Thinking of getting Civ5...

NightKev

Chieftain
However, considering the mass of complaints about diplomacy/bugs/etc, should I wait until it inevitably goes on sale or something, when hopefully some of the issues will be taken care of?

The game is okay and i played so far for 377 hours with no major issue at all (maybe 2 crashes that's it, reloaded with auto save on the same turn), game is great worth every penny, as i said 377 hours and still willing to play it any time.

I would say if your not keen on the game wait for a sale.

It has already been on steam sale once and can be found at various prices at various on-line stores (all use steam). If you are not desperate to play it right at this minute it's always worth looking about for the best price or waiting for the next sale. If you do want to play it now then try the demo to see how it works on your hardware first. Many people have a trouble free experience, remember the ones with problems tend to post most about it. It may not be perfect (it's much better than it was), but it's given me a lot of hours play.

If you can get it for free, then its worth every penny.
Else I wouldnt recommend it. But every gamer has different perspective, so its kind of hard to give advice from the small input you give.

ex. I very much dislike Civ5, but LOVED civ4, wasnt very happy about civIII but played Civ2 ToT to death. Other people like III and V. I think if you are a casual'ish gamer you'd like Civ V more than the average, but on the other hand, some hardcore strategic players swear that civ 5 is da'bomb.

For me its not the bugs or diplo that turns me off. Its the gameplay experience in general.
Its just plain boring, with so much stuff "gone wrong" imho. But then again, I came from Civ4 BtS RoM, so vs civ 5 it seemed like chess and checkers. Simple, streamlined or dumbed down. none of that has been fixed in patches.

However, considering the mass of complaints about diplomacy/bugs/etc, should I wait until it inevitably goes on sale or something, when hopefully some of the issues will be taken care of?
It's a lot better now (as of the 275 patch) than it was at launch, but there's still a fair bit wrong with it and awaiting patches.

The next patch will supposedly deal with balance issues and will add a "much requested" game element, but even still, I imagine that unless the next patch is massive and deals with the vast majority of remaining issues, there will still be issues for subsequent patches to fix.

If you're in no rush, wait for another few months, or at least wait for the next patch and see what everybody has to say about it.

I've played the game for almost 900 hours now, pre-purchased the game and have played it since it's UK launch. It's quite a lot better now than at launch, but it's still Civ5, which means that if you were hoping for an enhanced version of Civ4, you may be disappointed as a lot of the good stuff from Civ4 isn't in Civ5.

I would wait until it goes on sale, simply because it seems to go on sale a lot; just keep an eye out for a sale somewhere (Steam, Direct2Drive, any of the traditional game/electronics stores, etc.) and grab it when it's cheaper.

As for the game, it's in a much better state, and is quite enjoyable IMO right now. With another patch coming in ~1 month, it should get even better.

The game is very good right now, all the patches/updates since launch have gotten it to a point that even most of the civ5 haters from last fall are more like "I don't like very much" instead of "it sucks and shafer is the DEVIL!!" However, there are frequent sales, and especially with all the DLC content I'd keep my eyes open for a gold/goty edition with everything included.

If you like TBSG, then Civ V is among the few and elite. It is only at the Vanilla stage, and we are expecting expansions and additional DLC and map packs in the future. It is definitely a great TBSG and worth the money.

Civ5's very fun now, though apparently things were rockier in the early going, which a handful of posters have never gotten over. I have yet to run into a game-killing bug, and play seems pretty balanced. I've had the same all-day (or all-night) sessions that I recall from earlier versions. The DLCs add a lot of fun civilizations - Polynesia and the Inca are among my favorites now - and more patches are coming to further refine play and smooth out problems. You do have to have a computer capable of running the game, accept that you're playing a game rather than a historical simulation, and be open to learning how the game actually works rather than moaning about how you'd design it if only Firaxis had been smart enough to hire you, though.

If you do not like deep strategy but like the tactical combat concept, then you might like this game a lot. If you want something to delve deeper into, go for something else, though.

If you are a strategy gamer, then think carefully... your money would probably be better spent in something more... strategic.

If you are a wargamer, then think carefully... your money would be better spent in a true and good wargame.

This thing fails at both.

vincentz has wise words for you: try before you buy.

I suspect most of the complainers are like me. Overall, I enjoy the game quite a bit. But what'll happen is some one thing will act quirky and I'll vent-post.

Don't take that as an overall, "this game sucks!" indictment. It's good fun, and basically stable now.

(It did have some scroll-crash problems for me at first, everyone's machine is a different but seems like most real problems are fixed.)

If diplo is important to you, honestly, no. Dont buy.
But the rest of the game is actually ok. Shallow, yes, but OK.

I absolutely hated the initial version, but after they fixed the biggest issues (infinite city spam, horsemen rush etc) it seems a quite good strategy game now. It probably still hasn't depth and replayability of Civ4 but in its current shape it's quite good value for money IMO.

Steam has big sales in the Summer. The next big patch is scheduled for June. If you've waited this long for it, you may was well wait another month or so for a sale and pick it up cheaper and more patched.

And yeah, it is considerably better now than it was at release. But you waited this long, so go ahead and wait a bit more.

Buy the Civ IV complete pack first. Civ IV gameplaywise is the superior game, sure there are still stacks-of-doom but they are not too bad and speed up the game compared with 1 unit per tile.

Civ IV has many awesome mods that effectively are complete games in themselves, Fall from Heaven, Rise and Fall, Dune mod and many more.

Don't buy Civ V unless its on sale, in fact wait a few years until it, all its DLC and possible expansion are compiled in a cheap bundle. There will even be more complete (ie on par with the Civ IV mods, no disrespect to Civ V modders as you guys are making the game decent for me but a Fall from Heaven style with Civ V has yet to be released :) ) mods out by that stage too. Buy Civ IV now instead.

Buy the Civ IV complete pack first. Civ IV gameplaywise is the superior game, sure there are still stacks-of-doom but they are not too bad and speed up the game compared with 1 unit per tile.

Civ IV has many awesome mods that effectively are complete games in themselves, Fall from Heaven, Rise and Fall, Dune mod and many more.

Don't buy Civ V unless its on sale, in fact wait a few years until it, all its DLC and possible expansion are compiled in a cheap bundle. There will even be more complete (ie on par with the Civ IV mods, no disrespect to Civ V modders as you guys are making the game decent for me but a Fall from Heaven style with Civ V has yet to be released :) ) mods out by that stage too. Buy Civ IV now instead.

THIS.

Right on spot. You won't be dissapointed. After your smart buy, be sure to add the BUG mod (or even better, the combination of BUG and BetterAI made by Fuyu), and after you learn the game (which will take some time, contrary to the current iteration), you may want to try the immense civ world created by Aforess in his RoM AND mod (which also includes BUG and BetterAI, by the way).

Enjoy!

Well if you like an AI that wil only wants to win and use sneaky unpredictable tactics like betray you even when you are friends or atack you if you are weak and so on...
There are no personallity's in civ 5 olmost every AI acts mostly the same there are just two differents some will hate you more if you go to war others like ghenghis kang will admire you of it... Sow if you like having a challenging war game deffinitly pick it up. If AI is improved could be challenging game but keep in mind that this AI only wants to win and not to make friendly relationships

But if you are like me and some other players who liked civ 4 because of the different personallities and you actually could interact with leader well this is not for you because you will throw your game out of the window like i wanted to do!!!!

It is your choise the oppinion about the game on the forum is different choose what you want...

If diplo is important to you, honestly, no. Dont buy.
But the rest of the game is actually ok. Shallow, yes, but OK.
LIke he says if diplomacy is important dont buy it it is a AI that pure wants to win

Well if you like an AI that wil only wants to win and use sneaky unpredictable tactics like betray you even when you are friends or atack you if you are weak and so on...
There are no personallity's in civ 5 olmost every AI acts mostly the same there are just two differents some will hate you more if you go to war others like ghenghis kang will admire you of it... Sow if you like having a challenging war game deffinitly pick it up. If AI is improved could be challenging game but keep in mind that this AI only wants to win and not to make friendly relationships

But if you are like me and some other players who liked civ 4 because of the different personallities and you actually could interact with leader well this is not for you because you will throw your game out of the window like i wanted to do!!!!

It is your choise the oppinion about the game on the forum is different choose what you want...

LIke he says if diplomacy is important dont buy it it is a AI that pure wants to win

Well there is nothing wrong with AI trying to win to a some degree, but that DOWing when you are considerably winning is just PATHETIC. That is what is wrong.

Because if I gave AI a character, it would be a spoiled unmannered adolescent kid that hates you for no reason and does stupid things because he sees he cannot win.

Alright, I see the best stance to take still is "wait and see", so I'll stick with Civ4 in the meantime then. Thanks for all the input.

Top Bottom