Things I've learned so far

DarkxL0rd

Warlord
1. Don't let Basium sit for any amount of time. he gets real annoying, real fast.

2. (on the same note) Heralds are disgusting on deity.

3. you will lose that battle you absolutely have to win. unless your defending for some reason.

4. Naming units that are highly XP'd makes the game more interesting and personal. "your Malekith defeated a hippus horse archer while defending" is just awesome.

5. if you are going for anything but a tower victory, Djinns are the way to go. mine were strength 39 toward the end of the game.

6. the Svaltafar are sexist, all the units are female except the really good ones. "excuse me mam, so you want to be phalanx, beastmaster, immortal, or crossbowman? I'm afraid the only positions we have open are warrior, hunter, assassin, champion or ranger."

7. "No settlers" is alot more fun than you might think.

Cultural victory is boring.

Exactly how did you get strength 39 djinns, and what size map was this on (and was it a mod that adds more mana nodes)?

Personally, I usually have won the game before I have 8 mana, unless I get real lucky on the unique features. On the other hand, I don't take vassals...

-Colin

I use the "Name an experienced unit" trick 'cause it amuses me when Spiderman kills a warg rider or Elf Buffy a vampire.

Some things I've learned:

1) Never bring a treant to a firefight. [They do light the night sky for our enemies]

2) Perfect plans aren't. [Strategies that ignore the map or enemies. Paging Custer]

3) There's nothing in FFH2 that can't be rationalized with a little mythos. [Plus tequila]

4) Irony's in short supply [Make no inane mock solemn comments that end up being taken seriously.]

The "casting maelstrom will declare war on another civilization" warning is not an error. Its not declaring war on the empire your already at war at.

its declaring war on the 4 empires that have stacks waiting to help you that are immediately turned against you.

Exactly how did you get strength 39 djinns, and what size map was this on (and was it a mod that adds more mana nodes)?

Personally, I usually have won the game before I have 8 mana, unless I get real lucky on the unique features. On the other hand, I don't take vassals...

-Colin

it was a standard map, i had built all the other towers and didn't want a tower win cuz i already had that in my trophy room. and I had accumulated around 23-24 mana nodes with no modding, world builder or vassals. and i never used dispel to change any nodes, i just kept getting new ones and also finished rites of oghma. it was around a 700 turn game

I thought Djinns only got +1 for each mana once. Meaning, 1 air mana or 3 air mana, the Djinn only gets +1. Did this change? Do they now have affinity for all mana types? :eek:

2. (on the same note) Heralds are disgusting on deity.

In my game in which I played as Basium, Heralds rocked. So yeah, I can see how strong they can be in the hands of Deity AI.

I've learned that I want to change something in the AI weights after every game.

At the moment, there is no way to add +1 strength if you control the mana, only +1 strength of a particular type, or +1 affinity for a particular type. I'm hoping to change that in my mod, but I haven't gotten working on that part yet.

-Colin

Some things I've learned.

- Disciple of Leaves with 2 XP can get March. He can then upgrade to Ranger/Beastmaster. Ranger/Beastmaster + March = Awesome.

- When you turn off all of the other victories except Time, remember to turn the other victories back on before you start your next game. :rolleyes:
Hitting Next Turn 250+ times = not fun.

Some things I've learned.

- Disciple of Leaves with 2 XP can get March. He can then upgrade to Ranger/Beastmaster. Ranger/Beastmaster + March = Awesome.
Yes!

It's a great, easy promo to boot! The Apprenticeship Civic, which I get early as the research is what I call "being along or near the path to Fellowship of the Leaves anyway" gives us those 2XPs.

Those tiny 2XPs new units start with can make a nice promo for other units too. I don't think too highly of Fauns but with Apprenticeship, they can appear with Level 2 status and be given Woodsmen II bonus, for a combined forest bonus of 60% (WI and WII).

I thought Djinns only got +1 for each mana once. Meaning, 1 air mana or 3 air mana, the Djinn only gets +1. Did this change? Do they now have affinity for all mana types? :eek:

I'm pretty sure they get +1 strength for each mana source you have, so yes, it's basically an affinity for all mana.

yeah i think that different necro mana i.e. chaos, entropy, gives an unholy bonus while death mana just gives a death bonus. i remember cause i had 5 death nodes, one entropy and one chaos and my djinn had +5 death and +2 unholy. along with 7 poison from nature, 2 from air, 4 from fire, and so on down the line. wish i had a screen shot but i saved over the game.

I just learned not to attack Stephanos with a Dwarven Shadow to soften him up before my hero takes him out.

"Oh, good! I can tell he didn't capture the unit because I can't see a unit under his tile!"

I forgot that Dwarven Shadows are only visible to me because I control them. When Stephanos takes over their tiny Dwarven brains, they're invisible to me too. I spent the next 20 turns losing every single Mud Golem I owned and every garrison unit on the Eastern side of my two empire choke points while I researched Feudalism as quickly as I could to build some Royal Guards that could actually protect my units and cities.

Hippus are pretty nice. I got a winning score of 106,000 with them once. Granted it was on Noble, but that score seems pretty high. It was on turn 126 for reference. Quick speed.

4. Naming units that are highly XP'd makes the game more interesting and personal. "your Malekith defeated a hippus horse archer while defending" is just awesome.
That sounds like a lot of fun! How do you rename a unit?

That sounds like a lot of fun! How do you rename a unit?

Click on the unit's description.

Crosspost.

Top Bottom