

19. Viperace

Viperace Warlord

The key to cultural victory in Civ V is to have few city - 5 at most. U can still conquer other city, but make them puppets or raze them.

In my last game (Emperor), I won using Egypt and have 5 core cities and lots of puppets city. Would have use 4 cities if I were to replay again. Egypt is basically too strong in grabbing Wonder. All those wonder generate lots of culture.

20. teks

teks Prince

I find that city states are invaluable for culture points, and the best way to make them allies is by liberating them. From a military standpoint I don't feel that being small hurts too much. Just specialize one city into being a super unit production center, and hold off the enemy at strategic positions. Fight most your battles over a city-states land, and if they get capured you will get a huge influence bonus for liberating them. I like taking honor for the bonus experience, so you can net yourself a ton of great generals. Citadels rock
    Even if I'm not going for a culture vistory I tend to puppet all the captured cities, or burn them. Penalties for annexing them are pretty steep.
    Because of the city state advantage I feel the greeks are good cultural contenders as well.