Thinking About Trying Humankind Again

steveg700

Deity
I get Humankind on Epic as soon as the early access was available. Didn't really hit the mark back then.

I'm a big fan of the exploration "X", which came and went pretty early, and the region system means non-military eXpansion plateaus not long after.

That was a long time ago tho. I don't even remember there being an event system. What's it like now? What is the mid and late game for a peaceful balder player?

Siptah

Eternal Chieftain
In my opinion, the game improved a lot, and a massive patch is right around the corner, so maybe you want to wait for that.

How fast non-militaristic expansion stops depends pretty much on the map and settings. If you choose more continents than players or to have a new world, it can go on much longer (but you might need to fight some independent people). Doesn’t work with 10 player maps of course. If you want to get the most out of exploration and peaceful expansion, the Africa DLC added the Bantu for exactly that.
If you really want to play peacefully, there is now a button when you start the game that lowers the aggressiveness for the AI.
Balance and pacing is much better (although still not optimal in my opinion), which makes the building aspect more fun.
Pollution thresholds were reduced drastically, so you can also build more of the modern stuff until it gets problematic, and at the same time you have more options to lower pollution now. If it still annoys you, the upcoming patch will allow to disable the pollution mechanic altogether.

Last edited:

steveg700

Deity
Thanks. My first plays in the alpha, the game didn't even go to the point where pollution was a thing. And then later I'd stop playing before then as the game felt fully explored and there were no more surprises.

I appreciate all the tips. I'll go YouTube info on the patch.

Lazy sweeper

Warlord
Game still stutter audio wise a lot. But many bugs are now fixed.
Can have some pretty fun gameplays. No need DLC.
Vanilla is pretty solid.

DrCron

Prince
The game has improved a lot, but unless you start with the peaceful mode turned on (which completely stops the AI from ever declaring a war) it's still very much a war game. Aggressive strategies will always be better, because of how the game was designed.

Atlas627

Deity
Why do you feel that Expansion plateaus quickly? Are you thinking of expansion as coloring the regions your color? You still aren't actually exploiting the land, so have you really expanded into it? If you want a peaceful game, what does expansion really mean? You've removed the only thing that counters quickly claiming regions, so of course you run out of land to claim.

Siptah

Eternal Chieftain
The game has improved a lot, but unless you start with the peaceful mode turned on (which completely stops the AI from ever declaring a war) it's still very much a war game. Aggressive strategies will always be better, because of how the game was designed.
Better, yes. But on Empire and Nation levels, it is quite possible to play and compete in games without peaceful mode or constant warring/taking advantage of the AI. For me, when I want to play more peaceful, this is much more fun than the actual peaceful mode - which feels quite boring to me, with no threat besides a few IPs in the beginning.

DrCron

Prince
Better, yes. But on Empire and Nation levels, it is quite possible to play and compete in games without peaceful mode or constant warring/taking advantage of the AI. For me, when I want to play more peaceful, this is much more fun than the actual peaceful mode - which feels quite boring to me, with no threat besides a few IPs in the beginning.
That might be true. I only play on HK difficulty so I have forgotten what is viable in lower levels.

Mesix

The Allfather
I gave Humankind a try again. I played through an entire game from beginning to end. There is nothing in particular that I can point a finger at and say, "I don't like this element of the game," but it just seemed boring...especially in the late game. I was clicking end turn over and over again waiting for the end to come.

Top Bottom