1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Things that bug you in Civ4

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by SamSniped, Dec 3, 2011.

1. G-Max

G-Max Deity

- Being everyone's friend makes everyone hate you.

- Resource-revealer techs! This has always been my #1 biggest gripe about this game, and it's the reason why I never play on randomly generated maps. Copper and iron were known to ancient people long before we figured out metalworking. We knew of the existence of horses long before we could ride them. Petroleum, same deal. Uranium and aluminum are really the only resources that should stay hidden until the appropriate technology is discovered.

- Every unit has some sort of rock-paper-scissors nonsense attached to it, often with little or no reason. Why do axes and maces get +50% vs. melee units, but swords don't? Why do swords get +10% when attacking cities? And why the deuce are Machine Gunners classed as siege units if they can't even attack?!?

- Nonsensical promotion trees. Phalanxes and pikemen are much better suited for defense than offense, but get City Raider instead of City Garrison; Grenadiers are obviously meant to be primarily offensive units, but get CG instead of CR.

- Nonsensical tech trees... you'd think that they'd have gotten it right after 4 tries!

- Great technology is wasted on a deliberately cartoony style. What happened to the photographs and live-action video clips of Civ 2?

- TOO. MANY. DAMN. IMPROVEMENTS! We don't need cottages, windmills, watermills, workshops, forest preserves, echelon mirrors, thermal boreholes... well, you get the idea.

2. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

According to Civ4 logic, being Switzerland means that the world hates you.

I think this is fair because while the caveman didn't know a use for those lumpy hard bits, WE do. It allows for planning of city placements thousands of years before you can use the resource. I don't have a gripe about it.

This is a bit of a gripe, but a minor one for me. I am too used to RPS from other games, and the names of the units really doesn't mean as much to me as the actual mechanics of it. I have actually told players in DnD that "I don't care if you call your longsword the Ultimate Machine of Inevitable and Messy Doom. It still does 1d8 damage."

You think this is bad? Archers in FFH2 can't get the Woodsman promotion...!

That they took out the nuclear plant safety switch at Lasers really annoyed me. Previous editions made the nuke plants safe after a certain tech. Not in Civ4. Coupled with the fact that global warming is TIMED and not based on what you actually (i.e., there is NOTHING you can do to stop is and the effect is permanent), and that the result is ALWAYS bad (not like, say, making Greenland inhabitable like it was in history), I think some Rattus bastardus from the UN/IPCC got into the act when the game was being implemented.

Two words: Memory. Leaks.

:lol: Alpha Centauri for the win! Seriously, though, most of the new improvements (other than cottages) are strictly inferior to the original farms and mines. They all need a particular civic to make them competitive. That said, they do allow for more varieties of city placements (i.e., a city placed in nothing but grassland now potentially no longer suffers from shield depriviation). What I don't get is why we can't place windmills on flat lands. I mean, have the developers ever been to Holland??? I suspect another bit of interference from the algorish groupies.

In fact, Civ4 is a much bigger nod to the algorish religion than any of its predecessors. It is the single biggest disappointment for me, and the reason why I still play Civ3.

3. G-Max

G-Max Deity

Note: if you can't see the lumpy hard bits, you shouldn't be able to figure out how to melt them. Similarly, you shouldn't be able to try to ride invisible horses. As for the city-placement issues, I actually tried addressing those in my Earth29civs mod. Forges, for example, still gave you an engineer no matter what, but would only provide +25% hammers and +1 unhealthiness if you had access to coal. There was also some talk of oil being a prerequisite for some kind of "Greek fire"-based unit.

Woodsman? Archers don't need anything except City Garrison and Drill.

What do those have to do with photographs and video clips?

4. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

Haven't you ever given a Longbowman a Great General? It's fun. Although I prefer Guerilla 3 to that. However, in FFH2, it is important to note that archers do better than in BtS, and have different mechanics. It is extremely useful for the archers to have good promotions.

5. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

It's not because you are an all-knowing being which knows Copper can be used to create strong weapons that your people do. I mean, it's not because you can see something that there will be a use for it.

6. Colonel Mustard

Colonel Mustard Condiment Pirate Mouse

That's my second biggest gripe, I've been Sury's worst enemy while he's at war with someone else purely because of the insane number of join war requests.

My biggest gripe is air units being able to enter your territory even with closed borders.

At the very least Copper and Iron should be visible with mining and then learn how to work them.

^This.

Having to be religious to be a pacifist makes no sense whatsoever.

7. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

Not appearing on the game map doesn't mean you can't SEE it. It just means you can't USE it. Therein lies the root of the problem. Civ4 has a lot of abstract bits in it. This is one of them.

8. QuixotesGhost

QuixotesGhost Warlord

No one went around saying "There's OIL in them thar hills!" before people knew what oil could be used for.

Seriously, check ancient literature. How many times does the phrase "There's OIL in them that hills!" appear? Zero times.

9. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

However, you can discover oil before you can use it...anyone here get Scientific Method AFTER Combustion here?

10. tdy99

tdy99 Prince

Whales kind of bother me. It doesn't effect gameplay, but why have a resource that is only available for about 1/3rd of the game? Someone really didn't think that through very well. Either make it exploitable from fishing or sailing, or have it not go obsolete so quickly.

Ludicrous city placement by the AI. There's nothing more annoying than having a little patch of tundra somewhere outside of your borders, but otherwise surrounded by your territory, and then seeing an AI city pop up there. Just because there aren't many people living in Montana doesn't mean that the Japanese or Russians could sneak 10,000 settlers in there, found a city, and then claim it as their territory.

11. Matty R

Matty R Veteran Newbie

I don't like the constant pestering from AIs to go to war, especially when I'm in a war already and have my main offensive units pre-occupied.

I hated that aswell, so i modded the files to make all resources visible from the start. :)

12. nfw

nfw King

Battle of the Pyramids?

13. nfw

nfw King

No SMAC style supply crawler to work tiles outside of BFC.

Diplomacy that seems to be coded just to annoy the human players.

14. kristopherb

kristopherb Protective/Charismatic

I have two..
    1 the one movement every standard unit seems to get, it takes my axemen 50-1 years to cross over a farm?
    2 Current Rock Paper scissors combat unit method, i'd like to see Heavy and light infantry/cavalry in the early stages. Basicly we need a semi major overhaul of the combat system.

Anyway i love these threads its people griping and not doing a thing about it. These ideas seem great but seeing as there are multiple mods out there and no chance of a new patch ever, i think we might to create a community mod.

15. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Yes, that's true. Adding a, say, 9 Strength Medieval Infantry unit and reducing the Maceman's strength to 7 would be fitting, as it would make it a little bit easier to take cities and it would give a use to the Landsknecht.

16. G-Max

G-Max Deity

Wait, whut?

That's nowhere near as bad as Fascism -> Mount Rushmore...

Actually, that's EXACTLY what it means.

At the very least, I should be able to eat horses and use their hides for armor prior to learning how to ride them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_petroleum

"The earliest known oil wells were drilled in China in 347 AD or earlier. They had depths of up to about 800 feet (240 m) and were drilled using bits attached to bamboo poles.[2] The oil was burned to evaporate brine and produce salt. By the 10th century, extensive bamboo pipelines connected oil wells with salt springs."

:D

17. ZeroM

ZeroM Warlord

I would like it if machine guns were implemented better. They should be more than strictly defensive. I'd maybe give them offensive capability but perhaps limited mobility, or perhaps allow them to give defensive fire of neighboring units. I'd also like to see artillery used for defensive fire/counter battery attacks..I'd keep machine guns as a separate weapon and let it modernize, and introduce anti aircraft artillery with flight, that can upgrade to SAM's with the jet age.

I also wish helicopters were better used, perhaps with some sort of air cav setup.

18. G-Max

G-Max Deity

That's another thing that bugs me... Cavalry should upgrade to tanks, not choppers!

19. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

You want to substantiate that with a quote from someone?

20. G-Max

G-Max Deity

First, look up the definition of "appear".

Then, look up the definition of "see".

If necessary, also look up the definitions of words like "reveal" and "visible".

Trust me, they're all related.