1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Things in this game that annoy you to no end

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by BARBEERIAN, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Big Roy

Big Roy Chieftain

Hmmm.....

Don't have my machine with me - perhaps it was another leader, whoever it was it had a unique building that was the monument. Again missing the point.

My strategy doesn't always have to do with what is best for the leader either - again missing the point.

As far as reloading goes - if you are good enough to play this game without ever going - "damn if only I'd not missed that barbarian who had a 5% chance of knocking over my double promoted archer in my capital (because the screen jumps to another area of the map and then says end of turn) , yet miraculously does" , therefore up ending 2 hours of solid game play......then good on you, your a master and should probably load up the hall of fame mod and make your stand known to everyone.

2. Slip de Garcon

Slip de Garcon Warlord

Yes, but they shouldn't be building forts when they're on automated trade, and they shouldn't be building over existing improvements in any case if I've checked the appropriate box.

I'm aware of that, but occasionally you will meet a neighbour early on (usually Monty :rolleyes: ) who is annoyed with you and rolling the mouse over his name reveals no reason.

Yes, clearly. But if I launch a spaceship with a flight-time of 15 turns (i.e. one with all the bits), end my turn and watch the AI launch one afterwards, I think it's reasonable to conclude mine is going to arrive before theirs.

3. BalbanesBeoulve

BalbanesBeoulve Emperor

Some AIs are naturally friendly (Ghandi and Zara will almost always be pleased as soon as you meet them) and some are naturally unfriendly, like Montezuma or Isabella. They'll have invisible + or - diplo modifiers based on their personality.

4. neckface

neckface Warlord

Just wake them then issue the previous sleep/fortify order. I tested this in game, they wont lose their turn-based fortification bonus.

5. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

You don't even need to fortify to get the fortification bonus, just skipping the move works (sentry does too).

6. oranges

oranges Prince

I have various gripes, but the thing that irritates me the most is Isabella. This antipathy has developed to such a level that I will consciously choose a path that would aggravate her even when some kind of peaceful co-existence would be possible -- read, I do not yet have a state religion and open borders would mean her missionaries spreading hers. I prefer her irritated as hell and wiped out as a result.
    When she comes with her ridiculous demands and than pouts when faced with a NO, I want to slap her. Lady, I do not make a habit of giving in to demands of Shaka the psycho with his countless troops, why on earth would I yield to you. You'll destroy me with the missionaries? Silly cow....

7. szemek77

szemek77 Prince

AI cheating is the worst. How many times it happened that I need a huge
    army to get his city with 5-6 defenders, while AI comes with just couple
    of units and taking mine.....

And its abilities to produce tonnes of settlers, workers and defending units out of nowhere, and so fast.....

My last war with Egypt, for instance. No matter how much I destroyed Hatshepsut's empire, she was able to rebuild cities, produce workers and tonnes of grenadiers, english archers and other units to defend cities. I destroyed at least half of her cities, my armies were pillaging her infrstructure and she was still able to rebuild really fast. I mean, c'mon: it takes some time
    to get a settler, especially if you have burned ground around the city....

8. d_beauch

d_beauch Chieftain

in my last game, the same mine got destroyed 5 times in about 50 turn!!

after the 3rd time that the same mine is destroyed, you should get a message saying that your mine is built on a ancient indian burial groud and is haunted. then the game should ask you: "who you're gonna call??"
    -ghostbuster (+1 movie hit)
    -the old lady from poltergheist (+1:mad: in your city cause she's annoying)
    -Bruce Campbell (+100% great people points because after taking care of the haunting, he would have sex with all the womens in your city)

9. theKurgen

theKurgen Warlord

It's nothing to do with being good at the game. It's to do with not being a pathetic cheat. Do you reload when YOU win a 5% battle? I don't think so. Drop down a level if you can't win without crying and cheating :lol:

10. ranger101

ranger101 Chieftain

When my future mountainous military city founds a religion, as opposed to my river/flood plain city.

11. Arkatakor

Arkatakor King

Well met. The anti human bias in this game is so atrocious I am lacking words to describe it. It goes beyond cheating. Its disgusted me to the point of uninstalling the game.

Firaxis, you are clearly lacking imagination in making an AI who is challenging but not needing to cheat / human bash in order to be of any significant menace. And why the F*** can't AI's bully EACH OTHER and declare war on EACH OTHER as much as they do against the human player who is unwilling to give in to their ridiculous demands?

I hate the fact that when you are outeching your enemies neighbor like mad, who is "annoyed" at your enemy in question, you want to bribe him to attack your enemy and you mouse over his RED "declare war on X" option and it states "we would have nothing go gain" even though you can give him enough techs to TAKE HIM TO THE NEXT ERA. What the f*** is up with that?

Has the AI also lost the ability to wipe out entire nations as they did in Civ3? My Civ4 games were so boring and predictable I hardly ever remember playing past the industrial era.

12. Titus

Titus Armchair Great Person

- Automated workers who prefer to do their stuff as close to enemy borders as possible. :mad:

- Neverending requests by AIs to "stop trading with this" or "join the war against that" AI. I would accept this if the AIs gave EACH OTHER negative hits for "you refused to give us tribute/help us during war-time/etc.", but the only such thing I have ever recalled seeing is a "you stopped trading with us" hit when YOU actively tell someone to stop trading with another. This is VERY unfair.

13. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

^^Fully agree ,but that would require that there were more standalone AIs and not only one with diferent modifier matrix for each avatar..... because they know that a deal will fail or not, hence they don't do failed attempts.

14. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

AI contacting you and offering 30gold for "Gunpowder", there no point clicking care to negotiate as all their stuff is redded out, so the only option is no.

Insufficient strategic resources, resource clusters.

AI workboats cruising the world, what are they up to?

Spys, the system just doesn't work, I think the cost of missions needs to be modified by your relations.

15. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Oh yeah, I didn't realize this until yesterday, I was in a modern war so most of my workers are on "automated trade network" and somehow I lost more than half of them within a few turns because they were all, somehow, building roads and stuff right next to my border, wow.

Also, if you get contacted with a crappy deal like "10 gold for your gunpowder", well, at least you can refuse this and there won't be a negative point on you. They only rack up negative point if it's a unilateral demand for a gift or a tribute (give us this for nothing PLZ THNX).

16. Titus

Hmm, that's a good point, but maybe they should still be forced to try somehow?

Anyway, the constant requests are painful, especially when playing with as many AI's as possible. Some periods with lots of warfare all around, there are like three requests a turn on average!

17. Titus

Yes. This is in a way understandable when you are expanding through warfare, because you will hook up new resources that the AI has not properly connected. However, they always do this when I have VAST areas of un-railroaded cities, and they make no distinction to whether they are safe in the heartland of my empire, or just next to the border to my enemy. They don't stop what they are doing until an enemy ends his turn one square away - or destroys them. Also, why are workers "destroyed" when the enemy captures them?

Another thing is that when dragging the mouse to make a go-to line for units (non-combatants, no less), they often seem to choose to go nearer the border than necessary, when they could take a much safer route that is equally long. Again, no distinction between safe and unsafe.

18. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

It wouldn't be too bad if requests for help came from neighbouring civilizations... Especially in the mid game. Why on earth would someone from the other side of the world request my assistance in 1574 AD anyway? Maybe later in modern times but early it's kind of stupid.

19. Titus

Other annoying things - AIs inability to invade and conquer islands. In one game, the entire world declared war on Victoria (because she was an infidel), who had exactly one pathetic 2-pop city on a tundra island that wasn't even far away. Most remained at war with her for many, many turns, yet no-one ever invaded her. They have no idea how.

AIs declaring war when they are halfway around the globe. I do this too sometimes, to keep my far-away vassals busy, and for other reasons - but I never actually intend to do any offensive fighting when this happens. But the annoying thing is that the AIs, in all seriousness, actually drags an army all over the world just to attack me, then immediately accept peace when this fails (after I've had 20 or so turns to prepare for their "invasion"). The supply cost alone must greatly outweigh the benefit they could get from capturing a city that would kill them in maintenance and probably be indefensible anyway. I don't get it.

These things, I have heard, are improved in BTS, but I haven't noticed it.

20. Titus

Yes, and this is especially annoying since they have no qualms about asking YOU to join their war when you already "have enough on your hands right now"...