1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

They have posted system reqirements on apolyads.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Alistic, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Pushead

Pushead Chieftain

1.7 Gb on the harddrive? Wow. I wonder how much is reads off the CD/DVD then?

2. Lucky The Fox

Lucky The Fox Prince

Someone will come up with a solution for us with dated systems.

Now, this might be slightly off-topic. But has anyone here played San Andreas under 98 or ME? It didn't work too well for me and I'm not quite sure if it was because of the OS or just the usual lousiness of my computer.
    I just wouldn't want to find out that Civ IV runs for only 30 minutes before getting unplayable.

3. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Ok. I'm looking for a graphic card to replace my old Radeon - would a GeForce 6200 be enough? I know 6-6 and 6-8 are better, but they're also about twice the price (for a 6-6) in my area, and I don't have the money for the 6-6 brand (and am not much of a net buyer)

4. Varelse

Varelse Rabble Rouser

Excellent! I am well over even the reccomended specs! I might want to upgrade my memory though. I have the 512 reccommended but I get the feeling sometimes it might need more than that.

5. BlueBomberDude

BlueBomberDude Chieftain

Thanks - I panicked when I first saw that. Figured I'd be running out to buy a DVD drive.

6. darkdude

darkdude Warlord

I have a GeForce 6200 TurboCache 64 MB (supporting 256 MB) video card; that's for a laptop and it'll run the game just fine. For a desktop the video card is under 70 Euros here (about $80 or so), so that sounds quite reasonable to me.

7. The Person

The Person Deity +2

It'll be interesting to see if my laptop can run it. I don't know if the graphics card fits the minimum, and I have a little too little RAM for recommended. But my desktop certainly will run it. 1 gig of RAM is still a lot.

8. apatheist

apatheist Emperor

I'm surprised they need 64MB of graphics memory. That's a lot.

Tell her you need a new computer to work from home so you can help her with the baby.

There is a Radeon 7000 for the Mac that has T&L, but the PC version does not (according to the sources I have read). Look in the Windows Device Manager to see if there's a more specific part number (card manufacturer and model) and then search the Interweb for that to find out exactly. I was not previously aware of 64MB Radeon 7000 cards.

No, but if your machine has an always-on connection to the Internet without a hardware firewall, it'll get pwned before you get a chance to download SP2.

Dunno. You want it on the hard drive. Much better seek times and transfer rates, plus Windows can better cache accesses.

It wouldn't be a very good solution if the game ran like a pig. Your choice, though.

You've been given some pretty strong hints that it won't run for even that long in the hardware requirements.

9. dannyevilcat

dannyevilcat DESTROYER OF FURNITURE

Someone already has... the solution is to upgrade...

Seriously, you should be running out to buy one anyway.:twitch:

10. Alistic

Alistic Warlord

Maybe not though. Win2k and XP are similar. And 9x/me respectivly. But theres a huge difference between 9x/me and 2k/XP. As far as the core files go.

I highly doubt theres gonna be a workaround to install the game on 98/me.

11. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Well I have 64MB Radeon 9000.
    But I don't think it would be big problem.
    It's still above minimums. And only video ram is below recommended.

What exactly is affected by video ram anyway?
    Speed?

12. Janos

Janos Prince

That really isn't that much for a modern game.

13. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

I remmber Civ3 release days when my comp was slightly below minimum.

And played at such computer Civ3 for 2 years.
    As long as I didn't used maps bigger then normal and turned off music.

P.S.
    For reference that was 333MHz Celeron (below minimum 400Mhz), Intel 8MB video card (minimum), 64MB RAM (game sad that 32MB was minimum, but I knew if I didn't turned off music game would be uplayable due to swaping).

14. tmarcl

tmarcl Prince

Given that the box art says "PC CDROM", I think the US is ok.

http://www.take2games.com/index.php?p=games&title=civ4

Marc

15. tmarcl

tmarcl Prince

I want to know that, too. My wife's laptop meets all the other requirements, but I don't know what her video card is, or if it can even be upgraded. Fortunately, my desktop is within the minimums.

Marc

16. mdm

mdm Warlord

Good god @ DVD ROM drive. I hope that's a mistake for US version.

I don't want to have to scramble to get a new drive for next week... I WILL be playing Civ4 on Wednesday.

17. MarcAntiny

MarcAntiny Arrghh!

DVD drives are cheap enough now... go to NEWEGG.COM... you'll have it before the game arrives!

18. Underdawg

Underdawg King

Wow. Those specs arent that demanding for any modern computer (100 years old or younger.... err 2 years real life) but I am light years away from getting a new computer. As being only 15 broke as hell, and with athletics in the way, no way of getting a job until well into summer, I am afraid I will not be able to play Civ IV until that time when I can scrounge up the money to build my own computer. And even that might not happen as my parents do not exactly approve of getting a computer JUST to play games. So, if anyone has a good arguement that could surely woo my parents into letting me buy and build my own computer or even buy a new computer, please, come tell!

For reference, my computer is:
    500MHZ Intel Celeron :cool: l 256 SDRAM l 4MB Video RAM :cry: l 9.8GB HD l And I cannot even overclock this thing because its from emachines l 2000 Economic Model :lol:

19. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

Is the GeForce FX 5200 enough for the minimum?
    it a 64MB card, but i don't know where it is compare to minimum...

20. Stephan Hoyer

Stephan Hoyer Conquering Civ IV...

Grrr... I am extremely dissapointed by the 64MB video memory requirement, because my laptop has 32MB of video memory and the graphics card cannot be upgraded, so I thought I would be okay. This requirements seem inordinate to me -- if I can play half-life 2, shouldn't I be able to play civ?

I guess this means I'll have to install a friend's copy to see if it installs and is still playable before I buy it. But I really was looking forward to the pre-order edition off amazon.com... god damn it! I had a bad feeling that the lack of video memory of more than the minimum video memory (as reported previously, it was 32MB) was going to cause problems for me...