Things Civ 6 has actually Improved

For the OP's benefit, points 3 and 4 are new to Civ6, and point 5 only showed up in the expansions to Civ5 and the implementation in Civ6 is somewhat different than in Civ5 (mainly with the addition of religious combat). Points 1 and 2 were in Civ5 from the beginning.

These two right here are why I can't really go back to Civ5, despite the inevitable flaws in this still early version of Civ6 we have at the moment. I absolutely love the freedom to expand however much (or little, but much is usually better) I wish without the global happiness constraint, and the government system is the best such system in a Civ game.
Yep, I'm sorry to break the hearts of all the fanboys out there, but this civ is far better then civ 5 in it vanilla buggy state just because of this.
I totally get where the OP is coming from. I set my copy of civ 5 on fire not long after buying it. :p

They need to make adjacencies multiplicative in order to make us play the map.

Imagine, if each adjacency gave a 10% bonus instead of a +1 bonus. Suddenly we would care about where we place those IZs and commercial hubs. We would care a lot.

I think if you essentially added the adjacency more into the buildings, that would have a bigger effect. So say a campus was set up as follows:
-District has current adjacencies
-Library gives 1 science + 1/2 the adjacency bonus
-University gives 2 science + 1 * the adjacency bonus
-Research lab gives 3 science + 1.5* the adjacency bonus

Basically if you put a campus with no adjacency, then the max science you get from it is 6. If you put it in a +2 zone, then you can get 14. If it's in a +4 area, then you would get 22 from it if I did my math right.

I think if you essentially added the adjacency more into the buildings, that would have a bigger effect. So say a campus was set up as follows:
-District has current adjacencies
-Library gives 1 science + 1/2 the adjacency bonus
-University gives 2 science + 1 * the adjacency bonus
-Research lab gives 3 science + 1.5* the adjacency bonus

Basically if you put a campus with no adjacency, then the max science you get from it is 6. If you put it in a +2 zone, then you can get 14. If it's in a +4 area, then you would get 22 from it if I did my math right.
I'm not sure if that's enough to change my tactics. I build the buildings for the great general points more then anything right now. My population produces research on their own. The game's practically decided by the time the difference is noticeable.

I'm not sure if that's enough to change my tactics. I build the buildings for the great general points more then anything right now. My population produces research on their own. The game's practically decided by the time the difference is noticeable.

I'm also an advocate for reducing the science per pop. If it was dropped in half or more, then you'd need some campuses to generate science :)

Most of these ideas were implemented in Civ V, but that doesn't mean they weren't improved on in Civ VI. Government was an especially great change as you can implement you're own policies that fit your needs, but not as great as unstacked cities (atleast in my opinion), which added a whole new dynamic in cities and their specializations.

About the districts, I'm glad I finally get to see my Wonders in the map! I always found it strange how 18+ pop (which should be a HUGE city) could live in the same tile as half the wonders of the world.

If I were to pick one understated improvement that Civ 6 made over 5, it is that nukes are no longer considered units, but resource instead. In 5, you could find the enemy city that stationed nukes and nuke it first, eliminating the possibility of retaliation from that city. In 6, you cannot destroy the nuclear missiles per se. You can destroy the silos, but the possibility of M.A.D. is real, since any compatible unit can deploy the bombs.

About the districts, I'm glad I finally get to see my Wonders in the map! I always found it strange how 18+ pop (which should be a HUGE city) could live in the same tile as half the wonders of the world.

Half the Wonders of the World are the size of an average tower block.

Over Civ4? Hmm maybe the tile required to build wonders. Apart from that, nothing.

But I have a long list of things that are worse.

I like Districts, Civics, combat. Played Civ4&5 but it feels to me like there is now more of a difference between civilizations, which makes me more likely to "have another go".

In terms of what's worse... yeah, probably, whatever, not like I'd go back to Civ5 anyway!

Speaking as someone who loved Civ V, there are are a lot of things VI does that are even better:

Districts, eurekas, and the civics system were the main selling points of the new edition, and, while they certainly have balance and tuning issues, overall, they're great additions to the game.

Unique city states and great people are probably the most underrated improvements. They add a huge amount of variability from game to game, and they unlock new ways for civs to compete outside of military conflict.

A number of more minor mechanics (espionage, unit upgrade trees) are better executed than in past editions.

The addition of unique leader abilities has a lot of (sadly wasted) potential. If they were set up such that an advanced option could allow mixing and matching (Qin Shi Huang of France or Gorgo of the Aztec), it would make for a virtually limitless variety of unique factions.

Totally this, actually being able to build an empire again.
It's such a hard habit to get back into now. Years of building just 4 cities for tradition and then holding until I wanted to conquer places...or more often just going for a space race victory. It's weird to think that I should expand more than that now...but I used to spam settlers like crazy in Civ 4, so just a matter of getting back into habits.

The addition of unique leader abilities has a lot of (sadly wasted) potential. If they were set up such that an advanced option could allow mixing and matching (Qin Shi Huang of France or Gorgo of the Aztec), it would make for a virtually limitless variety of unique factions.

Civ 4 custom game setup had an option with "unrestricted leaders" where you could couple any leader with any civilization. I wouldn't be surprised if that got added to civ 6 too at some point. It's probably not going to be standard though, as it makes the game just that much harder to balance.

Civ 4 custom game setup had an option with "unrestricted leaders" where you could couple any leader with any civilization. I wouldn't be surprised if that got added to civ 6 too at some point. It's probably not going to be standard though, as it makes the game just that much harder to balance.

Totally agree that it should be an advanced/non-standard option. It would probably be difficult to implement as the game currently stands (the set up menu, color schemes, etc seem to treat Pericles' Greece and Gorgo's Greece as two different civs with overlapping abilities rather than a single civ with an interchangeable leader element), but it's at least plausible that they'll change things when the time comes for expansions.

There's plenty to dislike in 6 but it's a much more flexible game than 5. Interesting decisions to be made more often, it just feels much more organic.

I forgot one.

There is no Giant Death Robot or XCom squad in this game. Really terrible units I hated in Civ5.

Of course they got serious with the units for once, but then got silly with the quotes. Can't win them all I suppose. The quotes I can ignore though, so no biggie.

I forgot one.

There is no Giant Death Robot or XCom squad in this game. Really terrible units I hated in Civ5.

Of course they got serious with the units for once, but then got silly with the quotes. Can't win them all I suppose. The quotes I can ignore though, so no biggie.

To be fair I like the silly quotes. It's a part of the game where you can do something silly without having it impact gameplay.

Also, many silly quotes have a more serious alternative.

Speaking of quotes, has anyone noticed that one of the quotes from Flight is actually the English translation of the first verses of Sogno di Volare?

Top Bottom