1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Things you only just now realized

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by nefloyd, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Sorry, but that does not avoid the auto-purchase of Great Prophets prior to entering the Industrial Era. And once you enter the Industrial Era (and have the option of buying Great Engineers with faith, assuming you finished Tradition), you can set your default to "Remind me later." There is no need for the convolutions you describe.

2. krc

krc King

Actually, I did intend to say that it avoids the auto-purchase of great prophets. But now I have to go back and see if I can find the game saves to test whether that is what was actually happening.

3. beetle

beetle Deity

This is not an exploit, but kind of a bug. Yes, civilian units prevent auto purchase of GP (and missionaries and inquisitors). But you don't have to turn auto purchase on!

I think you meant to assert that civilians prevent the pre-industrial automatic spawning of GPr, but that is not the case.

4. Primacide

Primacide Settler

That prophets do NOT suffer attrition in your borders.

"Oh look, Ethernopia is sending a great prophet into my borders. Mehehe - he will die long before he reaches my cap.."

[Athens has adopted a new religion.]

"NOOOOOOO!"

(Not to mention all those times I could have wiped out a competing religion but didn't.)

5. krc

krc King

I found the saved games and checked. You (and Browd) are correct. It does not prevent the automatic spanning of Great Prophets. It does prevent the automatic purchase of other great people. And I agree that it's a bug.... And, in keeping with the topic of this thread, I did just realize that this bug was present, after years of playing Civ5.

6. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I just now realized that upgrading the carthage African forest elephant to a knight doesn't let the knight keep the elephant fear bonus -10% to enemies.

7. Doktor Vic Tim

Doktor Vic Tim King

Not all promotions are retained.

Although it would be silly if Carthagian Knights had the Fearsome Elephant promotion. What, are their knights wearing Elephant masks?

8. m15a

m15a Emperor

This isn't a bug. You can't buy a unit of a certain type (civilian, land, or sea I think) if there is already one in the city tile. The automatic purchase option doesn't break that rule.

9. Dr. D

Dr. D Warlord

I hadn't realized until today that if you purchase a holy warrior unit with faith, you can mouse over the unit and it lists the religion of the unit just like a missionary or great prophet would be labeled. I bought a composite bowman using the holy warrior belief and when I moused over the unit, it said "Spanish Composite Bowman - Catholicism"... there's no benefit to this but I thought it was an interesting quirk.

10. FaohKi

FaohKi Guard of the East

We can lock and unlock our tiles to get better hammer or food etc. Yea, I just learned :(

After learning that, Luxuries, Strategic sources etc. became more valuable -Insert *You don't say* meme here- :D

11. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

I just learn yesterday that Heathen conversion instantly convert the barbarian for free. I thought that it would like using missionary convert option with "conversion bomb". which using the missionary convert point.

Imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when I first saw this and realize I just finished Borobadur few turns ago with 20-hex island on the south infested with barbarian army and navy :)

Yesterday is the first time that I unknowingly spent few turn with -70% production in all city because I converted too many barb :lol:

12. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I was recently pleasantly surprised to discover that HC works while embarked as well as against ships. But be careful - I converted an entire 4 tile island filled with barbs only to discover that none of them had Embarkation and were stranded there forever :(

13. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

I have never used Heathen conversion. I'm going to go home and play a super religious game with raging barbs and few civs... just to see what that looks like.

Fun.

14. iamO

iamO Chieftain

I'd never knew the patronage finisher could get you UUGPs, I just has a Austrian merchant of Venice in my last game.

15. shaglio

Just keep a careful eye on your finances. I found it all too easy to overconvert and wreck my treasury, and thus my research rate.

16. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Right? With piety it is very difficult to keep good finance. Tradition and maybe liberty make it easier to handle a treasury.

17. Sessy

Sessy Prince

not exactly, in an extreme case you can throw a settler over and make a city. then they can all learn to swim :D

18. Dr. D

Dr. D Warlord

Sounds like perfect city-state gift material to me!

19. shaglio

Well, where the heck were you two when I was playing that game? :cry: I just disbanded them for the meager gold, and because I couldn't afford the maintenance on them anyway.

20. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

I was one turn from getting a great scientist naturally and then they gifted a (pretty useless late game) engineer and that pushed back the scientist :(