Things you think should be added. Also a place to cry.

CaesarKyros

Chieftain
I think the title is pretty self-explanatory, so I will start.

ROME:

IMPROVE THE LEGION

--Add a promotion that increases strength when next to other melee units
--Add siege 1 and cover 1. (represents legions very famous ability to siege and their missile-resistant formations) :spear:

REMOVE THE BALLISTA

--The siege/cover legion will be more than capable of taking a city
--The ballista was a boring unit with not much improvement over the catapult
--Would add the possibility of a UB
--Would add power to the legion line

ADD UB: GREAT BATH

--Replaces ampitheatre
--Adds 3 happiness, +2 culture, +1 production
--Would aid in long, drawn-out campaigns
--Would blend well with new UA
--The Baths of Caracalla World Wonder

NEW UA: MILITARISTIC GENIUS

--Reflects the Roman ingenuity in warfare
--Small amount of science earned upon killing an enemy unit
--Units would have more strength based on your science compared to your enemies
--Science buildings are produced 10 percent quicker

I might do my other favorite civs later (Byzantium, Persia, MURICA, Polynesia)

Some interesting ideas, though I'd probably call a Science per kill Roman UA "Marian Reforms."

I like the flavor already present in the Legion UU (can build Roads and Forts), though I too wish there was a bit more to them. Besides Cover I to reflect the Testudo formation, I think that a 50% increase to experience (to reflect the Legion's willingness to adopt enemy formations/tactics/weapons), a Pilum throw before melee (similar to the Impi's pre-melee spear throw), or double movement speed on roads (due to a Legion's famed marching abilities) would all be appropriate and flavorful buffs (albeit radical).

My version of a redone Rome?

---

All Roads Lead to Rome
Connecting :c5trade: a city to your :c5capital: Capital by road grants +1 :c5production: Production to your Capital and +2 :c5production: Production to the respective city. Colosseums are maintenance free.

Legion
17 :c5strength: Can build Roads and Forts. Starts with Cover I.

Ballista
8 :c5strength:, 9 :c5rangedstrength: (down from 10). Does not have to set up to attack, unlike the Catapult that it replaces.

---

Note that a city connection grants 2 production to each city and only 1 production to your capital, but that each city connection adds 1 production to your capital. The larger your empire and the better its infrastructure, the more powerful Rome becomes. Free maintenance Colosseums help to maintain order as your empire expands. The Legion is already a powerful unit for its time, so I couldn't justify giving it much of a buff. Cover I is fairly minor, but it is historically appropriate and gives the Legion something it can keep on upgrade. The Ballista was rather boring as merely a stronger Catapult. Removing the set up requirement makes it a dangerous unit (so dangerous I felt that I needed to reduce its combat effectiveness just a bit).

I have some questions and ideas of my own.

--The legions would have the ability to throw their pilum or melee attack. The pilum would do 12 damage but 50 percent more vs fortified units.This would illustrate their effectiveness against (my mind escapes me) Macedonian (?) shields. Rome would not be able to build any composite bowmen obviously.

--I find that the legion's era of effectiveness is very short-lived, and that is why I proposed the extra promotions.

--If a legion were to have the ability to throw a pilum before melee, I feel they would be a weaker copy-paste of impi because the legions do not have unique promotions while impi do.

--Would an upgraded ballista retain the ability to fire without setting up?

--If there were The Baths of Caracalla wonder, what would it do?

--I also find that when building roads to the frontline with legions, they take too long to be of any effectiveness. I think it would be a nice flavour touch if they construct roads in half the time of workers.

In a real battle, would the Impi stand much of a chance against Legions?
The Roman Legions were famous for their maneuvers and formations and extremely resistant to all aerial/archery attacks.

my favourite civilization you say? there are so many!
Byzantium fascinates me, Carthage, Rome, Vikings, Celts, Egypt, Hittites and the aggressive Assyria. The Frankish empire, Slavic tribes-including those which no longer exist, the Picts, all the Mesoamerican tribes, especially Mayas and Incas, Siam and Japan, even Nubia.
Got to say ancient Hellenistic world though is my favourite. The city states, Olympic games in Olympia, the Myths, Troy, the Great Wonders, wars with Persia, Rome, Macedonia and Carthage. Would like to see Spartan(s) as unit. Stronger than Hoplite, but available to be built only in Sparta or cities colonized by Spartan settler/colonist.
There would be trick to the Spartan unit though, the more victories by Spartan units the more likely the outbreak of civil war, Sparta declaring itself the capital of Greece, led by Leonidas.
City state government would offer more benefits than monarchy or despotism but bring with it the danger of a civil war.
Did I bore you to sleep?

Top Bottom