1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Things that bug you in Civ4

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by SamSniped, Dec 3, 2011.

1. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

What things bug you in Civ4?
    For example, I am bugged by the fact that the SEALs replace the Marines for the Americans, even though the Americans have the USMC, a highly trained marine force. Along with the fact that Monty is an ******* and Panzers are rather pointless.
    (Please note I might try to change a few of these things in the mod I am making).

2. Pisskop

Pisskop Goblin Axeman

Well, many good things were added to Civ V... if only they had meshed those good things into Civ IV. The grid system creates better continents, puppet states would (possibly) work in conjunction with vassels, and the concept of limited space in a tile (not so big stacks, nothing peeves me more than 40 horse archers taking my city defended by riflemen.) Maybe a penalty for overstacking. nothing big or innovative; simply things I and others have gleaned. For everything about Civ IV that irks you, it is an immersive and fairly well balanced game.

But, city-states in civ V definetly need some work... irksome little things, because you cannot raze them, and if you can capture their settler 1st turn they become workers.

---

city defended by rifleman. singular.

3. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Pisskop, do you really think a squad of riflemen could hold off such a large amount of horse archers IRL? No matter how advanced you are, an arrow through your body still hurts, and they would probably run out of ammunition.

4. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

<SlightlyOffTopicHistoryLesson>Why did the Continentals lose at Breeds' Hill in 1776? No ammo. The American Revolution could have turned out differently if they had enough ammo. Or if the Brits at Yorktown had enough supplies.</SlightlyOffTopicHistoryLesson>

5. Pisskop

Pisskop Goblin Axeman

Well, I never said I expected them to win, but when Brennus(who exists on the bottom of my large continent) decides to run his stack up to my border city that have just been emptied to provide for the war effort, DOW me, and then take the city the next turn, I do get peeved. This is just an example...

I do not expect invincibility, and accept what happens, but it irks me none-the-less. Why is it so bad to complain about the mega-stack the ai builds for you when your tech is superior (really, really superior)?

---
    IRL, the riflemen would fall well before the one in the game did. They had the advantage of accuracy and guns, fortifications and terrain, but a seige is still a seige.

6. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

I would have to say the diplomacy and its penalties are my biggest annoyances. I understand it is a game, but at a certain point, I just want more things to do with diplo. I want to force an enemy to stop warring against another civ or I will declare war, etc.

Overall, I want a diplo system that would make role-playing far more easy. (I should say a diplo system where I don't have to use the world-builder lol)

7. strijder20

Fitting, eh? Just had to add that picture.
    I can see why it 'irks' you, but check Brennus's power rating. Did he have lower or higher power rating than you?

8. Pisskop

Pisskop Goblin Axeman

Lol, While I do enjoy talking to one who can exhibits intellect and logic, this drives us off the path of his OP. I was commenting that maybe a "crowded" promotion as in the 'realism invictus mod' would be balancing and mildly refreshing.

And brennus was lower than me, but I was lower than the one I was warring.

9. ZeroM

ZeroM Warlord

The terrain generator..it spits out too much desert and mountain peak tiles for my taste. I know I can edit the tiles in World Builder, but that reveals everything on the map, and that sort of takes away the surprise of the game. Also, no knock on the SEALs, but I think the Mrines were better suited as the American UU too. They've been around much longer. What would be involved in changing them back to Marines?

10. strijder20

Yes, the promotions of Realism Invictus are something which is very much missing from this game. Think Agincourt.
    The terrain generator... it's not very earth-like. Way too few mountain ranges, deserts somewhat randomly distributed over the world, terrain far away from the sea should be hilly...

11. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

Cartoonish graphics
    No decent helicopters
    Unbreakable peace treaties
    No barricades
    No zone of control
    No resource colonies
    No airbases
    No outposts
    Unless playing Marathon, units are too expensive
    No ranged bombardment
    Artillery and Air strikes can't kill population or destroy buildings
    Suicide of siege units
    Awkward civic possibilities or impossibilities
    Nukes are rendered obsolete too fast and the AI can't use them
    No regicide
    No death by elimination
    No capture the princess
    Loading naval units inside of an harbor still costs movement points
    Predictable AI - Monty will always war, Izzy will always spam religion

Among other things.

Don't get me wrong, Civ4 is great and Civ3 also had a considerable amount of flaws, it's just that I had more fun playing Civ3 than I had playing Civ4.

12. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Can't plant trees :( it would be nice (in real world there are soooo much trees "farms"..)
    No "green energy"... Just like option late modern era.... to replace fosil energy..
    Unlimited size of resource tiles... would be soooo fun to get "limited resources" like in real world (huge, but still limited). And than also there could be "research missions" to find new deposits of something...
    Oh... and random event too that blows up oil platform and kill all fishes 20 tiles far for 100 turns :D

13. TheWilltoAct

TheWilltoAct I am observe

Why do I get the sense this thread will be more depressing than it's worth...?

14. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

How could I forget this one?

In Civ3 by the early Medieval era, once you got to Engineering, you could plant all you want. It was great, it certainly made a lot of tundra cities more useful.

15. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Yeah, actually it was basic production resource for far-north corrupted city... some 4-6 workers and than just plant/chop/plant/chop rest of the game :D

16. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

When the distant AI in sp is 2x or 3x bigger than you.

17. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

Broken AP
    Broken Random Events
    Sometimes-ridiculous RNG that allows :spear:
    Nukes can't destroy cities or kill a settler/worker/corp executive in one try
    Mapscripts that can allow an AI to get 20% of the land without war
    Ridiculous code that allows civs to not vassal because "they are doing fine on their own" when you have overwhelming military force+they have 2 tundra cities.

18. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

I am glad all but the first one isn't there. It would make Civ4 completely unplayable for me because then Neverwinter Nights with its characters tossing around fireballs and wailing at someone to cause him to die would be more realistic than Civ4.

Keep your bloody algoreasm out of my games!

Back to the topic: Refusing to go to war for someone incurs a PERMANENT diplo penalty with the twit. That is insanely wrong on so many levels.

EDIT: Grammar correction.

19. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

This.

20. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Sorry about my ideas.. Just was thinking what I miss... :D but yeah.. there is enough micromanagement already... and real world sucks in overall ... thats why we love CIV :D