1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

They gotta fix cultural victories

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Mad Hab, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Hitman Zeus

Hitman Zeus Chieftain

Did you change your city default settings to production when you were building wonders? For in my game I posted earlier, I had to do this since every time I got out-teched in my German/Roman invasions and could not have a military thanks to no income.

2. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

3. rune42

rune42 Chieftain

Yea... no.

Spoiler :

I like to nickname them the azTECH civilization:

And this is 1 turn before the space victory:

4. Murky

Murky Deity

5. Novem

Novem Chieftain

I was pretty close to what you had. I think I hit my culture victory about 1980 with Alexander. I did it will just 3 cities and one puppet. I was around 640 culture per turn there at the end.

I had another one going which I thought was going to be a culture victory but I messed up the one city I was building the Utopia Project in and it ended up building slower than the one I had building the United Nations, so I ended up with a Diplomatic Victory instead :crazyeye:

6. Sock Bramson

Sock Bramson Chieftain

Well, I'm only a few more turns away from the end of my experiment with Arabia. Long story short, I'm not gonna get a cultural victory, but I'm surprisingly close. (especially considering the fact that I now have 16 cities, none of 'em puppets)

I'm going to be able to at least start a fifth tree, probably get the unlock and 1 policy into whatever I pick. I was making 360 or so purple points in 2000, but I'll be at 500+ a turn easy in a few more turns (getting broadcast towers in almost all of my cities). Hell, now that I think about it, I may even get 2 policies in the fifth tree once that happens.

Even without a cultural victory, this has been one of my most enjoyable games thus far. When I realized that I wasn't going to win culturally, I beefed up all other facets of my empire. (i.e. I now have a rockin' research rate and the world's strongest military/ economy) I've been loving it so much I purposefully decided NOT to go for a Domination or Space Race win so I can play until the bitter end. In the meantime, I'm keeping my military busy by razing my way through China, who WAS somewhat close to my score earlier :)P), and I'm keeping my civilians busy with some late-game colonization missions in Australia.

Moral of the story: larger empires CAN still win culturally with a bit of finagling. My guess is 10 cities would be the absolute max for such a feat and would cut it close. Has anyone tried saving up their culture until the Liberty tree is available? (i.e. getting discounts on the costs of all but 3 policies) I seem to remember some other thread asking this question, but I never read the answer. If that possible, I'm almost positive that 10 cities could make the cut.

7. dannythefool

dannythefool King

Save your culture for a few turns and then sell all your cities before buying your SPs. The cost will go down :p

8. nodule

nodule Chieftain

Guess what? You had to plan early to get a (meaningful) culture victory in civ iv too. It's not a victory condition to cruise into in the mid-late game.

9. mzprox

mzprox Prince

Just for one opinion, I think the policies' cost are fine as they are. I like when small kingdoms have some advantage. (I also think that puppet cities should also increase the cost, maybe not as much as annexed cities)

10. Markstar

Markstar Warlord

I totally agree with the OP.

The fun of any serious strategy game should be that there is more than one way of winning and optimally, all paths should be equally rewarding.

I really like the social policies, because they give tangible improvements and allow for different paths in themselves. However, as everybody agrees, you are basically forced to an extremely small empire, while other victory options are much easier to accomplish. This *may* be okay in for a single player (when you can see a culture victory as an extra challenge), but it does take away some depth, which becomes more obvious in MP games.

Wouldn't it be fun that a warmongering player could actually be losing because he disregarded his culture for too long? I'm not talking about the culture player barely holding his ground until he surprises the other one with his cultural victory, but I mean that culture in itself is so rewarding, that it can be a viable winning strategy in itself.

11. Twinkeltoe

Twinkeltoe Chieftain

Made this account cause I like the culteral victory and I just had one on prince difficulty with 8 or 10 enemies.

First off all, I'm a big noob in Civ games (haven't serieusly played one since colonization lol) therefore my strategy was far from perfect and was freeloading lol
    I played Arabian which probaly wasn't the best choics.
    I'd completed the following policies (don't laugh to hard :p): Tradition :p, Honor (lmao), Piety, Freedom and Order :p

I had 8 (large) cities (size 15,17,19,21,21,22,22 &27) in 2035 (approx 10 turns before the Utopia was complete.

What I did was basicly the following:
    In the beginning I went for tradition to get the +33% production bonus for wonders while I used my warrior to scout around (had a cultural ruine I think).
    I had NO army except for my 1 group of warriors for a very long time.
    Later I build 1 range unit and took honor to take down the barberians. (only 2 armies so it helps to know ahead if they are comming)
    I was focussing on gold and production (altough everything was set on automatic).
    I used the gold to build settlers to make city near pleaces with luxeries.
    I even went accros the world to ninja some ground near (what i later discovered) the biggest force in the world... (Egypt).

He was threathening me (armies already at the border) so I bribed him with everything I could...
    Since I was arab, I had more then enough oil (around 52) and just as in the real world, oil rules the world :D.
    I learned that giving people everything they want and even proposing to give oil and getting nothing back for it will stop them from killing you.

After getting the production and money upgrades at maxium I started to buy culture and research buildings.
    At the end, most cities had all the upgrades (except barracks and walls in most cases).

Due to my high money income (between 50-80 normal 150-180 golden age) I could buy a lot of upgrades to make time to build wonders.
    In the end I had a small problem with money (due to enormous shopping spree during last 20 something golden age and bribeing 3 cultural states to ally (and loosing 1 due to the damm Ghandi lol) but with some artifical golden ages I made it.

So, here ya have an unconventional way to make a culture victory :)

PS:
    English isn't my native tongue so be nice :D

12. silentknight111

silentknight111 Warlord

I just did a culture victory with Persia on Prince level. Ended the game around 2021. While it's very close to the end game of 2050, I think that's a good thing. I think all the victories should be balanced so that you're unlikely to achieve them before the very late game.

BTW, my strat with persia, besides build a lot of culture producing buildings, was to keep myself in golden age as much as possible. While this doesn't directly impact culture, it does impact gold and production. I was able to keep more culture producing city states under my control, and build culture buildings and wonders faster.

13. MasterDinadan

MasterDinadan Warlord

Mad Hab, I don't know if you've seen this thread, but the issues you raise in your post here are exactly the kind of things that Thalassicus and I are working to fix in this mod project:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=388762&page=3
    I've already uploaded some early version with just a small number of simple changes. You should give them a try and let me know how it feels for you.

14. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

The only way I've found to get a cultural victory in even a semi-reasonable amount of time is to play with all 28 city states and try to buy off all the cultural ones as early as possible. Siam helps here of course. Even then, you have to limit yourself to an extremely low number of cities.

It would be nice if the cultural penalty on Social Policies wasn't so harsh when it comes to owning more cities. Perhaps a 10-20% penalty instead of a 30% penalty might be fairer.