1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Things you only just now realized

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by nefloyd, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Don't have a screenie, but it would look like:

O|3|4|O
    |O|6|4|O
    O|3|4|O

With O being water and the number the Moai culture yield.

2. beetle

beetle Deity

Thanks, that is similar to what I came up with. Note that your city has to be founded an island exactly one hex away from a skinny peninsula. I remain skeptical that this happens enough to be practical to look for. Maybe I have not played with Maya on fractals enough?

3. TheGrumpyBuddha

TheGrumpyBuddha King

And if you get lucky you can get sixes next to each other -- note that just because the last line will be 4 tiles away from your cap doesn't mean that it won't boost the culture of the moia three tiles away...

|CAP
    O|3|4|O
    |O|6|4|O
    O|5|6|O
    |3|4|3|O

Just this setup here, in the cap, with all modifiers, might be worth 200 tourism -- I forget the goofy math.

4. TheGrumpyBuddha

TheGrumpyBuddha King

I find Archipelago is the way to go. Ideally you want a nice stretch of a two-tile-wide island, with occasional bumps that make it three-wide. They're definitely out there.

Just a two-tile wide island will get you a ton of fives -- 'C' is the cap.

|O|O|O|O|O|O|O|O|O|
    O|3|5|5|4|C|4|5|5|3|O
    |O|4|5|5|4|4|5|5|4|O
    O|O|O|O|O|O|O|O|O|

And even better, if you can get it (getting close the ideal here, though):

|O|O|3|O|O|O|O|3|O|O|
    O|3|6|6|4|C|4|6|6|3|O
    |O|4|6|6|5|5|6|6|4|O
    O|O|O|3|O|3|O|3|O|O|

5. beetle

beetle Deity

Oh, tip of a thin peninsula, don’t know how I missed that! Thanks!

6. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

The problem is that your island / peninsula almost certainly has resources on it that will break up the Moai chain, and workers don't have the option to choose to build a Moai instead of a pasture or quarry.

7. Calouste

Calouste Deity

That's not correct. You can build a Moai on top of any resource. Of course you won't get the benefit of the normal improvement, so it isn't a great idea to build Moai on top of luxury or strategic resources, but it is definitely an option on top of bonus resources.

8. TheGrumpyBuddha

TheGrumpyBuddha King

Yes, they do. I do it all the time.

EDIT: Calouste beat me to it. Generally I hold off doing this until the end, but it can be worth doing after you have all your tourism-boosters (Internet, etc.) for that extra 100 tourism or so. Depends whether you think losing 1 or 2 production is worth getting an extra 6 or 7 culture (the culture from the pasture, let's say, plus the boost in culture to all the adjoining tiles). So sometimes it's worth doing earlier.

9. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

Really? But I've wanted to do stuff like put trading posts on bananas or mine a sheep hill, and it doesn't have the option.

Or am I missing a super secret worker button?

10. WickedSmurf

WickedSmurf pr0

One thing I just now realised:

XCOM Squad is a gunpowder unit.

(didn't bother to browse all 30 pages of this thread, had it been mentioned already then meh, meh on meh).

11. Calouste

Calouste Deity

Moai are the exception. You can't build any other improvement on a resource unless it is the improvement appropriate for that resource. Moai won't count as improving that resource though, so luxuries and strategics aren't connected, and you can't build a stable if you have a Moai on a Sheep etc.

12. Kark

Kark Mad berserker

You have a ranged unit (in my case a Keshik) with ranged promotions (Barrage I, II, III and Accuracy I, II, III). When upgrading to a non-ranged unit (Cavalry) you keep the +45 bonuses for rough and open terratin. But if you promote to Drill I or Shock I, the bonus is reduced to +15.

13. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

Don't feel like going through this whole thread to see if someone else mentioned this, since it's kind of minor, but I just realized the other day that the workers wipe sweat off of their foreheads.

14. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

Just discovered that going over 20 Unhappy faces causes one of your cities to revolt and join a rival Civ! That`s never happened before must be one of the expansion`s changes. Got me totally by surprise.

What a downer.

15. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

When one of the world projects is being built, if you hover over the part of the city label that shows what the city is working on (of a city of yours that is working on the project) it will show you the gradually increasing "percentage built" throughout the interturn. I don't know how well it matches up to the icon showing which civ's turn it is, and I don't know whether anybody's eyes/mind are quick enough to take it in, but it could conceivably give valuable information about which civs are putting in what kind of effort on the project.

16. johnny_rudeboy

johnny_rudeboy Warlord

You can actually discover if another civ is working on a wonder, even before you get a spy in their capital if you have a scout that can see their territory (preferably out side their capital) since when you start building a wonder an unfinished version of it appears outside the city where it is built.

17. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

A.k.a. Things that make you go "Doh!"

That it takes 3 turns for Swedes to get their 90 influence gifting bonus.
    That the CS gifts can have a cascading effect, i.e. two CS demand jewelry. Gift a general to a mercantile. Gain 3 allies.

That your palace has an art slot.
    That I have a theming bonus sitting right there this whole time and all I had to do was swap where the GW are located.
    That hoarding and theming GW significantly impacts your culture as well--not just your tourism.
    That if you complete Oxford earlier as soon as you have two Great writings, you can swap them with other civs and get a theming bonus really early; possibly even getting Exotic on a couple civs before ideologies even come out.
    That France should do just that.

18. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Thats why its worth building Oxford university because you get the extra gw of writing tourism earlier with theming bonus. Oxford can be built earlier than later for more expensive techs because of this.

19. krc

krc King

If you fortify inquisitors (or maybe other civilian units) in all your cities and set religion to buy an engineer when faith is available, nothing will ever get purchased.

You can exploit this to save faith while you finish rationalism, and then quickly pop out a couple of faith-bought scientists.

20. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

^^Oh ok, so you do that to prevent the automatic great prophet purchase? If so, why not build a shrine? You will end up with way more faith and be able to purchase way more great scientists that way.